• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

First winter snow are you ready?

• Owner

Well Idaho got its first now. As I type this message the snow is falling and sticking in the yard. So in a hurry this morning I got my winter 265's put on, installed the grill winter fronts, and need to change a thermostat. So is your truck ready for the winter cold and snow?I still want to crawl under check both diff's, transfer case, transmission, and grease the driveline. Then I'll think I'll be ready for old man winter.

we are desperate for any kind of moisture here.... but sure would need a little more time to finish up harvest!Had 2 days of 60+ mph winds last week, and that flattened a lot of corn. Can you imagine Adding a little snow on top of that would compound the problem! So, I COMMAND ol man winter to stay away for another month! *PooF* (waves my magic wand)

we are desperate for any kind of moisture here.... but sure would need a little more time to finish up harvest! Had 2 days of 60+ mph winds last week, and that flattened a lot of corn. Can you imagine Adding a little snow on top of that would compound the problem! So, I COMMAND ol man winter to stay away for another month! *PooF* (waves my magic wand)

Where you at Rancherman??? I was in North Dakota last week, on my annual waterfowl hunting trip....................I forget which days it was, but we had 2 days of sustained 40-45mph winds with gusts up to 70mph. Believe it or not, twas good ducking in those conditions!!!:thumb1: I believe I'm ready for winter.............got the truck ready for the NoDak trip, so I hope I'm good to go!!! Changed oil, oil filters, greased front end and drive line, cleaned air filter, and put emergency stuff back into truck............you know, warm clothes, tools, etc.!! Got all my firewood cut, split, and stacked!!!

"I'm dreaming of a white Christmas!!!"Not yet, but would love to have some... (of course I was hoping for a bit of rain from the tropical that has turned off shore....) Rarely do we get white stuff in front of Christmas. And usually just ice storms... you can have those...Hag

Who adds weight to the bed for more traction....and if so - about how much?? What is typically used for blocking the radiator to help the coolant system not get too chilled? How much is typically blocked?

I put 500lbs back there lol (2 engine blocks) You block the 4 slots of the honeycomb.

Where you at Rancherman??? I was in North Dakota last week, on my annual waterfowl hunting trip....................I forget which days it was, but we had 2 days of sustained 40-45mph winds with gusts up to 70mph. Believe it or not, twas good ducking in those conditions!!!:thumb1:

I believe I'm ready for winter.............got the truck ready for the NoDak trip, so I hope I'm good to go!!! Changed oil, oil filters, greased front end and drive line, cleaned air filter, and put emergency stuff back into truck............you know, warm clothes, tools, etc.!! Got all my firewood cut, split, and stacked!!!

North central Nebraska..

ohh.. geez, FIREWOOD! I knew I forgot something else to do this fall yet@!!@

- - - Updated - - -

Who adds weight to the bed for more traction....and if so - about how much??

What is typically used for blocking the radiator to help the coolant system not get too chilled? How much is typically blocked?

I'll go with 1000 or more in our dually. They should be outlawed when it's slick!:pray:

I agree with ISX, 500 or more in a single wheel app works wonders..

Just make sure to fasten it down! (or at least put it clear to front of box). Keeping towards the rear gives you more traction on rear axle, but it could become a projectile in a hard stop/crash.. you wont like the result!

• Owner

i was gonna take something that wont get soggy and slip it between the gap of the radiator and the intercooler. maybe put a few 1" holes in it.

Good way to get a overheating issue going. I did that a while back with a old beer sign and it was really easy to crerate overheating issues climbing around the hills here. But if you cover the grill then the fan can lock still and draw air throw both the radiator and intercooler. But with your method the fan will lock and can't pull air through.

Posted Image

I don't tow in the off season. I'll run the winter fronts until May. I've been running them 3 years anyway, store flat under the back seat. It still takes a while to warm up & my temp guages stays right at half scale like always. I think the warmer intake air makes the grids run less & gets the truck into lean burn warmed up mode (more economical). Since I'm stock, the overhead is very accurate & immediately shows the differance in mpgs.

Before this, I was in the stupid "throw a cardboard in front of the radiator" mindset... but when I realized that it was blocking much more than just the radiator (think trans cooler, intercooler).

Last year, I replaced the SS hardware with hex head so I could use a socket on my screw gun & fender washers & nynuts.

More on this thread:

http://forum.mopar1973man.com/threads/3147-Winter-Front?highlight=cold+front

Good way to get a overheating issue going. I did that a while back with a old beer sign and it was really easy to crerate overheating issues climbing around the hills here. But if you cover the grill then the fan can lock still and draw air throw both the radiator and intercooler. But with your method the fan will lock and can't pull air through.

ahh thanks mike, i was concerned with that, seemed a perfect spot for something. i wont be doing it now .)

ahh thanks mike, i was concerned with that, seemed a perfect spot for something. i wont be doing it now .)

Another concern is if the cardboard isn't centered and the fan kicks in, it will be blocked on one side and have flow on the other causing an imbalance and can eventually break off into your radiator. So if you do it (or anyone, someone will try it lol) just make sure it's centered using the fan as the midpoint.

Well after near constant nights dipping down into the low 30s and occasional upper 20s weve had 2 days of 80* with night time temps staying well above mid 50s.... well get just enough of this weather to get "comfy" (80 feels hot when your used to 50) and then well get slammed. Such is life on the coast of the great lakes, it can be sunny and in the 40s one day and the next be in the single digits with white out conditions. Lots of lake effect snow storms especially when the lake is still open and we get a good blast from Canada.Just got the wifes trailblazer back on the road today been going over everything on it the last few days as it has been sitting since May. My truck is more or less ready Im just about due for an oil change other than that shes ready for whatever mother nature decides to give us :thumbup2: