• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Sport headlights installed

Looking good, I've had mine clear-coated a few times now I think it's time to upgrade. Do they seem to be good quality? And do they come with good bright bulbs or just standard? Thanks for posting.

One trick I found over the years on some old plastic lenses that are yellow, take some good carb cleaner or the lacquer thinner, put it on a clean rag preferably with no lint, and wipe that yellow crap right off. Careful you only have so much time, before plastic is soft and your rag sticks to it. Keep rag clean and wet with thinner, make nice long swipes with it. You can only make a few passes and then you would have to wait till next day more than likely, if you have to make Corrections. It worked for me.

Edited by Dieselfuture

• Owner

From what I seen on the bulbs there are both 9004 and 9007 bulbs used standard halogen bulbs no brand name on them. I remember seeing 65w on one bulb for wattage. As for the headlight cases, they are good quality seem to have a light tint to the lens. Brackets are OEM design look identical to the ones I removed. The only thing you have to do is loosen your bumper bolts and tilt it down and the headlights can be removed. You don't need to remove the entire bumper to install. 

Wiring wise there are wired so that you still just 1 bulb per side. So one bulb is your hi and the other bulb is your lo beam. This is good so it's not placing huge loads on the headlight switch and dimmer switch. No, I did not get the relay kit my budget is rather tight these days. As for building my own, I've got an idea in my head of how I would do it. More than likely just like all the other kits you can purchase today. The biggest thing is getting your paws on the headlight plugs. 

• Owner
4 minutes ago, Dieselfuture said:

What do you guys mean by plugs.

And what's the relay kit for

Here is what most people upgrade with.

http://dieselautopower.com/upgraded-sport-light-harness-with-relays-9402slh/

What its about is getting true 12V power to the headlight and making them as bright as possible. The stock system seems to be limited on power and not supplying full 14 volts to the bulbs. So instead of paying the price for the kit I can build my own and save a few bucks just gotta get the plugs and relays and build my own.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Mopar1973Man said:

Hmmm... Hang on to them I might send you a few dollars for them...

Come up with what you think they are worth.  I havent priced them in a while and tried to sell them but people were too lazy to use them.

I can show you how my brite box works too.  Pretty simple.  Jumper and a relay.

• Owner

I hate to say it. I now know why the relay kit. The low beams are awesome, much wider path of light and very good quality. The high beam is horrid... Like OMG where did the light go? The high beams are a narrow slot of light as wide as the highway but the quality isn't that great at all. 

So I now understand the relay kit and why it's needed. When the relay kit is installed the two bulbs work in tandem and provide much more light. But with the splitter cable supplied is not a good option at all. So anyone going to consider the sport headlight option make sure to order the set with the relay kit.

@Mopar1973Man I have the exact same problem with the sport headlights  conversion I done a couple weeks ago. I have been running around at night with dims only, my fix is to do the britebox just for simplicity, I hope it works. I  do have brites but they just don't reach out very far. I'm not opposed to the relay kit either, just seems the brite box is just plug and play, and a little cheaper, unless your wiring your own, it will be a lot simpler and quicker for someone not so electrical inclined like myself. Anyway keep us posted how it works out.

15 hours ago, Mopar1973Man said:

I hate to say it. I now know why the relay kit. The low beams are awesome, much wider path of light and very good quality. The high beam is horrid... Like OMG where did the light go? The high beams are a narrow slot of light as wide as the highway but the quality isn't that great at all. 

So I now understand the relay kit and why it's needed. When the relay kit is installed the two bulbs work in tandem and provide much more light. But with the splitter cable supplied is not a good option at all. So anyone going to consider the sport headlight option make sure to order the set with the relay kit.

I swapped mine out  a couple maybe 3 years ago and while the low beams are pretty much like stock, definitely better than the yellowed oe ones,  the high beams reach out so far its ridiculous.  I used Eagle Eye stock replacement with the one bulb. 

Those look good, not too euro like.  I did the relay upgrade on my 67 mustang, I was told to go to broncograveyard and order their harness as it was the same setup used for the mustang, just cheaper for some reason.  The DAP relay seems a bit excessive at $150 though, my mustang kit was only $50.  I know there's a few more parts being a quad light setup, but it still doesn't add up. 

• Owner
1 hour ago, klcammie said:

Mike check out post Headlights options from January 18. There are pictures of how to repin the plugs. Mine were much better after the repin. Something about the lights being in series causing low output.

Not the issue. I've got 2 bulbs in each headlight but only one bulb at a time is lit. Always bright but the hi beam side is a narrow reflector so the beam path is narrow as well. 

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B009NXD0FC/ref=pd_aw_sim_sbs_263_of_8?ie=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=WCMDK74GKG8GKPZ191NK

I have access to an instruction sheet drafted by the designer of the relay harness system all the parts are easy and cheap to source.

Contact me if you want me to find a way to get it to you it's about ten pages very specific with wiring diagrams and all.