• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

I had to smog my truck on Saturday and the tech told me I passed, but barely.  then he told me to check my exhaust myself next year. 

I asked him how should I do this?  he said "snap the gas and check the tail pipe for smoke".   As I was trying not to laugh, I asked the tech - what if it smokes what should I do?  He said you should definitely take it to the dealership.

Funny thing, my truck is completely stock, and brought it to him hot and it doesn't smoke.  I think he was concerned over my mileage.

So to prepare for this next time around, does anyone have a good cat from a 2nd gen 24v they want to sell?

oh, and don't forget to snap your gas!

You can even just rent one from DAP. Rent it, put it on half power mode, do the smog test, return to stock and send it back. Works real slick. On another thought, I dont know if I have ever seen a 2nd gen with a CAT on it. Did they ever come with one?

Yep. Mine did and yes, they do plug up........

• Like 1

I know the EPA has introduced new rules about testing, but has it not always been that any OBD vehicle just had a code check?

Like when I had to do emissions on my old mazda truck, I would have to run on a dyno and they would stick a sniffer in the exhuast to measure emissions, but when I got my 98 gmc truck, they just tested the fuel cap for vacuum and put the code reader on then I was on my way.

Maybe some areas do dynos, etc in combo and do it to diesels now, I dunno. I always thought a diesel just had a code check and that was it..