• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

6 Speed manual transmission ~ NV5600 ~ General Questions

https://www.amazon.com/Genuine-4874464-Manual-Transmission-Lubricant/dp/B000TWI45M

Yeah its not cheap. 

Last time I bought it was 7 bucks over counter I was questioning if they were still smoked from the night before. 

Realistically any of the approved oils "should" work ok.  

On 6/20/2018 at 8:03 PM, Alexio Auditore said:

I remember hearing once that it goes out the quickest because its used the most. Both 3rd and 4th really. 4th only gives me a little grief when cold. On 3rd, I just shift a bit slower into it, let the rpms drop and put a little pressure on it, eventually it accepts it and slides in without grinding......usually.

My grandfather in law takes off in third from a dead stop all the time in his cummins. I cringe everytime lol. It doesnt sound to good

Your grand father is a dumbass. sorry.

all you have to do is have it in 2nd and let off the clutch with no throttle and it goes. And goes well.

If you are have issues with the shift going into gear pause for a bit then try. 

Its a small big truck transmission not a bmw gated

9 hours ago, leety said:

I went ahead and changed the fluid and top loaded 6 Qts. of the Pennzoil Synchromesh in it.  The old fluid was very clean and the inside of the tranny was clean as well.  It was a fun little project taking apart the shifter assy for the top loading :-)

Seems to be shifting fine, well it was before, but I feel like I have the right amount of the right fluid in there now rather than not enough of possibly the wrong fluid in there.

Thanks everyone for your input.  Much appreciated.

I give you credit for that. 

Im a little puzzled and spooked about ripping apart the top and filling it. 

I never have figured that out. 

So I have a fast cooler coming and I am just going to lay the truck over with the hoist to fill it. 

I figure it would be the same amount as filling from the top.

1 hour ago, Ben said:

https://www.amazon.com/Genuine-4874464-Manual-Transmission-Lubricant/dp/B000TWI45M

Yeah its not cheap. 

Last time I bought it was 7 bucks over counter I was questioning if they were still smoked from the night before. 

Realistically any of the approved oils "should" work ok.  

Your grand father is a dumbass. sorry.

all you have to do is have it in 2nd and let off the clutch with no throttle and it goes. And goes well.

If you are have issues with the shift going into gear pause for a bit then try. 

Its a small big truck transmission not a bmw gated

I give you credit for that. 

Im a little puzzled and spooked about ripping apart the top and filling it. 

I never have figured that out. 

So I have a fast cooler coming and I am just going to lay the truck over with the hoist to fill it. 

I figure it would be the same amount as filling from the top.

Taking the shifter apart and top loading the fluid was big fun for me :-)

11 minutes ago, Ben said:

:neutral: I'll pick the truck off its side. No matter how much fun you describe toploading. 

I will post pictures. 

Sorry I am an old curmudgeon 

I've been taking stuff apart and successfully reassembling them since I was a little kid.  Genetic mutation ;-)  The puzzles are my favorite part of life.  And the view down in there is beautiful???

35 minutes ago, leety said:

I've been taking stuff apart and successfully reassembling them since I was a little kid.  Genetic mutation ;-)  The puzzles are my favorite part of life.  And the view down in there is beautiful???

You are a better person than i Leety.

Sckeeves me about going in through the top but have no issues laying truck over on its right to fill it, Im just weird.       

• Like 1

I fill my NV5600 from underneath. I use a pump from the auto parts that fits on the lube bottle. I put a piece of clear tubing on the nozzle. I use the next to the top PTO cover bolt holes as a fill point and fill until lube starts coming out of the hole. I have a CB radio mounted and some other stuff, so it is quicker than getting to the trans top cover. Also, I run a 50/50 mix of Amsoil MTL & MTF. Seems to work OK. I also put a big magnet in the trans.

I did have 2 Blumenthall coolers on the trans, but had to take the passenger side off when I went to 4" exhaust. I put the stand off exhaust heat shield on like I believe Katoom did to cut down on heat.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

I am installing TDS pto covers on my NV5600.  I have a 5 gallon pail of Amsoil MTL and SAE 50 synthetic gear oil.  I am thinking about mixing 3.5 quarts of BOTH fluids 50/50.  :sofa: Let's hear the comments.  

