• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Truck stolen

When my vp44 died on me last spring I had to have the truck towed home. I asked the tow truck driver  if his winch would strain to pull my truck up and he had no worries.  He said he could pull a Hummer with a parking brake set and steering wheel locked up into his bed with no troubles. No reason to even have to get into the cab.

Edited by Hawkez

• Owner

I've seen several tow trucks pulling vehicles up out of the river without a second thought. The winch on them are very powerful and will drag a wrecked vehicle on the frame without a second thought. So as for a parked vehicle locked in park with a parking brake set not a problem. Just a few minutes in the dark and can be gone in no time. 

I would have the police check the area for any other businesses or other apartments close by with security cameras if the police or you have not already gone that direction, cameras covering every place now days it seems heck even in my remote area seems everyone has game cams scattered everywhere, its truly amazing how many things pop up from game cams alone around here now days.

I'm personally not interested in anything that carries a recurring fee. I have too many bills already and even the little ones add up! Just my opinion of course....

I really like the ravelco concept, I've been thinking about ways of making my own version over the last couple days. However, the idea of having anything that needs to be carried with me and then plugged in like that is a little scary, one more thing to loose. To me the hidden switch idea is really the cleanest and simplest...again just my opinions of course :-)

Edited by leathermaneod

Basically all comes down to how sophisticated the thieves are. Like posted above if its the tow truck or tilt deck truck with winch or dolly method then there is no stopping them no matter what.

From watching videos of competitions a lot of the pros will not be deterred with simple disable wires or switches no matter what, maybe costs them an extra minute.

Heck even watching how fast they can just strip a car and leave the body behind is mind boggling.

8 minutes ago, Wild and Free said:

Basically all comes down to how sophisticated the thieves are. Like posted above if its the tow truck or tilt deck truck with winch or dolly method then there is no stopping them no matter what.

From watching videos of competitions a lot of the pros will not be deterred with simple disable wires or switches no matter what, maybe costs them an extra minute.

Heck even watching how fast they can just strip a car and leave the body behind is mind boggling.

This is a good point. Probably one reason wiring something to the horn or some other noise making device would be a good idea. I don't see a thief hanging around if the horn is blowing and if he does he may be caught when someone comes to find out what the racket is about. I guess it really just comes down to how much effort you wanna put into it and how well you can do it without hacking up your wiring harness. You may use a simple switch and save your truck because an amateur tried to drive off with it, or you may use a top of the line system and still have it stolen because a pro showed up with a roll back....

• Staff

If I was a crook and saw Michaels Doberman sittin in his truck, like he does, there is no way I'd go near it.

I think the hidden switch idea is good for areas where the crook has to get out fast but it's best to have a combination of things that keep the truck shut down if you doing long term parking. With a combination of things it would be too frustrating to figure how to steal the truck.

Another aspect... I have a bud that is a car repossesor, been shot at twice, but he has a pick up truck that the tailgate goes down hydraulically and 2 arms come out and go under the front wheels or rear wheels he is taking. Lifts it up and drives off all in a matter of a minute or so. He drives off to a safe sot and then sets up all the lights for safety.

• Owner
3 hours ago, JAG1 said:

If I was a crook and saw Michaels Doberman sittin in his truck, like he does, there is no way I'd go near it.

Now you know why I pack the dog with me most places. No one wants to mess with a smiling Doberman in the front seat. When the truck is at home the gate is locked every night and typically both trucks are locked up in the garages. Very rare will you find that I leave my truck parked outside in the yard. 

6 hours ago, Mopar1973Man said:

Now you know why I pack the dog with me most places. No one wants to mess with a smiling Doberman in the front seat. When the truck is at home the gate is locked every night and typically both trucks are locked up in the garages. Very rare will you find that I leave my truck parked outside in the yard. 

I would contemplate sneaking up on your pupper and tickling him into submission :hyper:.  I only say this because I've been dog-sick since 2014 when I had to put my old girl down.  I love seeing the four-legged fellas.      

• Staff
8 hours ago, sooxies said:

I would contemplate sneaking up on your pupper and tickling him into submission :hyper:.  I only say this because I've been dog-sick since 2014 when I had to put my old girl down.  I love seeing the four-legged fellas.      

But, as soon as you touched the steering wheel your arm would be missing. lol

• Like 1

4 hours ago, BBHD said:

Definitely looks like a good way to clear your mind. How many cuttings do you usually get?

It used to be three, but the area has dried up in the last 10 years, so we are averaging 2 now. This year is pretty much only 1 due to early rains preventing us from cutting. We cut about a month late, and at that point the heat prevented the grass from coming back very strong. Most of the alfalfa fields got 2 this year though.

1 hour ago, Texas CTD said:

Tyler, my heart literally sank when I read this. I can't imagine how sick you must be.

I'm keeping my eyes peeled. I know SE Texas is a looong way away, but anything is possible.

I hope in the end, everything works out in your favor.

The sickness has subsided, now I've moved onto the next stage; Finding the people who took it!

Thanks for keeping your eyes open!

• Like 1