• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Teardown and Rebuild

2 hours ago, AH64ID said:

The biggest source of coolant heat is the head, which is also where EGTs are the hottest.  

If I am above 200° on coolant boost makes a big difference in coolant temp too as the intercooler is putting much hotter air onto the radiator. 

I also see a direct and very quick correlation to pre-turbo IATs and boost. My only theory is the heat being rejected by the intercooler. 

I realize that higher boost is from fuel and every temperature is thus rising, but with all the gauges I have started to notice order of correlation. 

I guess that makes sense. My intercooler is much bigger than the stock one. I was messing around last night and blew the intake horn boot off at 65psi. Pulled over and felt the intercooler. The inlet was so hot you couldn't keep your hand on it (IR gun got stolen so I don't have actual temps) but the outlet side was literally cold. It was 60* out and I wouldn't be surprised if the outlet was 65 tops. Thus it's not allowing a big enough heat transfer through the radiator. Guess it's something I'll just have to live with.

As for pre-turbo, I guess I could build a shield to make the filter suck more from the fender instead of the hot air that comes through the intercooler and radiator.

On 11/6/2016 at 11:28 AM, TFaoro said:

As for pre-turbo, I guess I could build a shield to make the filter suck more from the fender instead of the hot air that comes through the intercooler and radiator.

Hood scoop!  some sort of ram air / cowl induction thing.  

• 2 weeks later...

Finally made it home and got my intake horn installed. She's a beauty! 65psi just fine with no boots blowing off. I think I might be able to run a 1200us tune on the quad and have decent egts. I tried an 1800us and egts flew to 1700 before I let off. Here's a comparison of the outlet for those curious. The S&B is also 3.5" so I'm running the adapter boot provided. 

IMG_20161122_125922162_zpsd73djuut.jpg

IMG_20161122_113934456_HDR_zpsloye8uor.j

Getting some hard missing on startup in the cold (32 here this morning) so I think I'm going to have to bite the bullet and buy new grid heater relays. Never had a problem last winter, and it starts without loping, but I've got tons of white smoke and missing. 

5 minutes ago, notlimah said:

That's no good, you pluggin in?

My trucks finicky, sometimes it'll start up no problem when it's cooler out, other time she puts up a big fuss.

Can't plug in... I'm at an apartment complex while I'm at school, so there's really no way to get power out there. When I'm at home I plug it in every now and then, but even in -15F I haven't had any issues. 

What does it do when it puts up a "fuss?"

1 hour ago, TFaoro said:

Can't plug in... I'm at an apartment complex while I'm at school, so there's really no way to get power out there. When I'm at home I plug it in every now and then, but even in -15F I haven't had any issues. 

What does it do when it puts up a "fuss?"

Yep, I have to agree thier should be no reason to plug in unless below zero. You don't want to spoil them ?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 01cummins4ever said:

Yep, I have to agree thier should be no reason to plug in unless below zero. You don't want to spoil them ?

I agree, it doesn't NEED it to start, but my philosophy with that is, why make it harder if I don't have too. My truck starts up fine in any weather my area can throw at it, as long as I left the grids do their job. It's when I have MPG mode selected up and fire it off is when she gets pissy haha!

This is an interesting discussion. My truck will generally start better without the grids down to 40 or so. Like if I forget to switch off mpg mode and start it, it will fire off quicker than if I let the grids run. May get just a bit of white smoke, but not the slightly slower/longer cranking I get after the grids run. I guess that's just because of how much they draw on the batteries.... :think: 

On a slightly different note, I will plug in every chance I get if temps are below freezing, and I'm even running synth 5w-40. I don't agree with what some say about spoiling the truck and I figure why cause any more wear then necessary on a cold start? I'll save it for those rare times when temps are in the negatives and I can't plug in :thumbup2:

Edited by leathermaneod
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, AH64ID said:

I would look elsewhere for issues. 

The grid heater shouldn't even make a discernible difference at 32°F. Heck, I don't even plan on reinstalling mine this winter. HPCR will do better with a pilot, but not at 32°.

Have you messed with crank/idle timing?

It has to be the injectors. It would start fine with the 125's, but now that it has 300's it doesn't like the cold without a grid heater. It's even got higher than stock compression pistons. (I think 17.3:1 but not positive)

Alll cranking and idling timing is left alone by the quad. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, leathermaneod said:

This is an interesting discussion. My truck will generally start better without the grids down to 40 or so. Like if I forget to switch off mpg mode and start it, it will fire off quicker than if I let the grids run. May get just a bit of white smoke, but not the slightly slower/longer cranking I get after the grids run. I guess that's just because of how much they draw on the batteries.... :think: 

On a slightly different note, I will plug in every chance I get if temps are below freezing, and I'm even running synth 5w-40. I don't agree with what some say about spoiling the truck and I figure why cause any more wear then necessary on a cold start? I'll save it for those rare times when temps are in the negatives and I can't plug in :thumbup2:

That sorta sounds like weak batteries to me. Mine will start in the same amount of time of turning the key weather MPG is on or off. It just starts and runs a little rougher right at first but eventually smooth's out. It definitely is interesting to hear how different everyone's truck reacts to starting in the colder weather.

• Like 1

It certainly could be weak batteries, but I really hope not because they are napa golds and less than 2 years old....at this point, I'm not really concerned because the difference in starting isn't much, and my truck also sits a lot right now so that may play into the equation as well. I agree though, it's very interesting to hear how everyone's truck is different!