• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

AirDog 150 - Finally failed

• Staff
1 hour ago, Mopar1973Man said:

Kind of hard to judge on mileage alone. I can tell of many times sitting in parking lots idling away to keep warm with 0*F weather. Then like last summer many days of idling in parking lots to keep from frying to death. All the times I kicked 3 cylinder warm up or 6 cylinder warm up. Jump-starting other vehicles. I'm sure there is a few thousand hours more on the pump motor in idle time.

Thats where average mph comes into play, as it accounts for idle time. A 15 mph average is very very low and has a lot of idle time. 

A few thousand hours of idle time is nothing short of excessive in 250K miles. 

• Owner

Just in fuzzy math assuming I kept the engine running for the last year every time I went down to Ontario for dialysis treatments for MoparMom. 

13 hours per trip x 3 day a week = 39 hours a week x 52 week in a year = 2,028 hours running. Just in One Year. I've almost got 2 years counting of running back and forth. 

Excessive maybe...  But fuzzy math and not accounting for the actual stop time. So now spread that over 12 years and this number might be a bit more or less. Just looking from another angle and the amount of running time in resent times. Then there might be years where its was much less. 

I remember more than once where the engine was started and never really got shut down all day. 

Truthfully, I really not going to complain about the pump motor failing. I think I've got my $520 dollars worth from a 12-year-old pump traveling 250k miles.

Edited by Mopar1973Man

• Staff

How many miles round trip on a moparmom trip?

No it’s not horrible, it just seems shorter than it should be based on advertisements I’ve seen. 

I have a lower than average mph due to all the back roads stuff I do, and I’m still at 32.7. 133K miles and 4087 hours. 

Edited by AH64ID

How long is the FASS pump's advertised life span? I don't remember how long the AD much less the FASS systems life span is advertised at. 85k is well short of what I expected for sure. My engine idles a lot also, but only in the winter and the suummer.

8 hours ago, dripley said:

How long is the FASS pump's advertised life span? I don't remember how long the AD much less the FASS systems life span is advertised at. 85k is well short of what I expected for sure. My engine idles a lot also, but only in the winter and the suummer.

I could have swore I seen them say something about 1 million miles, because they put these pumps on semis, and someone got over a million. I thought it was on Fass site a while back when I bought my pump. And they were also proud of it how it can pump gelled fuel, obviously if fuell has moisture it it, it will just freeze and filters will plug up with gelled fuel more than likely that or they wouldn't flow very well.

• Staff
34 minutes ago, Mopar1973Man said:

In the beginning was 360 to 400 miles. Currently its 250 to 300 miles. 

250 miles in 13 hours, worst case based on what you've said, is 19 mph average.. which is low but likely not your life average. 

Even with your worst case, assuming your entire average is that low which is very unlikely, it's 13,000 hours on the pump which is better but I'm quite certain your average is probably closer to 30. (400 miles with 13 hours run time is just over 30). 

A 30 mph average would be 8300 hours. 

For looking at hours 45 mph average is a vehicle with lots of highway miles, 30-35 is average, 25 is low generally for excessive idle or city operations. Anything under 20 is a red flag. 

I've had one tank with an average of 9.9 and it was for 300 miles with little idling, just SLOW towing and trailer maneuvering. 

Simply looking at how many hours you got out of it, nothing more.   

• Owner
5 minutes ago, AH64ID said:

I've had one tank with an average of 9.9 and it was for 300 miles with little idling, just SLOW towing and trailer maneuvering. 

Well, then I've had several. All the years of backing trailers on the woods getting firewood. All the time idling setting up to drag logs. Like yesterday if my truck was running again driving very slow up forestry roads looking for firewood. Below 20 MPH

9 minutes ago, AH64ID said:

250 miles in 13 hours, worst case based on what you've said, is 19 mph average.. which is low but likely not your life average.

