• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

new tires and wheels

I am finally gonna get rid of my 35's on wide offset wheels. it looks great but I am gonna downsize a bit and get a more common size wheel. I am replacing the 16.5 inch wheels with 17 inchers and putting on 285/70/17 toyo 2 at's. I assume I will get a little better mpg's ?Luke

That was another reason for the change as well. I just put a new track bar on her and noticed that the steering box has a tad bit of play as well. Any suggestions on a new box ? I heard mixed reviews on the borgeson, so maybe I'll just get a stock box from napa auto parts:shrug:Luke

If I were to try it how much should I tighten it ? Is there a torque value ? or is it an amount of a turn ?

Be carefull when you tighten the over center adjustment. It will cause you to fight the steering wheel if you adjust it too tight. I recommend you only tighter it 1/4 turn at a time the test drive it to see what it feels like.

• Staff

It does look very nice.I just want to say that my steering box had shaft play at 29,000. I was told they do that even when new. So that is why I put on the DSS Steering stabilizer to stop the wear. It will stop the frame from flexing at the steering box area too. I think everyone needs to put on one. :2cents:

• Like 1

What kind of wheels are those? They look sharp! I would love to be able to find a set of 4th gen wheels and run 17s in the summer months and save my Duratracs for winter and spring when Im running oil field equipment for my friend, but in the year plus Ive been looking, have not been able to find anything local. I like the looks of those wheels alot though. They look like they might have a little more offset than factory, or is it just the picture?

My 2001 played 'The Wanderer' more than a 60's radio station and Dion's mom, put together. I put the steering box brace on (sometimes called a steering stabilizer) and it helped tremendously. Took about 80-90% of the 'play' feeling from the steering wheel. It no longer looked like I was cutting wood with a handsaw when I drove.