• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Anyone dyno with and without BHAF ?

I can't see any gains or losses taking place over the stock air box unless you exceed the stock boxes capabilities and then it becomes more of a restriction. I would either do a bhaf or stick with the stock box, the CAI just aren't worth the money unless your strictly going for performance and big power. The typical daily driver really isn't going to benefit from one. Without looking at my records, I'm guessing I've got over 30k on my bhaf and my filter minder has not even moved yet. Lots and lots of life left out of it.

• Owner

Heck even between run you can have a variance of 5-10 HP without changes. If your using a filter minder and there is no vacuum (inches of water column) then there should be no losses. But if the filter is dirty and partially plugged up yes there could be some changes. So now my question is to the dyno runner....Q: How much vacuum was on the filter measured in water column?

Heck even between run you can have a variance of 5-10 HP without changes. If your using a filter minder and there is no vacuum (inches of water column) then there should be no losses. But if the filter is dirty and partially plugged up yes there could be some changes. So now my question is to the dyno runner.... Q: How much vacuum was on the filter measured in water column?

Can't answer that, but bases on replies here there should be no negatives to running the Napa 2790 with outer wares on my truck. No real gain over stock but no loss either , just longer filter life . Sound correct ?

• Owner

As long as there no vacuum sensed inside the filter then you good to go. My first BHAF lasted 7 years and 135K miles before I gave up. The filter minder never moved. Yes I've tested it several times and it always worked. But what got me to change the filter is when the media inside the filter starts to darken in color it was a shade of off-white. Why risk it when the filter served its life well and very long!

I'd like to see some accurate vacuum testing. The filter minder is about as crude as it gets, I'd like to see 0.1 vacuum precision and I could probably calculate everything based on that. I mean the dyno is testing it at max boost so although it's probably insignificant during cruising, it could make a difference during WOT. I'm not sure though, but would love to find out.

• Owner

For longevity of the truck Yes I would use a BHAF.

As for washable media filter I highly suggest against them. More people do damage to there trucks from dirt and dust being inhaled by the engine from a damage filter.

This is bad news and very common with washable media filter...

Posted Image

BHAF... No dirt will enter the turbo or engine which is a good thing... Better for longevity....

Posted Image

• Staff

My stock air box started to leak some dust onto the turbo blades. It was a small amount. I found it one day when I had the intake tube off to make room for changing the oil filter.My filters are always clean so it had to be the air box not holding a good seal against the filter any longer. Over time I know plastic can distort and start to shrink. Especially in the sun, I've seen it time and time again on boat parts, car parts and vinyl siding. My truck is painted black so it gets very hot in the summer. Not only that but the metal clips that hold the air box together weren't holding tightly any longer thus loosing a good seal against dust intrusion.For this reason I would put on the BHAF.I did end up remodeling my stock air box with a block plane (shaved it off some) to squeeze tighter against the filter instead of squeezing the plastic to plastic housing. I have several stock filters from a while back still to go.

Ok, picking up the 2790 tomorrow , since this filter has no wire on the inside to hold the media, has anyone had any problems with the media coming apart and entering the engine ?

I didn't. However, when I ran one I could never figure out how to properly secure it to the turbo inlet hose. So, I gave up and sold the truck :lmao2: Seriously though, I do want to figure out a secure way to mount a BHAF. I have an ARE air filter mount that I am thinking of modifying to fit, but I haven't had the time yet. I am thinking of a steel tube internal to the bhaf outlet that runs into the turbo inlet tube, then clamping the crap out of the bhaf to that tube in its inlet.

• Owner

Simple. Insert the neck of the of the BHAF into the intake tube and tighten clamp just snug. Don't crank it super tight it will deform the plastic and keep popping off. If you want to beef up the neck just insert a piece of 4" exhaust pipe inside the BHAF neck and tighten the same way.

• Like 1

Another thing you can do is use a piece of wood (1"x6") about 7" long and mount it under the BHAF to keep the filter off the A/C line and bolts holding the air filter box in place. Pull the stock box and set the board on top of the bolts sticking up. Take a hammer and gently tap on it to put impressions of the three bolts in it. Take the board out and drill a hole where the bolt impressions are using a slightly smaller drill bit. Then using the hammer again, line up the drilled holes with the bolts and tap it into place. It will stay and then just let the filter just sit on the board. That is all there is to it! My last BHAF lasted well over 100,000 miles and so should yours!

• Like 2

I just insert the filter into the intake tube and clamp it. I also built a cradle for it using a piece 1" wide aluminum I had laying around. I holds the filter up off of everything. It is bolted to the original bolts that held the stock air box.

My truck came with an S&B CAI oiled filter and I think the oil is getting sucked out of it...every engine oil change I wipe my turbo clean and next change it's dirty again (only 3,750 mile intervals). I'm either going BHAF or replacement dry filter. I'll post again in a week If I switch set ups