• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Track Bar failures

Has anybody  figured out why track bar failure occurs?

This will be the 4th or 5th one that I have had to replace in 170k....

The end that attaches to the cross member is quite loose...

If I recall correctly, the last one I  replaced was in 2016 at about 160k .

It is a Quick Steer brand made of "Forged Steel" according to the manf.

Thanks and if You Guys have a recommended unit to buy this time, I am ready to try a different brand.

Ed

PS: I am a much more mellow driver in my advanced age (53) than I used to be!!

• Owner

Tires and size. I ditched the 265's and went to 235's and only replaced 2 track bars in 330k miles. NAPA was my last one was really good lasted over 150k miles. I've got a lifetime Autozone now and I know it will fail soon. No grease zerk. :rolleyes:

54 minutes ago, DocH said:

PS: I am a much more mellow driver in my advanced age (53) than I used to be!!

I'm 47 so I'm right there with you... 

If I may add, front springs settle with time and put pressure on track bar shoving the axle to passenger side. So there is constant pressure on it. In my mind the only cure is to put an adjustable track bar on and periodically keep an eye on it if it needs adjusted. Do you notice how you have to put a jack under the frame and lift it up to get the bolt lined up. 

There is also a rebuild kit for the ball joint side that has lifetime warranty so you don't have to change track bar every time especially if it's out of warranty

https://lukeslink.com/about

And the bushing on the bottom side is sold at just about any part store, just make sure you get a poly one.

P.s. I'm still young and stupid

Edited by Dieselfuture
  • Thanks 2

I’ve used the Luke’s link that dieselfuture 

Posted, I used them on all the joints, installed 6 years ago and have held up well, but track bar joint is due for maintenance, They do come with shims to take up slack, I havnt tried it yet but will do here in the near future, if worse case I can just install a new link. Stil beats paying the big bucks for a new track bar. With that said, I do believe they only work with the factory size bar.   

and since were talking age here. I’m still 25 in my mind, but periodically my 51 year old body has to remind me how old I really am.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

• 1 month later...

Any OE or similar style track bar uses what is effectively a tie rod end for the joint at the crossmember. As shown by the factory Dodge steering components (T-style), tie rod ends don't like to be used at an angle with linear loads perpendicular to or in parallel with the axis of the stud. They hold up well enough for steering, but when they have to bear the load of the truck's weight transferring, plus act as a fixed piece for the steering to leverage off of, they don't hold up. The outer housing that's part of the track bar itself will first slide along the axis of the stud, since the relative angle of the bar from joint to joint is more aligned with that axis, and consequently exerts the load on the ball at this angle (not just horizontally). Leveled or lifted suspensions exacerbate this by increasing the angle from horizontal and putting the joint at a more extreme position in its range of motion. Best thing to do is swap it for one that has bushings, Johnny joints, or heim joints at both ends using a conversion bracket. I really like mine from Dodge Off Road, but you can always go with Synergy, BD, etc (though I think they aren't as strong or well-designed). Whatever route you take, always keep front end components well-greased and clean of debris.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

4th track bar in 171 k...Biggest tires I have run was 1 set of 285's...

Mostly 265's and the truck has had an easy life...min towing rtc...

Dunno ....

So I guess, being as I'm waiting for the Doc to clear Me to get back to work ($12.00 per hour kinda puts a crimp in the ol budget, but Man am I Glad to get that!!) , what's the consensus as to the best value in a lower-cost track bar?

Edited by DocH
Added content

I have the original track bar. I've checked the end several times it still seems tight

My trucks whole steering is tight too

I 'baby' my truck though

Edited by GSP7
  • Like 1

My last track bar was a:
 Quick Steer DS1413 Track Bar
 and it was installed in May of 2016...approx 10k ago...and about 6k of the 10 was just interstate driving!!

Hmmm...I can get a ProForged Adjustable thru Amazon for around $100.00...BUT, the reviews I am seeing there are not very encouraging!

Here is the part:
Proforged 106-10044 Greasable E-Coated Track Bar

I hope I'm not getting in trouble here, but I will cut and paste a couple of statements from some folks who Did buy the 100.00 bar:

"had the track bar for 4months and i havent even put 2000 miles on it and i have to tighten the trac bar every other day even after using loctitie"

"I have had this on my dodge truck less than 2000 miles and its wore out and cant figure out how to get product warranty of 100,000 please help
Proforged 106-10044 Greasable E-Coated Track Bar"

You Guys are getting the idea....
Maybe I am just better off getting a ACDelco 46B1127A for 45.88 and call it good.

The local Autozone = 85 + tax for the non-adj bar.

How important is the fact that the bar be Adjustable?

Thoughts?

With time front end sags and frame pushes on track bar which pushes axle to one side and that's what causes faster track bad wear with time. So when you adjust it the idea is to center axle and frame so at normal level condition there is no pressure on track bar only when on uneven ground it will keep axle where it needs to be. In my mind it should of had adjustable bar from factory. No different then doing alignment with adjustable tierods. But you know some ceo had to make more money.  

I would probably try that adjustable bar for 100 before partstore one, but Hurd to tell quality from pictures. I'm sure once you get it where you want it couple pipe wrenches wold get it tight enough or a good tack weld.

Another option is to rebuild yours with  https://www.genosgarage.com/product/lukeslink-tbrkit/trackbar-rebuild

• Thanks 1

I cant argue with what @Dieselfuture says on adjust ability. I have about 20k on my second MOOG non adjustable track bar. The cost was about $100 from Rock Auto. the first one had about 160k on it. Hopefully this one will get the same. Dont know yet. My springs, as best I can tell, have not sagged. At least if they have they have done it equally. 

2 hours ago, Dieselfuture said:

With time front end sags and frame pushes on track bar which pushes axle to one side and that's what causes faster track bad wear with time. 

Ok, I got a question, I was Gonna start a new thread, but I saw this about the track bars and thought what the heck. I replaced mine 2 years ago with a moog. The weird part, it was longer than the one I took off? And the steering wheel was way off, I had to adjust it. I went back to orielys and compared another one, it was same size as the moog. Went to Napa, different brand, same size as the moog. Tires don't wear uneven, but now I get water to kick up on passenger side window when it rains?

Edited by Alexio Auditore
Accidentally submitted before I finished typing