• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

battery tenders

I use this one http://www.batteryminders.com/12-volt-on-board-charger-maintainer-desulfator-12151?page_context=category&faceted_search=0 , my neighbor says battery minder works different and he likes them better than a battery tender so I got this one on my truck. It's strapped to the fuse box under the hood and I run a short extension cord from it through my bumper to a cord I leave plugged into the house.

• Like 1

I have 3 different battery tenders that I use ( one is on a small toy hauler that is only used once a year and 2 that I use in my motorcycles during winter storage)and they work great. I don't see the need for one if your batteries are in good shape and you drive it at least once a month. I don't drive my truck during the winter but I do start it and hi-idle it up to temp at least every 30 days and at 10 degrees I have never had a problem.

I like Schumacker as well but whatever you choose make sure it is fully automatic, I know of many who buy the cheaper ones as they are not automatic and they will cook your battery dry, even the small .5 amp ones will fry your battery if on a constant charge when not needed.

Look for the fully automatic ones in the description they are more expensive as well because of it.

• Owner

May I ask what your going to use it on? If you considering the truck for long term storage I would consider pulling the IOD fuse out. This will keep the Ignition Off Draw from drawing the batteries down. I've done that in the past when I was using the 1996 Dodge more. That's why they made that funky fuse clip for that so you could pull the fuse without losing it. Then I just typically use a normal battery charger and I can just plug in morning and unplug at night. Once a week. Another way to cheat this you can put the charger on a lamp timer so it runs for say an half an hour or hour every day. But as for continuous battery tender we have them on the fire trucks. The bad part is if your not paying attention to electrolytes ANY battery tender is capable of boiling a battery dry. Once a cell plate is exposed to air it ruined. This why I tend to use the timer idea vs. continuous.

• Like 1

This is for the truck. Moving out to a place little further from town and work and won't be driving the truck as much anymore since I'll be carpooling.

I had to use the truck one day because it had been almost a couple weeks since driving it. First time I ever had trouble starting the truck.

That's when it got me thinking.

I have a charger, but I wouldn't be able to use it on a timer etc, as I have to select settings on it first before it charges.

I use this one http://www.batteryminders.com/12-volt-on-board-charger-maintainer-desulfator-12151?page_context=category&faceted_search=0 , my neighbor says battery minder works different and he likes them better than a battery tender so I got this one on my truck. It's strapped to the fuse box under the hood and I run a short extension cord from it through my bumper to a cord I leave plugged into the house.

Does this do dual batteries?

• 3 weeks later...

Are we supposed disconnect & only charge one battery at a Time? Or would this low amont of current not matter?

This is for the truck. Moving out to a place little further from town and work and won't be driving the truck as much anymore since I'll be carpooling.

I had to use the truck one day because it had been almost a couple weeks since driving it. First time I ever had trouble starting the truck.

That's when it got me thinking.

I have a charger, but I wouldn't be able to use it on a timer etc, as I have to select settings on it first before it charges.

Weird. My batteries sat three months without being charged and I never had a problem.

Well, I figured out it isn't my batteries. It's fuel related. Checked the main culprit, the t at the back and it's bone dry.

I noticed dry cracking at the fuel line to the injection pump. Wondering if air is getting into the lines. Took 3 cranks today before it fired. Truck sat for 3 days.

mine has a solar panel that sets in the dash. works great for the boat. or truck when it wasn't being driven. i kinda hacked it together from an old solar flood light. it hasn't cooked mine yet. food for thought.

• Like 1

My truck sits more than I'd like...  I try to keep the truck exercised every couple of weeks but it often ends up longer.  I don't want to remove the fuse on the always on stuff...  like the clock & such.  So I use a solar battery minder from Harbor Freight  http://www.harborfreight.com/15-watt-solar-battery-charger-68692.html  on the dash & park so it gets some sun.  Plugged into the lower cigarette lighter plug.  

The first one I had...  lasted a long time...  over 10 years.  I had to repair the wire once & zip tied the wire as a strain relief.  In the end, the wire failed again where it went into the board.  So be careful of how you handle the unit.