• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Advice before purchase

Hello All,

So I am in the market for a truck. I owned a 2002 6 speed a few years ago. I'm looking to get something similar. I would like to get newer but I am limited on budget.

I was wondering if you guys could give me some advice on how heavy a camper a 2002 4x4 6 speed could comfortably pull.

I guess I'm looking for a general rule of thumb- If I get a camper that is over 10,000#, do I need a dully?

If I stay between 8 and 10,000# can I safely pull and stop without adding brake controllers and the lot.

I like to keep things pretty simple, I just wanted to be educated before I begin my search for truck and camper.

My goal is to have a stock truck, preferably not a dully, can add a 5th wheel  if need be- but just want to stay in comfortable parameters without a lot of hassle.

On a side note- my camper will pretty much be stationary- maybe occasionally pulled around.

Thanks for any advice you can give me.

Jason 

I would think at #10,000 you would need a dually,  given %20 typical pin weight you would be pretty heavy on the axle.  

As for a brake controller, you need one once you top the ~#2000 trailer weight.  CDOT requires brakes on any axle above that weight.  

• Staff

Also try getting a twin axle camper/ trailer so if you get a flat you still have a chance to pull off in a safe spot to change it. Twin axle is good for the contents inside since dips and potholes smooth out better having at least one wheel on the even road surface at all times.

I carry a 3000 lb  truck camper when fully loaded on a single rear wheel camper package truck. Its okay but takes some getting used to on the road. My next rv will be a fifth wheel since the hitch is more midship with less tail wag feel, since that it is what others are telling me.

Edited by JAG1

Thanks,

I will look for the twin axle.

I wanna get this right the first time. This is gona be a life style change for me. My wife and I will be living in this camper. Simplifying everything.....which is why I want to keep things simple.

So any help or advice is appreciated!

Edited by JasonT1977

• Staff

look for winter package with thicker insulated walls. You tell by looking at the window frame. Mine is 1 inch insulation and is thin window frames. It's not good with bad condensation build up.

Next, look for heated or enclosed tanks.

BTW. only Ford makes a Dully, Dodge makes Dually. lol

Edited by JAG1
  • Haha 1

I am currently pulling a 35' fifth wheel. I weighs right at 15k, My total weight is around 23K. That is 3k over the weight rating from Dodge.  I move mine 4 maybe 5 times a year. Some times 200 miles and occasionally 1000+ miles. All depends on where I am working. Mine is camper package equipped as @JAG1 mentions above. The 02 3/4 and 1 ton manual trucks are both rated at 20k pounds combine weight. The dually will be more stable with the extra wheels but the 3/4 ton can haul the same weight unless the dually is equipped with 4.10 gears. Mine does it well and only a few times have I ever wished I had the dually.

Even if a trailer brake was not required you would be foolish to not have one. The service brakes are not good enough to stop the truck and a heavy trailer. post-10340-138698206791_thumb.jpg

IYou should be fine with a single wheel truck especially if you're not going to tow every day for a living. And will be way better to get around when not towing. I've towed close to 14k trailer and excavator with a single wheel. Not something I want to do every day but around where I live there is a lot of farms and kids with these 2nd gens trying to push them to the their limits. So it can be done but you may have to look in to air bags and maybe better shocks. I think at this point you probably already know that fuel system has to be upgraded and wouldn't hurt to put at least rv275 and a tuner (quad with v2 tuning in my preference ) I also have an exhaust brake that helps a lot when towing it's bolted to the turbo and also wanted higher flowing turbo but like you said limited choices so I ended up having one built by North American Turbo and pretty happy so far, I even kept my old one as a core for a $100 extra. It's now a 62/67/12. And I'm able to use my EB. And for service breaks you can always upgrade to 3rd Gen 

Edited by Dieselfuture
  • Like 1

Thanks so much for your guys help.

I used to come here often before I sold my other one. The website has really changed and I had to get a different user name, but you guys are still great!

Exactly the info I wanted, if I where pulling for work, yea id spec everything and make it perfect. For what i'm wanting, I can add the brake some air bags and shocks and be good to go. 

Yes I am aware of the fuel upgrades needed- hopefully that will be done on the truck I buy.

I will be looking for the camper with upgraded insulation....thank you for that tip.

I cant wait to hear that turbo spool again! hahaha- regretted selling that truck ever since I sold it.

Thanks,

Jason

IMO any tandem axle trailer should be towed with a brake controller.

My dad has a 2005 Ram 2500 Diesel with the Dana 80 and air bags. His 5th was well over 13K loaded and pulled like a dream. And he gets better mileage towing that than I get towing mine at under 6,000 lb loaded. His truck is legal to pull a little over 20k lbs as certified by our local standards. I wouldn't be afraid of towing well over 10k with a 2500, but one could probably make the argument that a dana 80 would be better suited than the 70.

48 minutes ago, kzimmer said:

My dad has a 2005 Ram 2500 Diesel with the Dana 80 and air bags. His 5th was well over 13K loaded and pulled like a dream. And he gets better mileage towing that than I get towing mine at under 6,000 lb loaded. His truck is legal to pull a little over 20k lbs as certified by our local standards. I wouldn't be afraid of towing well over 10k with a 2500, but one could probably make the argument that a dana 80 would be better suited than the 70.

Unless he changed it, your dad's is an 11.5" AAM axle :thumbup2: 

48 minutes ago, kzimmer said:

The dana 80 is why I mentioned the camper package. As I understand it is part of that package. With out it you get the dana 70. The owner manual makes no distinction between the two on the load rating however.

1 hour ago, TFaoro said:

Unless he changed it, your dad's is an 11.5" AAM axle :thumbup2: 

Good call. I had to google that, I thought it was a D80. I just saw it was bigger than my D70 and ***-u-me took over, haha.

Edited by kzimmer
  • Like 1

Again thanks for the help!

This may not be the place to ask but..... I found A 2002 5 SPEED with 360k

He says the tranny has been rebuilt....All stock but 4" turbo back exhaust...;body looks good shape

just saw it on CL I havn't looked at it yet

Said he would take 7,500 for it...What do you guys think?

I tow with a basically stock 01 shortbed Dana 70, I gross just under 20k with all hooked up About 9500 lb on camper fully loaded, around 7500 on truck and and 2500 on boat. I have pretty much the bare minimum for towing but handles it ok. Like stated before the electric brake controller is a must, I wouldn't leave home with out it. I'm sure the trailer manufactures have the electric brakes as standard equipment, just make sure your truck has the in cab controller. The add on's like Exaust brake and engine performance are great when you can and afford to get them. Like myself they are in the future plans but for now I have no hesitation hooking up and traveling a 1000 miles or so, just have to be cautious and always expect the unexpected (mostly other drivers). Also stay away from the leveling kits if you can they just throw the geometry of the suspension off when all hooked up.

IMG_0728.JPG

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, JasonT1977 said:

Again thanks for the help!

This may not be the place to ask but..... I found A 2002 5 SPEED with 360k

He says the tranny has been rebuilt....All stock but 4" turbo back exhaust...;body looks good shape

just saw it on CL I havn't looked at it yet

Said he would take 7,500 for it...What do you guys think?

@Mopar1973Man how could you, and not let us know, and why so cheap ...:sofa:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2