• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Would You Invest in My Truck or A Newer Truck

Wow, this thread is venturing off onto its own course.

While the 2nd gen is a great ride, the 3rd gen offer's a nice jump in refinement/options that isn't achievable with upgrades. Part of what makes me on the fence about which direction to pursue. Still working on the number's aspect while I do some more research of 3rd gen's in the area to see how the final costs will pencil out as they say.

These are a few things I like about the 3rd gen over the 2nd.

1. True 4 doors available

2. 6 Speed Manual Trans Standard (2nd Gen HO is an option but hard to find without 4:10 gears)

3. Better Tuning options

4. Lower smoke @ increased HP (important to me, I'm not a “coal roller”)

None of us are really coal rollers in the traditional sense.  3rd gen is nice, no doubt about it.  I can't say that I am particularly a big fan of 6 speeds due to the cost of rebuilding them compared to the NV4500 or automatics.  The 48RE in the 3rd gen is better in stock form than the 47RE.  

I dislike the 3rd gens dongs dings, and dings.  They drive me nuts when I drive my dads truck.  Backing up a hay trailer in reverse?  open the door a little to look at the trailer in an odd turn?  The horn goes off.  Granted, it is a good safety item, but it makes me crazy.  

I love the 3rd gens for the 4 doors, lack of in cab noise, and ability to do a Smarty UDC tune.  Other than those three (albeit big) items, I prefer the 2nd gen.  I like the 2nd gens parts cost, looks, and simplicity.  

All that said, I still stand by what I said above and wish at times I had bought an 07 when they were new.  I am happy with the truck I have, and will continue to keep up on maintenance until it starts to become prohibitive or a cheaper vehicle option comes available.  I also am starting to consider buying a parts truck for my 2nd gen.  If I could find a wrecked 02 or late 01 automatic for cheap with a blown motor or something, I would jump all over it.  

There is a saying that no car is cheaper than the one you already own.  There is truth to that.  But sometimes the comforts and improvements make the increased cost worth it.  It is good you are going into this with the right mindset and doing your homework.  

When I sold my 2000 before I bought my 02, I considered a 3rd gen.  I planned on replacing or at least pulling and testing all the injectors.  I planned on buying some very good fuel filters to keep the injectors clean.  Aside from that and some gauges, I was going to keep it stock.  If I were looking at 3rd gens today with the higher miles and years on 3rd gens, I would plan on injectors, ball joints, brakes, possibly front hub bearings, and a transmission.  Transmissions are generally abused, and mabe I would get lucky, but if I could plan on it, I wouldn't be so disappointed.  However, I am one of those guys who just can't leave well enough alone.  

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

I have thought about this all the time, I just rebuild my 6 speed in my truck and it cost my around 2500. Granted it was a small fortune but the way that I looked at it was it was cheaper than a truck payment that I would have been paid for 5 months at 500, plus my truck as just over 200k when it went out. So I almost made it to the moon before it went out. I think that's its a fine line if the truck starts to nickel and dime you then I would look at something else but if it's just things here or there then I would run what you have. I just can't believe how much trucks are going for these day, since it is hard to find a 5.9 3rd gen for a fair price, I have just thought of getting a 4th gen 6.7 and just paying a little more. I just hate the the mileage on the 6.7 can be hit or miss with different trucks and the biggest factor for me would be the ability to delete the truck and trying to find a tuner for a 6.7 that allows you delete the truck can be trying to find that doesn't cost a fortune. It seem like some of the older H&S tuner can cost a close to 1500, I spend half of that on my gauges and edge comp for my 01.

• Staff

Do like me... I have two old CTD's when one gets broke I drive the other one. The one with over 400 k on it has taught me there are only so many places a nickel and dime can be spent. When that's done she's ready for another 400 k. Meanwhile the other sits there like a 'driveway Queen' just waiting for her turn to go out. It doesn't get used much being an 02 with 84k on it. Every time I drive It, it is like having a new truck all over again.

I still love the 92 just as much.

• Owner
4 minutes ago, JAG1 said:

Do like me... I have two old CTD's when one gets broke I drive the other one.

