• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Oil pump life expectancy

Sorry if this is in the wrong place but with 305k on the clock and the top end just being gone through and a new turbo install, I ask the question how long can we expect an oil pump to last?  Mine is original to the best of my knowledge.

It's a concern of mine only because certain items can't be allowed to fail without incurring copious amounts of extra money in damage to related parts (lift pump, turbo and so on) 

I am tempted just to replace it just because, but my old man has a point "let sleeping dogs lie" ie it has no signs of issue so why change it.....

When I am driving down the highway and checking my gauges, oil pressure is always one I look at. Then I realize it is really not telling me what I want to know. I still have not done anything about it. I do have one spot open on the triple pod. Hmmm!!!

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, leathermaneod said:

How do you check with a test gauges? Mine fluctuates from top end of normal at startup to just below middle at idle when warm and up around 70 maybe while driving. Does that still mean it's a dummy? 

Pretty much. It is tied to the ECT sensor and maybe the IAT, not sure how. You can really see it if you have a high idle switch. Turn it on with the engine running and cold. When the sensor gets fooled to think it is warm the oil pressure will drop as the temp gauge rises. That is on a cold engine being fooled by the high idle switch.

43 minutes ago, leathermaneod said:

How do you check with a test gauges? Mine fluctuates from top end of normal at startup to just below iddle at idle when warm and up around 70 maybe while driving. Does that still mean it's a dummy? 

I was under the impression that I could pull the sensor and install my pressure guage in line with it through a t... then run it up to the cowl and set the guage where the driver can see it and drive it and see how the two compare or can I see pressure through a scanner or programmer through obd2 port

Not sure what you can do in line with the oe sensor but there is another outlet about midway on the block near the oil pan on the drivers side. I had an oil pressure switch there for my old fuel booster pump I ran years ago. You could use that for sure. 

My scan gauge II does not read the sensor. I think the sensor only puts out there is pressure and not how much. That is my understanding anyway. 

Edited by dripley
  • Like 1

It does not fluctuate while in use, just when the high idle is turned on and off.  Mike has a video of his doing it. It is on the first page about half way down in this thread.

Not sure what year trucks it is true for. Seems to be alot of discussion here and there about it.

My scan gauge II does not read the sensor. I think the sensor only puts out there is pressure and not how much. That is my understanding anyway. 

I can read the oil pressure with my scan tool.

I'm not sure how accurate it is but at 29 PSI the cluster gauge shows 40 PSI.

Oil pressure.jpg

EDIT:

Perhaps this will be useful to some of you with the odb2 scanner.
PID 2541    Oil Pressure    Oil Press    Pressure    0    100    1    Y    OilPres    DCx Sensors    n    none

I got that info from:

http://www.cherokeesrt8.com/forums/131-wk1-tuning-cmr-dyno-datalogging-gauges/19781-i-finally-got-around-listing-pids-dashhawk-can-see.html

Edited by Chris O.
  • Like 1

Mike is correct on the CCD BUS, that's how the cluster gauge knows how to show the oil pressure.
Now I believe the problem is the OBDII compliance in our diesel truck
OBDII used to be only for vehicles <8500 lbs GVW. They raised it to 14,000 in 2004,
our diesel trucks where not required to be OBDII compliant.

But anyways I can definitely read the oil pressure with my scan tool.
It could be a different PID but the oil pressure is definitely available thru ISO9141-2,  SCI BUS

IMG_20160906_192356605.jpg