• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

• Staff

The Racor is under the truck removing water and the initial contaminants. The final filter is a fleetguard nano-net with a 2 micron absolute rating. This was told to me by Cummins directly. Both filters have water separation capabilities. The Racor I do believe was a Ram truck idea the Fleetguard filter is Cummins OE.

Fleetguard does not have 2um absolute media, they never have. You should place another call to Fleetguard, as the specification used doesn't even allow for 2um absolute. They have called several filters 2um over the years but none have been 2um absolute. The last series of Fleetguard filters that have 2um printed on them where actually 5um absolute. Nanonet is 3um media on the tight side, some are rated higher.

The 10-15 6.7 engine mounted filter is a 2 stage filter. It has a f/w separating 5um outer layer and a 3um inner layer. AFIK only the 5um layer separates water.

Before I forget the other key area to help with sound is the cowl area. I'm going to see the temperature of the cowl area to ensure that the material will not become hot and delaminate.

Looks like a fairly straight forward process, just degrease and roll it on. Do you recommend a wooden or rubber roller? How about the roof, did you put any under the headliner?

Looks like a fairly straight forward process, just degrease and roll it on. Do you recommend a wooden or rubber roller? How about the roof, did you put any under the headliner?

If you degrease then go back over everything with denatured alcohol to remove any residue. 

I only did the floor and back wall on the truck.

I used a hard rubber roller. This is only the first stage of my sound deadening project. The next stage will be adding about 34-50 sq.ft. of Second Skin luxury liner pro.

Fleetguard does not have 2um absolute media, they never have. You should place another call to Fleetguard, as the specification used doesn't even allow for 2um absolute. They have called several filters 2um over the years but none have been 2um absolute. The last series of Fleetguard filters that have 2um printed on them where actually 5um absolute. Nanonet is 3um media on the tight side, some are rated higher.

The 10-15 6.7 engine mounted filter is a 2 stage filter. It has a f/w separating 5um outer layer and a 3um inner layer. AFIK only the 5um layer separates water.

I stand corrected a second call and this is what they told me 3 micron.

• Like 1

• Staff

I did not know about noise in the second gens as my truck has the extra sound deadening package from the factory, if anyone wants to know what they did I can take pics.

It's so good about not being noisy I never gave it any thought until I read this thread. There's just enough noise to let you know it a diesel is all.

• Staff

I did not know about noise in the second gens as my truck has the extra sound deadening package from the factory, if anyone wants to know what they did I can take pics.

It's so good about not being noisy I never gave it any thought until I read this thread. There's just enough noise to let you know it a diesel is all.

I've never heard of that option and would love to see pics.

• Like 1

I believe this is known as the "heavy duty insulation group" which is build code "AHL". 

If so then this is a thicker jute fiber mat under the carpet and a mass loaded vinyl over foam behind the dash area. 

Pictures would be nice.

• Staff

I will do that for you. I've been sleeping most of the day after working long hours out of town. I have a very difficult job going on out in the sun and tends to wear on me. So been working early hours and then later into the evenings.

Vais01 do you happen to have a full listing of those codes? Maybe be worth publishing in the article database for others to see.

Mike, I have my truck build sheet. On this sheet it lists many of the codes of the build.

An example is LT265/75R16 All Season is build code "TXF".

Another one is "13x2.5 Rear Drums" build code "BKB".

For these build codes all you need is to head to a dealer and give them the last 8 of your VIN and they can print the build sheet. I've got a list of them but I would have to scan these documents and add them into the thread.

This thread really took off! I have met some really nice people selling off my parts and I've told them all about joining this forum.  I schooled one kid on getting a fuel gauge asap! Amazing the research that I did while owning this truck that others don't bother to do.

The mention of the extra noise suppression package above makes me wonder why noise insulation was never beefed up for the 24v to something more substantial.  I read somewhere that the dB levels from the 24v came close or exceeded the recommended exposure levels for an 8 hour shift,  I'll dig the article up if I can.

On a side note, I recently got into the Fluid Film movement and undercoated my Super Duty today- If I would have known about it then, I would have did it to the Dodge too- the body was in such good shape on that truck.  (Although the ruptured fuel line last month helped somewhat)

I'm going to hang around here for a while- You never know what toys you'll acquire!

I just checked the Star Network - Vehicle Information Report that the Dodge dealer printed off for me and it says my truck has the AHL-Heavy Duty insulation group. My truck is the second loudest 24v I have ever heard 104 decibels at the oil pan. Some say the injection pump is loud but I can't hear over the engine noise, however at highway speed it's really not all that loud and I'm a noise Nazi. I would say the Heavy duty package seems to work well.

• Staff

I just checked the Star Network - Vehicle Information Report that the Dodge dealer printed off for me and it says my truck has the AHL-Heavy Duty insulation group. My truck is the second loudest 24v I have ever heard 104 decibels at the oil pan. Some say the injection pump is loud but I can't hear over the engine noise, however at highway speed it's really not all that loud and I'm a noise Nazi. I would say the Heavy duty package seems to work well.

bc would you mind doing some picks of our noise insulation package? I had promised I would but have been feeling not so well lately and our heat wave isn't helping. Now I have to leave for an out of town job.

Thank you ever so much.

Don't come to my area of Idaho gasoline price are typically 10 to 20 cents higher now vs. diesel price.

WOW!  Right now in my area of California diesel can be had for about $1.20 less.  87 UL is around 3.85 and #2 is about 2.65 from our local truck stop

Don't come to my area of Idaho gasoline price are typically 10 to 20 cents higher now vs. diesel price.

As for noise reduction. I've re-installed my silencer ring in the turbo, added a 3" straight through muffler, then adjust the valve lash to 0.008 (intake) and 0.018 (exhaust). Run 2 cycle oil which reduces the knock sound levels. I know of some people pulling the carpet up and adding sound deadening material to the firewall and the floor board. Truly my 24V is fairly quiet compared to most others.

http://articles.mopar1973man.com/general-cummins/36-fuel-system/71-2-cycle-oil-engine-noise-reduction

But it would be awesome to create a article for a quiet Dodge Cummins and how to get there.I

I run Amsoil through out including the amsoil 2 cycle oil in the fuel and i can now hear a new diesel idling next to me at the light. quieted way down.

• 2 weeks later...

Whats up with the fuel prices out west. I have not seen diesel less than gas in 8 or 10 years. The cheapest I have seen in Alabama is one station 87 UL 2.15 and B-15 diesel 2.35. Back home in NC they are both about 30 cents higher.