• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Teardown and Rebuild

9 minutes ago, notlimah said:

Damn man, that sucks!

How does this change tuning with he quad? That out the door now? What about lift pump? Need a new one?

This shouldn't change anything with the quad. I found that last bug, but I think @Me78569 is almost done. I'm still available if he needs to bounce ideas off me and he can now turn high rpms to test that. 

I should be able to up the pressure on my pump to run it for now. When I want to start pushing big power I'll have to get a bigger pump and supply more pressure. This is going to be expensive, but I'm hoping @jlbayes will help walk me through it. If I can find a pump I'm hoping this swap will be done in 3 weeks. 

7 minutes ago, crf450ish said:

@TFaoro how many miles were on your fried VP44

I think somewhere around 25K. Fed with a fass its whole life. 

The standard fuel tune hasn't been touched in awhile.  It's stable.  Tyler found the first bug in quite awhile in the hardfuel tune and I wrapped that up and tested 2 or 3 days ago, sadly Tyler never got to try it out. :doh:

1 hour ago, notlimah said:

Awesome, I didn't know that you could tune the same with a ppump as a VP. 

I did think that there was different internals needed to supply enough fuel for the ppump? Like could I just use my FASS 150 for a ppump swap?

Ppumps are 100% mechanical. The only electrical thing on them is the fuel shutoff solenoid. They do however fuel based on a boost reference. It's the same concept being used in the quad V2, just much simpler and mechanical. 

I have a HPFP from fass, so your pump probably wouldn't work. I'm unsure of the minimum pressure you want to run them at, but I'm sure it could be researched. 

Looking on the FASS website and this is what I found.

IMG_4785.PNG.4377ab7a66dba6d0e207d7ee590ea07a.PNG

Looks like the run at a lower psi? Maybe all I'd need would be a lighter spring. Anyone else have any idea on this?!

Either way I'm looking forward to seeing how this is going to come out. Your truck is going to be the epitome of what everyone wants a second gen to be haha!

@notlimah you are missing a year range in there for the 94-98 trucks. Ppump is higher than all the rest at a minimum of 20psi.

@TFaoro will take you a weekend to wrap up the swap if you have everything sitting there. Forgot to mention something last night. You need an intake horn spacer of some sort. Intake plate, spacer or longer horn to clear the lines.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jlbayes said:

@TFaoro will take you a weekend to wrap up the swap if you have everything sitting there. Forgot to mention something last night. You need an intake horn spacer of some sort. Intake plate, spacer or longer horn to clear the lines.

Thank you, I almost forgot about that. Will the pump fit with a tunnel ram and a grid heater together?

We chatted about it and I think that at the power levels he wants to be at, reliablity becomes a concern in the VP world.  

Can a VP fuel to 600-700 hp? Sure...but for how long?  

It sucks to have to replace a VP every 2 years because you are at the mechanical limits of the pump.  

Even myself, the Quadzilla pusher, wouldn't really recommend a VP44 at 550 + hp.  It's to far outside of the design spec for the VP44.  

• Like 2

When I pulled my original vp off it had started acting very badly. It was always a ***** to try and bleed the injectors. This was at 650 whp. It did have about a dozen piercings in the pump wire from previous owners. It owed me nothing. lol

• Like 1

4 hours ago, jlbayes said:

When I pulled my original vp off it had started acting very badly. It was always a ***** to try and bleed the injectors. This was at 650 whp. It did have about a dozen piercings in the pump wire from previous owners. It owed me nothing. lol

You got any pics or documentation on your build. I'm interested in seeing it. 

Alright I've got a parts list mocked up.

Pump - Local Guy
Linkages - Local Guy
Mounting bracket and hardware - Local Guy
Oil line and oil line T - Local Guy
Case with studs and nuts - Local Guy
Adjustable timing gear - Crazy Carl
Billet front cover - Carl
P24 Tunnel Ram Intake - Carl
Cam Sensor Adapter - Carl
Front case seal, front cover seal, and front main seal - Carl
Oil Pan Gasket - Cummins
Apps kit - Carl
Injection lines - Where should I get these??? I'm thinking stock size or 84's

I'm going to crank the pressure up on my fass and that should be fine for now. Still working on the supply line and return line. 

44 minutes ago, TFaoro said:

Alright I've got a parts list mocked up.

Pump - Local Guy
Linkages - Local Guy
Mounting bracket and hardware - Local Guy
Oil line and oil line T - Local Guy
Case with studs and nuts - Local Guy
Adjustable timing gear - Crazy Carl
Billet front cover - Carl
P24 Tunnel Ram Intake - Carl
Cam Sensor Adapter - Carl
Front case seal, front cover seal, and front main seal - Carl
Oil Pan Gasket - Cummins
Apps kit - Carl
Injection lines - Where should I get these??? I'm thinking stock size or 84's

I'm going to crank the pressure up on my fass and that should be fine for now. Still working on the supply line and return line. 

Correct me if i am wrong since it has been a while since you started this thread. But I seem to remember something about  man being on a budget and not sure he could afford a full rebuild. This has gone far beyond that. Of course if i have this mixed up with another thread, my apolagies sir.

• Like 1