Exactly. I'm a bit different I've got one of both. 1996 Dodge Ram 1500 V8 5.9L Auto 46RE then got the 2002 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L Cummins 5 Speed NV4500. Like right now I'm going to have my rear driveshaft rebuilt soon. Carrier bearing is wore and Just going to pony up and get the entire shaft new u-joints, carrier bearing, and then spun balance. So till then I'll be driving the 1996 Dodge. It like driving a whole new truck again. Going from diesel power to high revving gasoline power. :burnout:

• Staff

The 92 12 valve I have is a DD, contractors work truck. It's one sweet truck the way it has taken care of me. It paid off the 02 for me and. I'm only7 months away from having driven her for a solid 20 years. It seem the older it gets the more I love that old girl just had to do the trans finally but engine never been touched. Runs great.

Just remember, it's always cheaper to get it fixed than to go buy another new truck.

Edited by JAG1

Well for 2016 the truck will be staying with me and plan drop some $$ on replacement parts.  Although, I am always keeping my eye out for a clean 93 club cab 1st gen 4x4 with a 5 speed. 

I have always wanted a 1st gen, so can't fault for dreaming.

Edited by NightHawk

• Staff
8 hours ago, NightHawk said:

Well for 2016 the truck will be staying with me and plan drop some $$ on replacement parts.  Although, I am always keeping my eye out for a clean 93 club cab 1st gen 4x4 with a 5 speed. 

I have always wanted a 1st gen, so can't fault for dreaming.

You and me both. They come up sometimes around here for ten grand on Craigs List.

• 3 weeks later...

Well I am sick to my stomach as I right this.....found the truck carpet to be completely soaked after all these hard rains.  I feel overwhelmed with this issue as after 1hr of searching was not able to find a source.  

To top it off, I pulled up the scuff plate on the passenger side and in my hast/frustration I lost one of the rear screws somewhere in the truck/surrounding ground. After searching for 30mins for the screw (hands/knees in the dark with a flashlight) I gave up.

The screw in question is a .190-16x1.50 and per a few Mopar "parts" website its no longer available.  I am :ahhh: because I got too much going on to deal with something on the truck that left un-diagnosed/repaired will make it worse. 

Anybody got a source for the said screw to purchase prior to me tearing the interior/exterior apart this coming weekend?

Cant be that hard to find. You should be able to go to hardware store or nut and bolt supply and find something that will work. Some of the building supplies out my way have auto fastener sections in the hardware dept also.  

Today was a truck work day and I got a lot done resolving this water leak issue. With rain in the forecast for Sunday night, hopefully no additional water enters the truck cab.

Items Completed today for the water leak:

• Removed & re-sealed third brake light
  • Cleaned & added sealant at the rear window top & sides
  • Clean & re-sealed the rear window slider track
  • Cleaned out the rear window drains
  • Removed, cleaned & reinstall the weather stripping on driver's & passenger's side of the truck
  • Removed, cleaned & reinstall the weather stripping on quad doors
  • Removed front inner fender's and cleaned/vacuumed out all the debris in fenders & under hood
  • Removed under-hood mat as it was deteriorating/sagging
  • Checked A/C drain for a clog (none found)

Remaining To-do List for the water leak:

• Remove truck carpet & padding/sound deadening
  • Wash/clean the truck carpet & dry
  • Install new padding/sound deadening in the cab prior to carpet re-install

I imagine you got that leak under control after all that! I had a leak from the 3rd brake light, it would get my rear seat wet. I just used some clear rtv and leak was gone.  

Glad to hear California getting rain, especially up north! Last time through there those lakes and resiviours needed some help!

• Staff
7 hours ago, notlimah said:

I imagine you got that leak under control after all that! I had a leak from the 3rd brake light, it would get my rear seat wet. I just used some clear rtv and leak was gone.  

Glad to hear California getting rain, especially up north! Last time through there those lakes and resiviours needed some help!

I just came thru northern California and it looks like all the evergreen trees made it but most of the deciduous trees are dead till you get a little ways further into Oregon.

14 hours ago, notlimah said:

Glad to hear California getting rain, especially up north! Last time through there those lakes and reservoirs needed some help!

Well I am assuming part of the leak is related to how much rain the area where the truck resides at is...pics of rain between 2015 start and current 2016 amount to date.  Total rain for the California "wet" season per the weather station is 44.32".

IMG_6339.JPG

IMG_6338.JPG