• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Fuel pressure gauge saved my bacon.

Today in Massachusetts it -5 degrees. Went outside and started the truck. Let her warm up for 20 mins. Running like a champ. Fuel pressure reads 0 psi. Went through the diagnosis found the fass fuel pump fuse was blown. Replaced the fuse got my fuel pressure back. I couldn't believe how well the truck was running just off the injection pump. Without the fuel pressure gauge u would never know the difference. I would have been driving around with no lift pump, till it blew up the vp44.  Wondering why the fass blew the fuse, thick fuel? Everyone needs a fuel pressure gauge with these trucks. 

• Like 1

I blew the fuse in my AD with the same results. Truck ran fine and you have would have never known the lift pump was down. Mine was about 6 years old and it turned out to be a bad pump. AD did send me new with only a couple of questions. That is another story however.

Glad to here all is well. The gauge just paid for itself.

Nice to see this kind of post since most are typically because of a problem! I drove mine on a 1000 mile trip and put on a gauge on it right after only to find out I had 0 pressure the whole time!  :doh: Really drives home the importance of a fuel pressure gauge on these trucks!

• Staff

Happy to hear the gauge pulled your bacon out of the fire.  It could be the thicker fuel due to the extreme cold in your area put a load on the pump which in turn increased the amp draw on a marginal pump causing the fuse to blow.  If it happens again do an amp draw test.

38 minutes ago, JAG1 said:

I had a guy argue with me, to the point of getting irritated when I suggested getting one, saying, '' a fuel pressure gauge?'' I don't need that! All that stuff with gauges is just a big fad. :think:

Did he look like this ↓

56c102d341046_cantbefixed.jpg.0feb4f377c                     

28 minutes ago, IBMobile said:

Happy to hear the gauge pulled your bacon out of the fire.  It could be the thicker fuel due to the extreme cold in your area put a load on the pump which in turn increased the amp draw on a marginal pump causing the fuse to blow.  If it happens again do an amp draw test.

Did he look like this ↓

Full metal jacket!!

• Staff
2 hours ago, IBMobile said:

Did he look like this ↓

No he didn't but he sure knew a lot about his truck. When I suggested the two stroke oil he said ,''what for"? Tried to explain but wouldn't take time to hear it.

You folks in extreme cold,  can you use heat tape for plumbing but instead placed along your fuel lines and plug it in at night?

Edited by JAG1

24 minutes ago, JAG1 said:

No he didn't but he sure knew a lot about his truck. When I suggested the two stroke oil he said ,''what for"? Tried to explain but wouldn't take time to hear it.

You folks in extreme cold,  can you use heat tape for plumbing but instead placed along your fuel lines and plug it in at night?

I have pipe insulation, from fuel filter back, I don't know if it does much or not but cant hurt anything, as far as the heat tape I don't know how well the rubber fuel line would stand up to the heat tape, besides as soon as you unplug it and cold fuel run through it would probably gel again

Come to think of it heat tape works on garden hose so it should be ok on a 1/2 fuel line. If you could convert your 110 v heat tape to 12v. It would continue to heat while driving. 

They do make fuel tank heaters that work on 12 v. They just stick on outside of fuel tank and you just activate it with a switch.

If you add a fuel conditioner and keep it from gelling in the tank it should run through your lines and pump without gelling 

1 hour ago, TFaoro said:

Or just buy quality fuel :thumbup2: 

Been in -32F and not had GOOD fuel gel. That said, I've had bad fuel gel above 0F

I always taste the fuel, the good fuel has a nice savory note...

Just kidding.  I always wonder if I'm getting "good" fuel.

• Like 1