• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

New Smart phone user with questions

OK guys my 10 year old flip phone was going south so I finally stepped into the 21 century and got an Iphone 6 plus.

Am in a massive learning curve here and am at wits end having never used a smart phone before, my wife has had one for about 3 years but I never played on it at all..

Loaded up the tapatalk app even though I have no idea how to use it or what it actually does but seem to see everyone on forums uses it and was searching for forums on it and this and another one I can not seem to find through tapatalk.

I can load up the sites through the web but am having trouble trying to figure out how to read the forum on a phone, I see talk of mobile versions and was wondering how to go about seeing this to get the content into a field of view that I can actually read.

Any must have apps I need to load or any other quick learning curve items to help me get started to learn things.

My wife recently switched from a Samsung phone to an apple phone as well and said it is a lot easier to use all around versus the other system plus pretty much my whole family on the wifes side uses them lots of nieces and nephews to help me out but have not sat down with them yet and wife just left for a business trip for the next 10 days so I am on my own to learn this thing on the fly.:ahhh::doh:

Edited by Wild and Free

AFAIK tapatalk is just a more simplistic way of viewing forums and it stays uniformed regardless of what forum. I personally just use the web browser and like on here, the mobile version pops up automatic. Mikes done all the hard work and it's really easy to use on your phone. 

Cant say there's any must have apps in my opinion but sooner or later you'll be doing something and be like 'hmm wonder if there's an app for that?!' And there probabaly will be! 

Just keep foolin with phone, that's the easiest way to learn and get better with it.

• Like 1

• Owner

Capture+_2016-10-22-07-58-07.pngNo app required here. Like right now I'm in Homedale, Idaho doing a roof job and all I got is my Android phone which is a LG G4. Like I typically use Google Chrome for my browser. I'm sure your using Safari. The web site can auto detect your screen size and use the proper screen layout.

Edited by Mopar1973Man
  • Like 1

Thanks guys, i did notice after I logged into the forums the second time that it did automatically switch to the easier to see mobile view. First time in wasn't so maybe had to stay on the pages longer for it to adjust.

Yeah the hidden icons and what all the icons and functions do is the hard part right now and then every app you open has its own set of hidden stuff yet again.

Still trying to figure out the basics like texting and phone calls yet never thought there was so many possibilities.

• Owner

My phone gets used for the Quadzilla tuner, making phone calls, MP3 player, photos of vehicle info, web searches, many many things. I use my phone quite bit since Mom's hospital trip. It allowed me to pay bills and handle banking while I was in Boise tending to Mom in the hospital. If this phone fails me I would but another LG G4 phone instantly. I really do like this phone.

Best thing is Android and Linux work together flawless and I'm able to transfer data by USB or WiFi. Super easy most apps are free like Linux.

Edited by Mopar1973Man

You also need to be mindful of what's going on behind the scenes. One function I turn off is "Backround app refresh". Basically some apps will stay awake and update even when you're not using them and can eat up data and battery life. 

"Location Services" is another I turn off except for while using the map app. Call me paranoid but I don't like my phone knowing exactly where I am all the time. 

Must have apps depends on what your into. I like the YouTube app and NOAA radar pro. 

• Like 1

• Owner

Being in usually near my charger like in my truck I normally leave it all fired up. Location, WiFi, and data. Now if I'm out roaming around I'll selectively turn the functions in and as required.

The biggest thing is being willing to sit down and experiment with apps and functions. Its also helpful to team up with experienced user and get a few lessons on the basics. Another is to do google search for actions you want to do with particular apps.

I would say I'm fairly knowledgeable user of Android devices now. iPhones on the other hand is kind of foreign to me.

I'm sitting in my truck here in Homedale, idaho again all I got is my smartphone for surfing. After awhile you get use to the idea.

Have not tried it yet but was thinking to try and see.

Wife and I are liking the facetime feature since she is out of town for over a week right now. just tried it a couple days ago for first time, my wife has an Iphone too but never used it until I called her on it now thats the only way she wants to try and call now lol.

Edited by Wild and Free

• Owner

I highly suggest you just take the time to sit down and learn your phone in the evenings. Don't rely on apps to do the work for you. Learn the manual functions first before using like Siri. This way no matter what you'll understand all the functions of the phone. There is plenty of web sites out there with write ups that will explain just about anything you want to know. Once you have the basics then you can start getting more advanced. Like my phone has voicemate which is like Siri but I won't use it. I would rather understand all the functions and where there at than asking an app to dail the phone or find a contact. Better off not using that as a crutch because you don't know or understand but as a advanced tool for later.  

• Like 1

I have been reading through the Apple user manual I found online and it is also on the phone but is easier to sit in front of a pc with phone I hand and walk myself through things a bit but some of the stuff is written for and towards a lot more advanced users who have been used to a smart phone already from what I am finding. I am reading through the manual and then have other links open to figure out what it is talking about, makes my head spin and then trying to do it on the fly working shift work makes learning a bit slower as well.

I most always have access to a pc so being a simpleton "Work smart not hard" just plop down in front of it rather than fiddling with the phone and getting frustrated lol.

• Owner

Like yesterday I stop by to talk to Mom at the hospital. Like I told her if I lost my phone or it fails I would replace it with another smart phone instantly. She responded then you better buy another phone. I looked puzzled at her because mine is working just fine right now. She responded again with that she would take my current phone and I would teach her how to use it. She is amazed on the many things I've managed to handle from just a smart phone. I'll be hunting for a replacement phone and be getting ready to pass my current phone on to Mom. So I'll go through the teaching process of getting her fired up with the basics of an Android LG G4 phone and most likely find an another LG series smart phone.