Perhaps something like this maybe a better compromise?

https://cart.santiemidwest.com/heavy-duty-lubricants/gear-oils/chevron-delo-esi-40-transmission-pail/?_vsrefdom=adwords&_vsrefdom=adwords&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIp_eYnriU3gIVj7fACh0XBAWxEAQYBCABEgL3pvD_BwE

Edited by LiveOak
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, LiveOak said:

I am installing TDS pto covers on my NV5600.  I have a 5 gallon pail of Amsoil MTL and SAE 50 synthetic gear oil.  I am thinking about mixing 3.5 quarts of BOTH fluids 50/50.  :sofa: Let's hear the comments.  

Perhaps something like this maybe a better compromise?

https://cart.santiemidwest.com/heavy-duty-lubricants/gear-oils/chevron-delo-esi-40-transmission-pail/?_vsrefdom=adwords&_vsrefdom=adwords&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIp_eYnriU3gIVj7fACh0XBAWxEAQYBCABEgL3pvD_BwE

I don't recommend mixing oil, you don't know what you are making, they may not be compatible. The link you posted sounds like good oil, I wouldn't be afraid to use it. I use 15/40 Diesel Engine Oil in mine, 323k towing heavy, standard fill plug level.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, NIsaacs said:

I don't recommend mixing oil, you don't know what you are making, they may not be compatible. The link you posted sounds like good oil, I wouldn't be afraid to use it. I use 15/40 Diesel Engine Oil in mine, 323k towing heavy, standard fill plug level.

How long have you been using 15/40 in your nv5600. Anything abnormal when you drain it? 

• Like 1

• Staff
6 hours ago, LiveOak said:

I wouldn't mix them, and I wouldn't use any SAE 50. The SAE 50 is not a syncromesh fluid, and thus likely not compatible with the NV5600

The SAE 50 is supposed to be a GL-4 and acceptable for the NV4500. NV4500 fluids in a NV5600 often leads to bad things. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, AH64ID said:

I wouldn't mix them, and I wouldn't use any SAE 50. The SAE 50 is not a syncromesh fluid, and thus likely not compatible with the NV5600

The SAE 50 is supposed to be a GL-4 and acceptable for the NV4500. NV4500 fluids in a NV5600 often leads to bad things. 

The SAE 40 would fair no better in your opinion?

• Like 1

• Staff
3 minutes ago, LiveOak said:

The SAE 40 would fair no better in your opinion?

Correct. Like the SAE 50 the website says it's a MT-1 which is a non-syncro manual transmission fluid. 

It may also be a GL-4, like the SAE 50 that only says it on the pail not the spec sheet, but either way that's not a fluid I would put in a NV5600

• Like 1

I have about a half of a 5 gallon pail of the Pennzoil Synchromesh and a full pail of Amsoil MTL.  I have been using the Pennzoil Synchromesh for the past 15 years without any issues but I would like to find a fluid if possible that would make the shifting better.  My wife's NV5600 in her 2001.5 has an angry synchronizer if you forget and rush the shift.  We have been living with that too.  I changed out the fluid in her NV5600 with the Pennzoil Synchromesh which DID substantially improve the shifting.  When I changed the manual transmission oil in her Honda Element and did not tell her, she wanted to know what I did to make the transmission shift so much better.  If possible, I am hoping to achieve something along this line.  Nothing radical, just a good improvement.  

The TDS pto covers will add a quart due to the relocated fill port and either 5 oz.  or 6 oz. from the extra space machined into the pto cover for a total of 10 oz. or 12 oz. when mounting a pair depending upon which version you go with. 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/TDS-PTO-Cooler-Cover-Dodge-NV5600-Proper-fluid-level-1-8-NPT-USA-Made/192691182335?hash=item2cdd4a1aff:g:P3MAAOSw-kdXxiO1:sc:USPSPriorityMailSmallFlatRateBox!38425!US!-1:rk:3:pf:0

https://www.ebay.com/itm/TDS-PTO-Cover-Dodge-NV5600-Proper-fluid-level-Made-in-USA/192691917573?hash=item2cdd555305:g:CtgAAOSwjDZYaqiE:sc:USPSPriorityMailSmallFlatRateBox!38425!US!-1:rk:6:pf:0  

• Like 1

• Staff

I  have received multiple comments on how nicely my NV5600 shifts. I have ran Amsoil MTF (assume that's what you mean by MTL??) since I owned the truck. 

My only shifting issues are stopped it hates to go into gear sometime, but that's a clutch issue and aside from pulling the trans it's here to stay for a while. 

• Like 1