• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

New truck!!

I do like t he sump setup, if I was having issues now I might consider it , but I can easily use 32/33 gallons of my 35 gallon tank without seeing any pressure drop with my drawstraw.  

It is all about how it was installed.

6 in one hand half dozen in another.

Edited by Me78569
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, TFaoro said:

You could always do what my brother did... Bough a sump with a drawstraw. To me that's a pretty ideal setup!

You talking turbos now????

How would a sump with drawstraw work? 

No turbos yet :( I was talking about a bhaf and exhaust. At least so I can hear what little whistles I can make now! Driving the 02 compared to my 99 sounds like a Prius! Hahah 

2 hours ago, TFaoro said:

You just run the drawstraw 3/4 of the way down into the sump. I think Fass advertises one.

I'll look into that.

On a separate note. I finally got around to driving around a bit to get used to how things sound and act. Things seem to shift at faster speeds then my 99. Is this because the bigger tires? I'm also getting a sort of a clunk sound around 45mph. Doesn't seem to affect driving forward or stutter the truck at all, but I did hear it twice. Did 02's have different transmissions then 99 or earlier models? The truck seems to lock the torque converter around 35-40mph and then again around 55-60mph. Again, nothing seems alarming or major, but it's different to me so just want to know if I should pursue this further or if this just comes with a leveled, 4x4 and 35in tire type of incident. Keep in mind my 99 is a 2wd, stock trans.

Forgot to mention, the truck has had a hypertech on it to fix the speedo with the bigger tires, not sure if the 'tune' is on or not, but I'll double check, maybe that's changing things?

• Owner
3 minutes ago, notlimah said:

Things seem to shift at faster speeds then my 99. Is this because the bigger tires?

5 minutes ago, notlimah said:

The truck seems to lock the torque converter around 35-40mph and then again around 55-60mph.

You might grab a GPS and compare your Speedometer and odometer for error. The gearing difference cause by the tires will change shift points and lockup.

6 minutes ago, notlimah said:

Forgot to mention, the truck has had a hypertech on it to fix the speedo with the bigger tires

Might check with a GPS to see if the calibration is right. So many people assume that programming the tire size will be correct. Then find out afterwards the speedometer is still off because brand A and brand B 35" tires might differ by 0.5+/- so the revs per mile can be different. Just like my example 235's vs 265's is only 1 rev per mile difference by my Garmin GPS V can see the 0.5 MPH difference. Even my ScanGauge II can show a odometer error between the two.

Alright, that puts my mind at ease a bit as far as shift points. I drove the same route so religiously that even though I drove an auto, I'd have my rpm's and shift points down to a tee. I'll check out a GPS and see if it correlates.

Do you think there's anything to worry about or check in regards to the 'clunk' around 45mph? It doesn't feel bad, but it's enough to notice.

Ok so if I'm running down the road with overdrive on, as in, O/D is not highlight on my dash, it will lock up in 3rd, accelerate some more then shift to 4th, the lock again?

In my 99, it would only lock in 3rd if I had O/D off, then if I turned O/D on, it would unlock, rev up a bit then shift to 4th and lock up again once I gained speed. Not sure if there's a difference in years that's causing it to be different between the two trucks, or the tires or what. Just want to make sure things are working correctly.

As far as the 'clunk' it is more of a feel/hear it, doesn't sound like grinding gears or anything.

yes later trucks lock in 3rd without needing to mess with the OD button.

shifting goes,

1,2,3,3lu,4,4lu  the 4 lu should happen nearly at the same time as the 3->4 shift.  The clunk is likely just the converter locking right as / after the 3/4 shift.

So it seems what's happening is from 3rd lock up to 4th its causing a little rpm hesitation or jump, not really sure how to describe it. Probably because I drive the thing like a granny and don't accelerate hard so it's probably just getting confused at certain mph's.

This morning I went out to fire up the truck, started fine, had a decent amount of white smoke while she was warming up, but eventually stopped after a bit. Well I always reach in and turn up the defroster and heater to get that started. Yesterday, it worked fine, I was actually surprised at how well and quickly it worked. Today, not so much, even after the engine temp got up a bit it was still blowing luke warm air, definitely not hot. What can I check to see if something wrong? I saw something about a blend door? I'm lost haha

I'd say the first thing to do is check the coolant level and temperature of the heater core hoses located on the passenger side firewall. They should be about the same temp with the blower motor off and the engine running. Not real likely the heater core plugged over night but possible. 

It also could be a blend door issue. Turn the temp knob from cold to hot a few times, you should hear/feel if the door moves. I think there's an article on blend door repairs. 

• Like 1

Thanks for the tips. The previous owner said he just took it in because the heater wasn't working and they replaced the serpentine, thermostat and the entire radiator, so I assume everything's good up there. I'll probably order up one of those heater treaters and see if that fixes it. Just need to figure out which module I have since apparently 02 was a cross over year.