• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

grandpa's truck what to do

so inherited grandpa's 94 regular cab long box 4x4 auto trans... 94000 km's not sure how many miles... 50k maybe... it's been sitting in a garage for 5 years without being started... seeing as i don't have much money how long can i let it sit there??? some people say i can start it some say drain all the diesel?  Thinking it's been sitting for 5 years what's a few more... garage is heated and truck is mint... probably worth keeping.  

I have 3 kids so the regular cab doesn't work for us... breaks my heart to even think of selling this truck

The fuel may be good still... You can check it out at the filter.  I am not a 1st gen guy but there should be a drain or at least you should be able to remove the filter and look at the fuel.  Diesel doesn't degrade as fast as gasoline and the 1st gens aren't so picky as the new common rails. 

It very well may start up just fine.  i would change the oil before using it a lot or parking it again, as the detergents and whatnot are likely degraded quite a bit.  

It also might have lost prime in the fuel system, if so you would have to reprime it.  I doubt it though.  

Honestly though, if it were mine, I would probably connect the batteries, smell the fuel, check theoil and fire it up.  I would watch for oil pressure to come up within 15sec and then after I get a feel for how it runs (good or bad) I would shut down, change the oil, and move on from there.  

I take it you aren't in the USA?  Got any photos of the truck?

Edited by CSM

• Staff

For normal mantainance you want to be on a miles schedule so I would at least change the oil and filter first before starting. so I knew that was changed. Oil is hydroscopic in addition to what CSM said so I would want fresh oil before starting. Check the fuel and change the fuel filters if needed.

• Staff

I would take pics of this truck for us before you do anything, might be able to help you better if we can see what your working on. ;)

Do I detect an ulterior motive? Ryan probably wants to make you an offer on this truck. Wish I could find a manual 12 valve to replace my first gen work truck.

• Owner

What is that thing at the top?

About right it's a boat anchor. It the new Ford 6.4L diesel. I've worked around a few of those and absolutely hate them. Just un-real the amount of BS in the way you have to remove to just find a valve cover or a head.

This is why I love looking back at the past and holding tight to my 24 valve 2nd Gen truck because I know it works and its simple to repair. This is a good reason to hold on to your Grandfather 1st gen and leave it unmolested. You won't find them like that any more that's for sure... Kind of like looking back at old school muscle cars and how little was under the hood just engine. Now today there is so much stuff you can't find the top of the engine if you wanted to.

I just wish Dodge made a truck 4 door version. 

Every day I

1.open Craigslist

2. search for 95-97 obs f350 CCLB with a blown 460/7.3/auto/5speed

3. Get super disappointed. 

Hopefully someday I will find a good shell to scrap dodge body.

• 3 weeks later...

I just wish Dodge made a truck 4 door version. 

Every day I

1.open Craigslist

2. search for 95-97 obs f350 CCLB with a blown 460/7.3/auto/5speed

3. Get super disappointed. 

Hopefully someday I will find a good shell to scrap dodge body.

They did... 2003 Common Rail and up. :tongue:

He wants bigger, so 2006 and up is what he wants

I can't afford to keep one of those on the road, plus the backseat is tiny compared to a CC obs

Not sure what you mean by not being able to afford to keep a 3rd ge going, after 3 2nd gens my 05 has been the best of the best and I rarely touch it plus I was thinking more along the lines of 06+ Mega cab. :tongue:

I hear that from many down south, the 3rd gens around here can be found all over for mid teens for ones in good shape, there are the few who think they are still worth upper 20's to low 30k but they usually stay for sale for long periods of time and disappear off the classified sites and reappear and so on.

i'd take a 94 haha.

Nice looking truck.

a 97 could be better but beggers can't be choosers.  I had a chance to buy a gasser cclb f350 think it was a 95 for a $1000.  Still kick myself for passing.