True its not a life average either. Still I'm sitting here thinking al the times I've fired it up and left it idling is quite a bit. That what caused my last alternator to fail was the excessive amount of idling last winter with grid heaters banging away at the alternator burned the diodes out. I can think of lots of times it was started and left to idle. 

• Staff
14 minutes ago, Mopar1973Man said:

Well, then I've had several. All the years of backing trailers on the woods getting firewood. All the time idling setting up to drag logs. Like yesterday if my truck was running again driving very slow up forestry roads looking for firewood. Below 20 MPH

Yeah I get a few tanks a year below 25, but my life average sits just above 32 so I don't worry about it. 

15 minutes ago, Mopar1973Man said:

That what caused my last alternator to fail was the excessive amount of idling last winter with grid heaters banging away at the alternator burned the diodes out. I can think of lots of times it was started and left to idle. 

Do 2nd gen grid heaters not turn off after 2 minutes?

• Owner
1 minute ago, AH64ID said:

Do 2nd gen grid heaters not turn off after 2 minutes?

Something like that. 2 to 3 minutes roughly what I remember. Instant cancel if you reach above 20 MPH. But just firing up in a parking lot and idling to stay warm, yeah you taking the full time of the grid heaters. 

1 hour ago, Silverdodge said:

Sorry the New 4g motors have a intermediate shaft and that's all there replacement motors are the new 4gs

That is a much better design, but if a wheep hole is plugged fuel will still force it's way passed a seal that is in the motor part. Unless they installed that seal with a lip/spring facing pump and not motor then it may work, assuming they used a seal and not oring. Idk I'm just thinking out loud here. 

• Owner

Where that wave washer/spring is mine had rusted into pieces. 

Seriously though. After all the years and 1/4 million miles. I'm not complaining one bit nor am I worried about exact hour specification of the motor and did it reach it or not. The mere fact it ran for 12 years and that mileage is awesome. I hate to say it but the AirDog pump motor lasted longer than the blower motor in the dash that is used even less. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• Owner

Sorry late getting back to this post. The replacement AirDog 150 pump head came on Monday. Really simple repair. There is only 4 Allen bolts holding the pump and motor to the filter base. The new pump comes with fresh check ball for the inlet this prevents draining back to the tank. There is 2 square cut o-rings little oil on the o-ring and they stick to the pump groove. Now there is 2 fresh dowel pins for location. Clean up the face with a rag and bolt it on. Torque the Allen bolts to 90 in/lbs. Now just assemble the pump in the truck. 

Now for my first-time run, I just bumped the key and it primed right up instantly. The problem is I was running 3 shims in the regulator and the fuel pressure shot to 25-26 PSI first hit. Now I had to unscrew the regulator and pull my shims out. Now after pulling the shims and bumping the starter again I hit 19 PSI right off. 

Now my first trip out on Tuesday the first 100 miles was rather disturbing. The pressure was jumping all around. Down as low as 14 PSI and as high as 22 PSI. After spending the day starting and stopping in Ontario, OR. the truck the AirDog pump final settled down to 18-19 PSI and very smooth. The jumpy pressure swings stopped.

I might have another 250k mile winner only time will tell..

Good to hear you back up and running. My AD II has a pressure regulator on it. Seems I have heard many bad things about them here and elsewhere. But when I replaced my bad pump, one adjustment on install and one a little later when it settled down. Same thing I did when it was new. Just simple adjustment on the jam nut and the screw. Dont know why every one hates them so much.

Congrats, I wish when mine started to leak, airdog would send me a new motor for free. When I called them and explained my problem, they said since I wasn't original owner it wasn't covered. Then I tried to get parts from them with no luck. So I got a Fass now, airdog will never see another dime from me, because I think they should cover the product not who owns it. That's how all those part stores are able to sell you lifetime warranty junk and still make money, because most of people won't have a vehicle long enough for parts to go out.

I ended up figuring out what seal and O-rings to use eventually and rebuilt that pump myself, so now it's  just sitting on the shelf. 

In all honesty my next pump with be mechanical.