• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Tyler's 4th Gen

TFaoro

13 hours ago, Dieselfuture said:

Well it's still not horrible, more fancy more money, just how it usually is. Plus more cubic inches, and a heavier truck. I'm sure you'll figure it out eventually to be in a happy spot.

I'm not complaining too much - once the emissions disappears it should improve some. 

I filled up twice today. 350 miles of 50/50 city highway turned out to be 16 on the dot, and 190 miles of 90% highway running 80mph+ turned out to be 18 on the dot. Not too shabby unloaded! Need to go buy DEF for it though. Ugh

• Staff
11 hours ago, Dieselfuture said:

Yeah, it's because it will be Electric lol.

Imagine an elect. moded truck owned by Dieselfuture....He'd plug in at night and we wouldn't be able to see the front door to our own house with the amount of power draw. lol

• Haha 1

On 11/24/2017 at 6:43 AM, Mopar1973Man said:

I heard a rumor that the next generation of Cummin engines will not use DEF. This is all still rumor but I'm hopeful.

On 11/24/2017 at 11:30 AM, dripley said:

I heard the DEF rumor myself also. We'll see.

What I've seen so far from Cummins is the industrial applications not having an EGR. The "aftertreatment" system is HUGE though, and I don't think they could fit it under a pickup. Maybe a big truck, but even then it looks big. I don't see it coming for us yet. 

The off road mining / construction equipment industry is fighting this issue now trying to find places on the equipment for all of the emissions components but I have not seen any mfg talking about non Def system yet. I have read something a while back from Cummins own site where they are looking to design electric drive systems. Here are a couple news stories from Cummins site.

https://www.cummins.com/news/releases/2017/10/16/cummins-announces-acquisition-energy-storage-technology

https://www.cummins.com/news/2017/11/20/five-things-about-electrification-youll-only-hear-cummins

Edited by Wild and Free

13 hours ago, Mopar1973Man said:

Could you post up some pictures so I can get a better grasp of what you are talking about?

12 hours ago, Wild and Free said:

The off road mining / construction equipment industry is fighting this issue now trying to find places on the equipment for all of the emissions components but I have not seen any mfg talking about non Def system yet. I have read something a while back from Cummins own site where they are looking to design electric drive systems. Here are a couple news stories from Cummins site.

https://www.cummins.com/news/releases/2017/10/16/cummins-announces-acquisition-energy-storage-technology

https://www.cummins.com/news/2017/11/20/five-things-about-electrification-youll-only-hear-cummins

It's the 2019 industrial equipment that will be EGR free (Stage V)

Whether this stuff will make it to the US or not, I'm not sure. 

Good on them for finding a way to eliminate the EGR!  Almost a throwback to the VP44 trucks that met the emissions standards of the time without a cat, or the late model, emission free 5.9's 

The start/stop feature seems like it will bring some premature maintenance to items if the motor isn't properly cooled first. 

• 1 month later...
On 12/30/2017 at 9:23 PM, Dieselfuture said:

Any updates on your new toy.

Nothing fun haha. The oil pan gasket is starting to leak worse. I'm trying to decide if I want to let the dealer fix it, or do it myself. 

I have problems allowing people to work on my crap :shifty: 

Just the thought of some monkey under there messing with stuff bothers me. Will they break or bend something and not tell / fix it? Will they put the gasket in right? Will they just fill it with silicone and give it back? If I do it myself at least I'll know it's done right!

BTW the new pan gaskets are 4 piece, so it can be replace without pulling the whole pan / pickup tube out. 

• Owner
23 minutes ago, TFaoro said:

Will they break or bend something and not tell / fix it? Will they put the gasket in right? Will they just fill it with silicone and give it back?

Tell them you want to see the damaged parts. Tell them you want to see the pan after its removed or dropped. It's your privilege to make these demands if they are not will to comply find another dealer. I had a special understanding with the service manager and could get peeks at the work being done.

• Staff
On 11/23/2017 at 12:12 AM, TFaoro said:

So real MPG isn't good towing. 

30ft gooseneck weighing 7K on the way up and 11 or 12K on the way back. 250 miles and a whopping 11.49mpg. 

You were expecting higher? That seems pretty good for the trailer.