• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Is it a vp44 issue or an injector issue?

44 minutes ago, jlbayes said:

Thoroughbred is fine for turbos. Injectors are based on how much you want to spend. I have options from affordable to high end. Most parts are map priced now are map priced. Find someone you like besides CPP. A set of 7x.010s would work well with that charger. Turbines a bit old but works well. A 65mm or 68mm would be a better fit for most dd stuff. Even towing.

I'm running 7x.014 sac and an s366/73/14   T3 and gated, it takes forever to spool and leaves smoke so I need something more dd friendly 

Guess I should mention it's built and cammed not just injectors and a turbo and an edge comp lol

I have a quad 4K  with quad in it now but it's the old software. I'm sending the box in for an update next week. Will that clean things up for me instead of replacing turbo and injectors?  The custom tuning turns into a rabbit hole for me. but if I can get a low smoke tune for town id be super excited.  

33 minutes ago, Dieselfuture said:

Or you can get quad with v2 tuning and solve a lot of problems with what you got, as lon as you're keeping vp. :2cents:

^^^^ and I would see if you can trade it in for a regular quad instead of 4k just the ability of tuning canbus with v2 is worth its waight in gold, plus all the other options. Tuning is not bad after messing with it for a while, plus we can all help with that. I know how it works but the trick is what's best, so there is a ton of time spent on trying different tuning, canbus is pretty straight forward. Timing is not bad to figure out ether, how timing apply is bit more tricky but not bad. 

1 hour ago, trreed said:

The 4k box will hardly be streetable.  The custom tuning isn't that bad, and lets you get plenty of power with little or no smoke

20 minutes ago, Dieselfuture said:

^^^^ and I would see if you can trade it in for a regular quad instead of 4k just the ability of tuning canbus with v2 is worth its waight in gold, plus all the other options. Tuning is not bad after messing with it for a while, plus we can all help with that. I know how it works but the trick is what's best, so there is a ton of time spent on trying different tuning, canbus is pretty straight forward. Timing is not bad to figure out ether, how timing apply is bit more tricky but not bad. 

Agreed the 4K is grumpy. Basically I'm taking an engine I built to be a dyno/drag thing and turning it into a d/d lol. It wasn't very fun to drive with a redline 4K box either. Or a dragon fire vp44. 

It's taking some time to de tune it. Apparently that costs as much as hotrodding them lol.

maybe I'll get the new box and keep everything else for a minute. It's amazing what the quad does now compared to what I bought it

• Like 1

Okay guys put a new vp in yesterday. Pickup ran like a dream for the test drives. Went from Colorado Springs to Fort Collins and at the 100 mile mark white smoke bad miss and it hardly runs when you come to a stop. No fuel leaks no codes everything seems to be in order under the valve cover. 

What in the world is going on with this thing

Edited by Bluelinecody

7 hours ago, oldbeek said:

Ok where would you buy a VP44?  Is Vulcan selling a good rebuilt product? Mine has 190k on it and I want to be prepared to buy one if it goes out.

Everyone seems really tight lipped about where they buy parts lol thoroughbred has a good core policy and have a 2 year warranty. 

I think schied has their own bench but I haven't confirmed that

On 8/17/2017 at 8:21 PM, trreed said:

The 4k box will hardly be streetable.  The custom tuning isn't that bad, and lets you get plenty of power with little or no smoke

I wouldn't say a 4k box isn't streetable. without understanding what you are doing tuning wise it won't be very friendly. I'm daily driving my truck with a 4k box. Blue Chip has a very good write up for diagnosing a bad vp44, it's saved me from a a couple costly unnecessary pump replacements