• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Gentlemen, 

I have done a few searches and I just want to be sure: That these Cummins engines are the coolest running motors around.  I have driven this truck about 500 miles since owning it and I have learned it takes forever to warm up, and when it does, a red light will knock the gauge back down to lower normal. I think its great, and though the wife wants the heat on full blast in June, once the truck warms up to mid gauge, the heat is HOT HOT HOT!

I already made some homemade winter fronts to fit in the grille with some custom cut black acrylic sheet, so I'm asking- This is normal or no?

AP

yes that seem normal. your temp shouldn't go much above the 200 mark., if it's fluctuating alot then you might do a radiator flush and a T-stat.

change the oil puke bottle, Moparman has a mod here about a way he did his. the back side of the rad might be plugged up with oil.

Back of rad is clean, first think I looked at before buying- puke bottle is wet but not destroyed. I wonder If I should to a T-stat just to be proactive. The gauge will fall some on a normal temp day, but that day was like 9 above F, normally once its warmed up it stays there. I would say by only 3 drives to work it usually is leveled off as I'm parking. That's a 10 mile commute with 8 being highway.

Thanks

AP

Edited by AGPTurbo

It should sit right at 190 degrees regardless of temp. If it's fluctuating you likely have a flukey stat. Once warmed up my truck will sit right at 190 whether its 40 degrees or -10. Aftermarket units are a crap shoot at best, you would be money ahead to buy a Cummins stat once and be done with it.

In 10 miles my truck won't reach temp on cold days. Never see 190, when it's cold. And if mine does say on a longer trip and I sit at idle to long it'll drop to 180.

But mine will go to 205-210 warming up.

Thinking about it maybe I need a new t-stat also.

Even when mine was new it was hard to warm up in cold weather. I have sat at lights and watched t drop 20* rather quick in really cold weather. On short trips to work in the morning(10 miles of less)with stop and go driving I would never see 190*. The only way I found to get up to temp was to drive on the highway and eliminate the stop and go. This was without winter fronts and below freezing. It is not uncommon to see this.

Edited by dripley

If you lose heat at a stoplight, I would agree with the thermostat.

Ed

Not always. At an idle if I have the fan switch on high it will col my 2012 WV TDI down real quick sitting still. Even our Cummins have that problem.