• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Vibration

• Owner

Most likely not. I've seen from the outside what death wobble is. It a balancing problem or shock problem. I've been along side a Dodge on a motorcycle and watched in super close up mode of the axle jumping off the pavement and a tire nearly making contact with the fender as it oscillates in a circular motion. The vehicle has to slow down to nearly like 30-35 MPH before the violent oscillation stops.  More that likely the death wobble is going to be a rotational mass that is out of balance typically a tire(s).

On ‎11‎/‎8‎/‎2015‎ ‎3‎:‎07‎:‎51‎, Mopar1973Man said:

If it was me. I would have the tire rebalanced for absolute zero. Some shops allow for 1/2  or a bit more.

I remember when I worked at a tire shop the bigger tires were deemed "balance" when they were less than 1. Other than that you end up with weights placed in random locations which isn't right.

• Owner
38 minutes ago, gh0stman said:

I remember when I worked at a tire shop the bigger tires were deemed "balance" when they were less than 1. Other than that you end up with weights placed in random locations which isn't right.

Typically that a sign of other issues wheel wise when end up with scattered weights. It could have excessive run-out or other issues. Higher the speed more precision is required. 

10 hours ago, Mopar1973Man said:

Most likely not. I've seen from the outside what death wobble is. It a balancing problem or shock problem. I've been along side a Dodge on a motorcycle and watched in super close up mode of the axle jumping off the pavement and a tire nearly making contact with the fender as it oscillates in a circular motion. The vehicle has to slow down to nearly like 30-35 MPH before the violent oscillation stops.  More that likely the death wobble is going to be a rotational mass that is out of balance typically a tire(s).

I had to get down to 5mph for it to stop :shifty: 

Replaced this tonight. I took it to the last place it wobbled and didn't feel it even try to wobble. 1 down 1 to go!

IMG_20151110_180532_173_zpslybbwqxo.jpg

IMG_20151110_180550_897_zpssc57s1dk.jpg

• Staff
On 11/9/2015, 10:19:36, TFaoro said:

Found the looseness. Bushing on the axle side of the track bar. I'll go pick one up at napa and see if that fixes at least the death wobble

That is a fairly common cause of some death wobble. 

It really is worth ditching traditional weight balancing and I wouldn't hesitate to order up a set of dyna-beads for at home installation. All it takes is a jack stand, air compressor, a schrader valve tool, and  a pair of pliers to remove the POS wheel weights. 

Place the jackstand under the axle of the corner you are working on as close as you can get it. Remove the schrader valve. Once the air is gone (weight is now on the jack stand and not deflated tire) use the provided straw and pour the beads in. Reinstall the valve and inflate. You can remove the weights while it inflates. Repeat. 

When I first installed centramatics on my truck the made my 80% worn BFG KM2's smoother than any tire I had ran and quieted them down. They had just previously been balanced too. 

Les Schwab won't install tires over spacers and even thou the centramatics are only 0.060 thick they consider them a spacer so I sold the centramatics and run beads now. 

I do still run centramatics in the trailer and can tell a difference on how much stuff moves inside. 

Edited by AH64ID

• Owner
23 hours ago, AH64ID said:

That is a fairly common cause of some death wobble. 

It really is worth ditching traditional weight balancing and I wouldn't hesitate to order up a set of dyna-beads for at home installation. All it takes is a jack stand, air compressor, a schrader valve tool, and  a pair of pliers to remove the POS wheel weights. 

Place the jackstand under the axle of the corner you are working on as close as you can get it. Remove the schrader valve. Once the air is gone (weight is now on the jack stand and not deflated tire) use the provided straw and pour the beads in. Reinstall the valve and inflate. You can remove the weights while it inflates. Repeat. 

When I first installed centramatics on my truck the made my 80% worn BFG KM2's smoother than any tire I had ran and quieted them down. They had just previously been balanced too. 

Les Schwab won't install tires over spacers and even thou the centramatics are only 0.060 thick they consider them a spacer so I sold the centramatics and run beads now. 

I do still run centramatics in the trailer and can tell a difference on how much stuff moves inside. 

Curious AH64ID...

I know Cowboy made that article on using BB's and air soft BB's is that a option in your book too? I was considering getting a few boxes of BB's and measuring out what Cowboy figured and just installing then to the tires by breaking one bead.

• Staff
On 11/11/2015, 11:10:37, TFaoro said:

The centramatics look nice, and would probably be the route I go (if I do anything). I don't have places put the tires  on for me. I don't trust them after the last time I took it in and watched them work

The centramatics are nice as you can reuse them for many sets of tires/wheels.

They do take some grinding to make room but that isn't a big deal.

10 hours ago, Mopar1973Man said:

Curious AH64ID...

I know Cowboy made that article on using BB's and air soft BB's is that a option in your book too? I was considering getting a few boxes of BB's and measuring out what Cowboy figured and just installing then to the tires by breaking one bead.

It should work. You will probably need 4-5oz of weight.

No need to break a bead if you use a weight that fits in the valve stem.

• Like 2

I think they are plastic.....

So I put my new rims and tires on yesterday. The vibration is the exact same as it was before and at the exact speeds. This tells me it wasn't tires. So I've been thinking about when this started. TMK it was after having the repair work done on the body and fixing the rhino Lining. Then I remembered we got some overspray on the driveshaft but I didn't think anything of it. I think I'll yank the shaft out and see if I can clean all of the liner off.