• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

The Future of Trucks

Me78569

Dunno if anyone else has been watching the trends as of late with the technology going into cars and trucks, but I find it very interesting.  I myself am nearly %100 positive that we will see a over take of gas/diesel in the next 10 years by Electric.  

https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20180702005572/en/Cummins-Announces-Acquisition-Electric-Hybrid-Powertrain-Provider

Cummins is moving a large section of their operations to it.  

VW built a Electric Peak car that stomped the old records

https://mashable.com/2018/06/25/volkswagen-pikes-peak-car/#FGXNO2fxQaqw

%25 of the power it took to go up the hill was generated by the brakes going up the pass.

Demon vs Tesla  

P100D Dyno 

P100D-Dyno-Chart.jpg

No gears, no turbo lag and %100 torque at idle.  

In wheel motor 100 hp each 700+ ft/lb %85 efficency of energy recoup during braking.

https://www.nanalyze.com/2014/03/proteans-unique-100hp-in-wheel-electric-motor/

They are a complete package in 1, feed it power and a command for how much output and that's it.  

the only thing we are lacking at this point is a way to store the energy with a high enough energy density to replace fossil fuels.  Multiple recharge techonologies have proven 30 minute %80 charge possiblity.  

I did take note of BP buying Londons largest electric vehicle charging firm
Read more at https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/business/energy-giant-bp-bets-on-electric-car-boom-10481430
https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/business/energy-giant-bp-bets-on-electric-car-boom-10481430

Pretty cool stuff.

Edited by Me78569
  • Like 1

• Owner

Until I see an electric vehicle that is capable of covering several hundred miles on a charge on mountain roads without fuel... You could even throw the Toyota Prius on that 1/4 mile track. fine so the car can drive a quarter mile fast. So what? Will it drive 300 to 500 miles on an electric (no fuel) in a day on a single charge? I already know that this won't happen because of the federal fuel taxes. This is why the true hybrid are sold in EU and the wanna-be gas power hybrids are sold here USA.

• Like 1

• Staff

I do not like electric cars/ trucks. Almost hit twice in a grocery parking lot by people that were cutting through and make no sound to warn me. Keep in mind it was clear before crossing.

We had one lady at my wifes office with a new one. By the time she got close to work she didn't have enough power to use the wipers in the rain.

I don't think they much of a solution to anything since it greater reliance on nuclear power and lethal waste. 

Edited by JAG1
  • Like 1

Again battery density is holding things up.  Battery tech is catching up.  

Various high voltage charge solutions are in testing to give that 300 mile range in 15-30 minutes.

Not a perfect solution yet, but it is coming.

• Like 1

It is definitely coming. I won't be surprised when some bigger cities start banning fossil fueled cars to degree for air quality. I would like to know the difference in how pollution is created generating the power for the vehicle compared to burning the fuel in the vehicle. It does bug me when I see the vehicles classified as non polluting. You have to generate the power with something.

The quietness of them bothers me since the sound of on coming vehicles alerts you before stepping in front of them. Need something like the deer whistles for pedestrians on them.

Battery storage is the hold back for now but the deeper they dive into the tech the quicker the solution will be found and more big money is getting into it.

Solar starts to make sense when you have a car to charge.  

Give me a hd truck with 500 mile range unloaded and sub 30 minute charge stations and I will throw the keys to the 4th gen to a bum on the corner lol.    

Edited by Me78569

I believe it’s comming too, and with big corporations like Cummins, and BP in the game I’m sure they wouldn’t be doing it if it wernt to pay off in the near future. Even here in Colorado no matter who gets elected governer they dream of having the state to be run off 100% renewable energy by 2040. even the environment wackos are succeeding in getting the production of coal fired plants shut down so who knows how these people are going to find ways to charge thier systems, Anyone seen the footprint solar panels and windmills leave on the terrain. I hope they come up with something better than that. 

And for the loss of federal and state fuel tax revenue that ain’t no big deal, they will just find another way to tax us.

I am glad I will be out of the working industrial world before any of this takes effect. 

I might just say F.... it ! and move into a straw hut down in the Bahamas some where.   Powered by a 100w. solar panel.  Just enough to keep the ? cold.

Unlike Coal power it does not make sense to do large solar arrays in my mind,  Telsa is on the right track with their solar singels to be mounted on the roof of houses.     

If every house had a small array of panels we would be set.  Then put into place a high density energy storage setup and there you go.  

1 hour ago, dripley said:

It is definitely coming. I won't be surprised when some bigger cities start banning fossil fueled cars to degree for air quality. I would like to know the difference in how pollution is created generating the power for the vehicle compared to burning the fuel in the vehicle. It does bug me when I see the vehicles classified as non polluting. You have to generate the power with something.

The quietness of them bothers me since the sound of on coming vehicles alerts you before stepping in front of them. Need something like the deer whistles for pedestrians on them.

Battery storage is the hold back for now but the deeper they dive into the tech the quicker the solution will be found and more big money is getting into it.

There’s almost always a trade off of some sort. You’re right on with what sacrifices need to be made in order to have solar energy be prevalent. Same mindset as those who choose to be vegan because of animal cruelty. That’s all fine and dandy and live/eat however you want, but don’t act like those bean farmers or whatever don’t kill EVERYTHING to keep those crops alive.  

• Like 1

I have seen I several places in towns small recharge for electric car, 2 or 4 bay setups. Out on 81 north in northern VA there is a Sheetz I stop pretty regular. They installed a 10 bay Tesla charging station there. At least it has the Tesla logo on them. This is on well traveled interstate but well outside of the big city. I have not noticed any around here in Maryland in the DC area but have bought fuel here very few times.

17 minutes ago, Me78569 said:

No different than a beer shop and a gas station. Lol

Both on same property.  Pot shop across the street... couple times people getting hit crossing back on busy street, not paying attention.

• Owner

Be aware there are places on this earth where solar is not optimal. Like here where I'm at in the dead of winter there is such a small window of direct sunlight that solar is worthless all winter. Remember indirect lighting (shaded) produces 75% to 90% less energy than direct sunlight on the solar panels. Then the more you keep moving north the shorter the daylight hours become. Being I'm living in a solar and hydro powered house I understand the limitations of solar.

Now being I've been certified for extraction for the fire dept. There is a huge safety hazard to hybrid cars you MUST know exactly where you can and can't cut on the car for extraction. Then if the car is on fire they highly suggest leaving the car burn the battery is so darn toxic that its best to let it burn than having it leaking battery chemicals that are corrosive and hazardous. I remember read years ago that the Toyota Pirus is the MOST toxic vehicle in the world because of the batteries.

http://www.electrocuted.com/2016/11/28/electrocution-hazards-electric-cars/

Edited by Mopar1973Man

With as many big players starting to get into this it wont long for solutions to come. There will a lot trial and error going but that's true for most innovations I have seen thru my life. They are already going thru that right now with electric cars.

We have some solar farms out my way but no wind mills due to lack of enough wind. They do want to put some off the coast but that's going to be while. I am not against some solar on the house but not sure what all it would take to do it. Don't have the money right now anyway.