• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Teardown and Rebuild

• Owner

Man, you have more contamination on your fingers Tyler, I'm going to send you a box of rubber gloves to start wearing, after all the patient (24 Valve) deserves the best care. I wouldn't leave a finger print on it. Have you had good success using NAPA filters? I told my brother to use Fleetguard, I wish I could remember what Michael shared with me on that. I'll go back and read the post again.    

Even at work some guys like using gloves and other like myself hate them. Yeah they keep you hand cleaner for all about the first few minutes till you snag a sharp piece of metal and it tears. Where normal skin would slide over. Now sloppy jobs like packing bearings yes I'll wear gloves save me from washing all the grease off.

As for NAPA filter I'm using them now as well. 120 mile round trip or 250 mile round trip for Fleetguard filters is just getting too much.

• Like 2

Mike is right, and my hands are so callused it makes it hard to feel small bolts. Couple that with gloves and I'd be dropping bolts left and right :lol:

I filled up this morning. 220 or so miles and netted 19.2mpg :woot:  :hyper: I haven't been driving very nice, the engine isn't completely broke in yet, I have been turing much higher rpms than normal, I went and drove up a mountain pass, and I don't think my speedo is calibrated (I'm going further than the odo says because of larger tires.) Hopefully the mileage will continue to get better :drool:  :evilgrin:

• Like 1

Mike is right, and my hands are so callused it makes it hard to feel small bolts. Couple that with gloves and I'd be dropping bolts left and right :lol:

I filled up this morning. 220 or so miles and netted 19.2mpg :woot:  :hyper: I haven't been driving very nice, the engine isn't completely broke in yet, I have been turing much higher rpms than normal, I went and drove up a mountain pass, and I don't think my speedo is calibrated (I'm going further than the odo says because of larger tires.) Hopefully the mileage will continue to get better :drool:  :evilgrin:

if you are running 35" tires, you will be appx 5mph slow on the speedo @"45mph and above" per gps readings

I may have missed it but what spray liner kit did you use? Thanks in advance

It's called Raptor Liner

if you are running 35" tires, you will be appx 5mph slow on the speedo @"45mph and above" per gps readings

I think they are 31.6 or somewhere in that area. Stock size for a 2012. Thank you though!

Little update..... This thing has me really frustrated at the moment

The bad: The truck has begun to knock again.... I look around and find #1 and #3 injector lines leaking at the crossover tube - injection line contact area. I'm now looking for a used set of lines to see if that'll clear things up. It was running really well for the short time the lines were sealed so.... not sure what else it could be.

The good: Other than its annoying knocking, the engine seems to be running really well. It has almost no blowby coming from either tube and I've go just shy of 600 miles on it. I have thrown the smarty  back on. I set it on level 1 with the timing on 3 and the rest of the parameters set to stock. Scary thing is the truck pulls harder on #1 than it ever did on #9 before the aftermarket parts. It really is impressive (to me anyway) I've just been very careful about smoke and have let the turbo spool before really getting after it. There is also zero smoke at WOT, not even a haze.

I did a 0 - 95mph run and the max I saw on EGTs was 1175 while the ambient temp was 86*. Really shows how the cam has helped move the air on the top end.

I've also noticed it's much harder to bark the turbo. Before I could let off hard at 10psi and 1600 rpms and the turbo would bark 3-4 times. Now it won't even do it once. 

I replaced the condenser tonight and got the A/C charged up (Along with pag oil of course.) After 5 min of idling and the fan clutch disengaged, the vents in the center were blowing 26* air. When it was 86* outside too! 

I've still got to replace the vacuum pump to timing case gasket, and the PS pump to vacuum pump seal. I'm hoping to get that either tomorrow or Wednesday but we'll see if there's any hay to be done. 

I'm hoping to get a few videos up if everyone would like to see.

Even at work some guys like using gloves and other like myself hate them. Yeah they keep you hand cleaner for all about the first few minutes till you snag a sharp piece of metal and it tears. Where normal skin would slide over. Now sloppy jobs like packing bearings yes I'll wear gloves save me from washing all the grease off.

As for NAPA filter I'm using them now as well. 120 mile round trip or 250 mile round trip for Fleetguard filters is just getting too much.

You are Killing me, both of you. My humor must be pretty bad. I understand what you are saying about gloves, but you didn't notice I referred to your truck, young Mr. Faoro as a patient and wearing the gloves like a doctor. I use gloves from time to time on certain tasks I am doing but bare handed does give you better control, I guess you weren't a doctor yet....maybe a Nurse??? ha ha has :ahhh::duh: 

I do understand what you are saying about the filters, good idea. :thumb1:  In fact I did the same thing for my 12v, changing the fluids and filters, running it for a week or two, drain it and use the good stuff, so I appreciate what you explained.

www.filterspro.com

I sure hope you aren't using NAPA fuel filters....

It's not a CR all the vp44 and 12v need is a spaghetti strainer and cheese cloth to filter the fuel on them from what I hear, they don't have injector issues................................................. :stirthepot:

• Like 2

• Staff

It's not a CR all the vp44 and 12v need is a spaghetti strainer and cheese cloth to filter the fuel on them from what I hear, they don't have injector issues................................................. :stirthepot:

No they don't need the final filtering but they do still need decent f/w separation to keep from corroding things from the inside out. 

• Owner

:wtf:

I know, I was just pickin as I like to do. :gun:

:dnftt:  Even if he is staff... He needs to back on his diet... :lol3:

• Like 1

Yep only mine is about 3 times bigger to handle "Real" filters, not just those baby ones lol. Kinda like a glorified pipe cutter.

Took the words out of my mouth, I just gave away a pipe cutter for 4" pipe but you would have to make a jig to rest something like this cutter in let the filter sit on a center piece or threaded piece the same as the pipe filter would mate to. Maybe a small variety of threaded center pieces for different sizes. Probably buying the tool would be best lol.