• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

2016 Silverado Mileage

On August 7, 2016 at 8:38 AM, CTcummins24V said:

Nice truck! DW, I highly recommend a Hellwig rear sway bar. Really helps out body roll and makes towing a lot better. Riding empty is even better. 

This truck is very solid in turns and such empty.  It's got the "Snow Plow Prep Package", so the front springs are stiffer than normal.  When I'm towing my trailer, any "side-to-side" motion, I think, is from the softer side walls of the P-rated tires.  Will consider it though!!

18 hours ago, notlimah said:

Are the oil catch can and afm delete mod strictly a 16 thing?

From the reading/research I've done, many think the oil catch can is a "NECESSITY" in any  GDI engine as there is no spraying of fuel on the intake valves to keep them clean from  PCV vapors collecting/frying on them.  

The oil catch can was put on to collect and condense those PCV vapors and to try to keep them out of the intake manifold/valves.  

17 hours ago, AH64ID said:

Why delete the AFM? 

The couple of vehicles I have driven with it were flawless and smooth. 

Also from my reading and research;  I didn't want to run into the "oil pumping" and "valve lifter" problems that seem to affect some AFM engines.  

Drove over 500 miles up and back to judge a retriever hunt test in Stevens Point, WI this past weekend.  Left with about 140 miles on the tank of fuel..................of which about 65-70 were towing.  The "lie-O-meter" in the truck read 17.5mpg when I left.

200 mile drive up on Friday, some back and forth to test sites and hotel between then and Sunday, and drove about half way back home before filling.  Lie-O-meter was reading 22.5mpg when I filled.............hand calculated figured to 21.9.  Left the "Range AFM delete" plugged in all weekend.  Almost 22mpg from a V8 gasser with some towing miles on the tank is really good IMHO!!!  And on a truck with less than 2000 miles on her!!!

The switch to V4 is very smooth on my Chevy...................just don't want to gamble on the oil consumption or lifter problems.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, notlimah said:

Any warranty issues with putting the AFM delete on? Only curious as this is the one vehicle I don't mess with at all. I take it to the dealership only and let them do work. I don't want to run into any major issues though.

The "Range" AFM delete that I use is just a "MODULE" that plugs into the OBD port under the dash.  All it does is "Modify" the signal into the ECM to keep the truck from going into V4 mod.  Not detectible AFAIK.

I've only used it for long highway jaunts.  Don't use it around suburbia;  as I don't need the 2nd overdrive, as most of my driving is 55mph and under!!!

15 hours ago, dorkweed said:

The "Range" AFM delete that I use is just a "MODULE" that plugs into the OBD port under the dash.  All it does is "Modify" the signal into the ECM to keep the truck from going into V4 mod.  Not detectible AFAIK.

I've only used it for long highway jaunts.  Don't use it around suburbia;  as I don't need the 2nd overdrive, as most of my driving is 55mph and under!!!

Could you send a link to what you're using?

2 hours ago, Mopar1973Man said:

Sounds like your rather pleased with your new truck there Dorkweed. I'm curious of what the life span is like for he newer gasoline powered trucks? Another thing I'm curious about what is the oil change interval like too?

Mike, this truck has the "oil life monitor" that I can click into on the dash display.  Right now with just under 2000 miles on her, it says that I have 80% oil life left.  Very pleased so far.  I loved rowing the gears in both my '99 and '04.5, but this 6 speed auto is nice!!

No idea on engine life.................it runs the full spectrum from less than 50,000 to well over 200,000 miles in the reading that I've done.  So much depends on the owner/maintainer of the vehicle.

On 7/28/2016 at 2:01 PM, dorkweed said:

Have put 2 tanks of fuel thru my 2016 Silverado 4x4, with the 5.3GDI, 6speed auto now.  First tank netted an even 19mpg (hand calculated..........overhead read 19.4) driving strictly in M5 to shut out 6th gear and avoid it going into V4 mode.  This tank also included about 40 or so miles of towing my work trailer.

Second tank netted me 22.2mpg (overhead reading 22.7) also driving strictly in M5 again.  No trailer towing on this tank.

Pretty nice so far.

What do you have for gears? I have 3.02s which is a real dog and I need to keep it in manual mode just to make up some hills...

8 minutes ago, CTcummins24V said:

What do you have for gears? I have 3.02s which is a real dog and I need to keep it in manual mode just to make up some hills...

I have the 3.42 rear end.  The MAX TOW PACKAGE would get you the 3.73.

• 11 months later...

22,3xx miles after 1 year of ownership.  Gonna do the 3rd scheduled oil change later today after it cools down outside.

Not a bad truck.  It's got limitations;  it ain't a Cummins, but it does good for what I need it to do.  

Mileage isn't as good around town as my '04.5 Cummins was, but she's a bit better overall on average on the highway empty.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, AH64ID said:

Wow, I'm surprised it's been a year already. 

Same here!!!  I've driven to Orlando, FL twice,  Baton Rouge, LA,  Stevens Point, WI,  Maquoketa, IA,  and Paducah, KY.................all last year.  Not to mention the trailer towing around suburbia around here.

If'n these miles were put on MightyWhitey, she'd have 270,000+ miles on her.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, dorkweed said:

22,3xx miles after 1 year of ownership.  Gonna do the 3rd scheduled oil change later today after it cools down outside.

Not a bad truck.  It's got limitations;  it ain't a Cummins, but it does good for what I need it to do.  

Mileage isn't as good around town as my '04.5 Cummins was, but she's a bit better overall on average on the highway empty.

3rd? That's it? Are you running the computer down to 0% oil life remaining? 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, CTcummins24V said:

3rd? That's it? Are you running the computer down to 0% oil life remaining? 

That is correct on both your questions.  It's not really an "oil life monitor" as it doesn't "test" the oil.  Should be called the "oil change reminder";  and it's at 7500 mile intervals on this truck.  

I'm running Mobile 1 0W20 full synthetic.  I'm sure that if I did oil analysis, I could push it out to 10-12000 miles easily.  But these GDI engines like to coke the valves with PCV oil residue;  and it's a good idea not to let the oil package wear too low.  One of the reasons I'm running a "catch can"..............to keep as much of those oil vapors out of the intake manifold.

3 hours ago, notlimah said:

Do you have a link to the catch can your using? 

Also, have you noticed oil ever being low and giving a low oil indication on the center console?

Here's the link.  I run just the "basic" can, as I'm cheap. http://www.eliteengineeringusa.com/standard-catch-cans/

I'm at 22,5xx miles now..............have never been low on oil.  I check frequently also.

I also lock out V-4 by using M5 around suburbia, and the Range AFM delete device for longer open road trips.