• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

New truck!!

6 minutes ago, notlimah said:

What kit are you saying you removed? Im definitely going to look into an adjustable track bar

Levelling kit.  I already had a 3rd gen track bar... and the extra height didn't help me any.  It steers way better stock than levelled.

So.... the vulcan module replaces everything int the tank. There's no need to drill holes or do any modification if you go with a fass and a new liberty module. The fass also comes with 1/2 inch lines. No need to worry about ordering those. 

I'll stay out of the suspension talk... I've got enough issues there myself :shifty: 

1 hour ago, TFaoro said:

So.... the vulcan module replaces everything int the tank. There's no need to drill holes or do any modification if you go with a fass and a new liberty module. The fass also comes with 1/2 inch lines. No need to worry about ordering those. 

I'll stay out of the suspension talk... I've got enough issues there myself :shifty: 

I wonder how differant the liberty module is from the in tank pump retrofit? I have not been able to find a comparison. I have to admit however I did not do aot of looking.

4 hours ago, TFaoro said:

So basically, if I go with the fuel module from vulcan, it would eliminate the need to drill a hole in the tank and put a suction kit in it? Obviously it seems either way would require a bed removal or tank drop, but if I can avoid drilling (I know I know, it's probably way easier then I'm making it out to be) I'd prefer that. Plus if it keeps things less cluttered then I'm all for that too!

Suspension is a whole different beast. I'll tackle that after my fuel situation is done

5 hours ago, IBMobile said:

Congratulations are in order.  A great find on a gently used  clean truck.  There should be many mile of happy motoring left in that truck.

Still looking for that #53?  If it is a 53 block  you'll find the number on the lower right front side of the block, below and forward of the oil filter.

Thanks! Definitely glad I held out and found a good one! Makes me smile every time I see her in the driveway! As far as the block number, I've scowered the thing, and can't find any numbers. Looked up in the front bottom corner below the VP, nuthin, opposite side of that, nuthin! So I'm hoping I got off with the mexican block! I have read though that a 53 block in an 02 are pretty rare, and most instances of 53 blocks being in 02 trucks have been because of dealership swaps and it just happened that way.

Edited by notlimah

Congrats on the new truck! I had the in tank pump set up and went with FASS150, a vulcan draw straw V and a vulcan big line kit factory filter to vp. Very happy with everything from vulcan and DAP 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, notlimah said:

So basically, if I go with the fuel module from vulcan, it would eliminate the need to drill a hole in the tank and put a suction kit in it? Obviously it seems either way would require a bed removal or tank drop, but if I can avoid drilling (I know I know, it's probably way easier then I'm making it out to be) I'd prefer that. Plus if it keeps things less cluttered then I'm all for that too!

Suspension is a whole different beast. I'll tackle that after my fuel situation is done

Yup. You can even get it with bigger suction lines if need be. I'm a tank removal guy myself. Drive it until it's pretty much empty hop underneath it and remove the 2 straps. 

Others like to pull the bed, but that always runs the risk of scratching it and I'm very protective of my paint!

You might want to talk to Eric and see if you can get what you need to modify yours if it is the in tank set up. The picture of the Liberty Module looks an awful lot like my intank module. I had to modify mine and it was not difficult. You might be able to save a couple hundred bucks. Eric should know.

27 minutes ago, TFaoro said:

Yup. You can even get it with bigger suction lines if need be. I'm a tank removal guy myself. Drive it until it's pretty much empty hop underneath it and remove the 2 straps. 

Others like to pull the bed, but that always runs the risk of scratching it and I'm very protective of my paint!

That might be something to consider for sure. Although, 300+ just for the module which I don't technically need is steering me away a bit. Even with the tank real low, can it be done alone? Or at least a 2 man job?

21 minutes ago, dripley said:

You might want to talk to Eric and see if you can get what you need to modify yours if it is the in tank set up. The picture of the Liberty Module looks an awful lot like my intank module. I had to modify mine and it was not difficult. You might be able to save a couple hundred bucks. Eric should know.

I'll give him a call Monday or Tuesday for sure.

On a separate note, I talked with Richard from GDP (I can't believe I got an email reply on a Sunday, during the Super Bowl o_0 now that's customer service!) and he said that they require a sump or draw-straw setup, so that makes it the same as the FASS as far as setup goes. If I have to drill the tank one way or another, is a installing a sump that much harder then drilling for a draw-straw setup?

I'm just thinking if I need to drop the tank anyways, may as well get everything done all at once ya know.

I cant imagine drilling for the sump is any more difficult. It is just a bigger hole. My set up will suck the tank dry and as long as it does that I dont see the need to drill a hole in the bottom of my tank. Most of the folks here with a draw straw dont seem to have issues with them either. 

32 minutes ago, notlimah said:

How difficult is it setting up the drawstraw with the tank on the ground? I've heard people run into issues with the tank being slightly 'smaller' if you will, while on the ground and making the drawstraw get as close to the bottom as possible

With the tank down let it rest on 2X4's on edge where the straps are that way the tank will be sitting just like it hangs in the straps. Then you can cut to fit the tank as it is. 

• Staff
1 hour ago, notlimah said:

That might be something to consider for sure. Although, 300+ just for the module which I don't technically need is steering me away a bit. Even with the tank real low, can it be done alone? Or at least a 2 man job?

I've pulled fuel tanks out of Astro vans Ford and Chevy P/U's and other cars. One person can do it. The fuel tanks aren't heavy but bulky.  Two people with a full size floor jack make the removal and installation  go real smooth. 

• Like 1

Thanks for the input fellas!

Where things stand right now, I think I'm going to go with the following

1. FASS 150 Titanium 2. Big line kit (1/2in) 3. Drawstraw or sump (basically whichevers provided with the FASS kit) 4. Isspro FP/EGT/PYRO with pillar mount.

There may be a couple other items thrown in just because I've become acustom to certain sounds and whistles (hint hint :wink::whistle::cool:) but I'll keep you guys posted either way!

Edited by notlimah
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, notlimah said:

Thanks for the input fellas!

Where things stand right now, I think I'm going to go with the following

1. FASS 150 Titanium 2. Big line kit (1/2in) 3. Drawstraw or sump (basically whichevers provided with the FASS kit) 4. Isspro FP/EGT/PYRO with pillar mount.

There may be a couple other items thrown in just because I've become acustom to certain sounds and whistles (hint hint :wink::whistle::cool:) but I'll keep you guys posted either way!

You could always do what my brother did... Bough a sump with a drawstraw. To me that's a pretty ideal setup!

You talking turbos now????

• Owner

I did tank drop removal and then installed a old school draw straw and still retain the full use of my tank right down to Empty and no real 1/4 issues everyone cries about. As you'll see my tip looks like its touching the bottom but its really not. It the thickness of a quarter between the tip and the tank bottom at empty. Now as a I fuel the bottom deflects downward and away from the tip. Diesel fuel is roughly 6.5 pounds per gallon so 10 gallons will be 60 pounds of weight so the bottom deflect a good 1/8". Also notice there is no wild angle cuts or anything weird with the tip other that 4 small notches added.

2rzfo1j.jpg

Edited by Mopar1973Man

I am pretty partial to my beans diesel sump. The whole process including draining the tank didn't take more than 30 minutes by my self to do the install. It also provides a drain plug in case you ever have to drain the tank again. Very awesome product. It even comes with the hole saw to drill that hole in the tank. 

I don't care what anyone else says, you will not be able to rip it off the tank in the hills either. Not unless that tank goes with it!!! 

Check out the videos on their page. 

http://bdpshop.com/beans-diesel-performance-sump.html

• Like 1