• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

The Future of Trucks

Me78569

On 9/7/2018 at 10:10 AM, Mopar1973Man said:

I'll keep my Diesel truck, thank you. I don't need to die in one of Telsa's death traps.

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2018/06/07/tesla_crash_report/

All things start with issues.  Gotta keep in mind the number of cars on the roads and the pure number of crashes we have had.   How many Deaths due to broken tie rods.  How many due to those terrible tires on the ford explorer?  

It is easy to look at a specific situtation and say " oh no x deaths for one model"    I dont trust autopilot either, but it is getting better and better and they learn with each mistake.   10 or 20 deaths due to auto pilot is still a far cry from the 100's of deaths we have each day due to people on their cell phones.   

Driving is not safe period. 

Edited by Me78569
  • Like 1

On 9/7/2018 at 11:10 AM, Mopar1973Man said:

I'll keep my Diesel truck, thank you. I don't need to die in one of Telsa's death traps.

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2018/06/07/tesla_crash_report/

I cringe every time my kids get a ride in that pile that my wife's sister got. And she does trust that thing. Once I mentioned something like, "what you really trust that thing" I just got a look back like what you still drive your pos old truck and car. So I don't say anything anymore and leave in hopes of nothing bad happening. Kinda helpless when the whole world wants to move towards AI future and most can't wait. Sad really, there needs to be a line in the sand.

• Staff

I'm with you DieselFuture...... there is so much bullshit .... no originality anymore.

I like the old ways myself and will always enjoy taking it easy down a country mountain road watching the road and using my own abilities so they always stay sharp, keeping my own sense of direction and memory of the map.

Edited by JAG1
  • Like 2

I’ve read most of the posts in this thread, and given, I’m an old fart, but I will miss the noise and aromas of traditional IC vehicles I grew up with.  Hell, even the fuel smelled better back then.  Something about aromatic hydrocarbons that wakes up old brain cells for me.  And some VP brand C14 Leaded race fuel WOW.  But not healthy.  As kids we used to run behind the trucks spraying for mosquitoes, haha.

Something I haven’t seen mentioned is the Fact that there is a Finite amount of energy on the earth.  In different forms, sure, but you, and I, cannot create energy. So, as the technology advances, more efficient methods of Converting

energy for our use will be the challenge.  I will miss the old ways for sentimental reasons, but like the buggy whip makers, will need to adapt to a world with no buggies.

8 hours ago, Imaybail said:

As kids we used to run behind the trucks spraying for mosquitoes, haha.

That was DDT and we ysed do it too. We called ut yhe fog machine and for as long as we could keep up with it.

8 hours ago, Imaybail said:

Something I haven’t seen mentioned is the Fact that there is a Finite amount of energy on the earth.  In different forms, sure, but you, and I, cannot create energy. So, as the technology advances, more efficient methods of Converting

energy for our use will be the challenge.  I will miss the old ways for sentimental reasons, but like the buggy whip makers, will need to adapt to a world with no buggies.

The changes are coming and just like the buggy whip did not dissappear overnight neither will the IC engine, but its coming.

• Owner
9 hours ago, Imaybail said:

I will miss the old ways for sentimental reasons, but like the buggy whip makers, will need to adapt to a world with no buggies.

Maybe you should get out of the city. There are leather crafters out there today making all these wares. Strange though you so these kinds of shops in small towns but never see them in big cities.

9 hours ago, Imaybail said:

Something about aromatic hydrocarbons that wakes up old brain cells for me.

That because today we are blending down fuel and taking out the energy. If you looked at the BTU's of the old school leaded gasoline back then it contained much more BTU's Then unleaded refined more BTU's out. Now we are dumping Ethanol into the fuel in different blends ratios. Again stripping more BTU's out of the fuel. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gasoline_gallon_equivalent

1.5 gallons of ethanol has the same energy content as 1.0 gallon of gasoline.

Right there you need more fuel to produce the same amount of work so actually, we are working backward requiring more fuel to do the same amount of work.

14 hours ago, Dieselfuture said:

I cringe every time my kids get a ride in that pile that my wife's sister got. And she does trust that thing. Once I mentioned something like, "what you really trust that thing" I just got a look back like what you still drive your pos old truck and car. So I don't say anything anymore and leave in hopes of nothing bad happening. Kinda helpless when the whole world wants to move towards AI future and most can't wait. Sad really, there needs to be a line in the sand.

you can choose to not ride in it.  I wouldn't ride in it with a person behind the wheel with that attitude.  It doesn't sound like this has a good grasp on the leathality of a 4000# chuck of metal moving at 30 mph.  

We are always pushing the line forward, which is good, but we need to keep that line in Check.   That's the issue.  Only move the line when it should be moved and not just because it is "cool"  

We are however missing the point of the thread, the point is not self driving it is Electric Power Train and the suitablity in a HD situtation.  

All new technology is overpriced and suspicious in the beginning. The price will come down. Cars were that way until Henry Ford figured it out. When my grand father purchased his first car, he took it and completely took it apart to see what made it run before he let family member ride in it. He just did not trust them. But they will make inroads as the tech develops.

As far as stealing a Tesla, crooks have been doing it to similar entry systems before the Tesla came along. 

again has nothing to do with Tesla, and everything to do with electric powertrain.  

Tesla is not going to be the leader, GM, Ford, Dodge, bmw, benz, Honda, etc etc will be leaders as they have the volume and the structure to produce them efficently. 

Tesla was simple the bee in the shorts making the big 3 look bad.  

1 hour ago, Dieselfuture said:

Wonder what his thoughts would be nowadays

I cant imagine really. But if the acorn did not fall far from the tree my father might give some insight. When seat belts were mandated to be installed in cars my father was pissed. He felt the government was stepping to far into his personal space telling him what he was going to have in his car. Then they made him start wearing them.

Two different issues really. One mistrust of the new technology and two mistrust of the people telling how he was going to use it. Both mistrust of the changes. And it is still alive and well today. I see it here a lot. I mean no disrespect to anyone on this, I am infected with it too. I just want to get to retirement before someone else sicks another electronic device in my hand and expects me to learn how to use it.

17 hours ago, Me78569 said:

again has nothing to do with Tesla, and everything to do with electric powertrain.  

Tesla is not going to be the leader, GM, Ford, Dodge, bmw, benz, Honda, etc etc will be leaders as they have the volume and the structure to produce them efficently. 

Tesla was simple the bee in the shorts making the big 3 look bad.  

I understand what you are saying, it is the technology and its coming. I do believe it will be beneficial and when they perfect it it will be cheap enough to go into the mainstream. 

Tesla is just to easy to use as an example. I cant readmthe news anywhere without them popping up somewhere. I just hope the big auto manufactures dont push Tesla the way of the Tucker.

• Like 2

• Staff

I'm with you Dripley, I like the old ways and a stubborn olfart about it. How do you fix that or this? And how much are they screwin' you by already having a newer verson ready but not available till all old ones sold and don't say a word about it.

Then I found out a lot of these electronic companies charge a lot even though it's garbage guts inside thats mostly all proprietary information.

Edited by JAG1
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • Staff
1 hour ago, Dieselfuture said:

Who is stupid enough to pay that. 

Go outside and look around.  They're out there. 

I was at the Volvo dealer yesterday complaining about the cost of a battery cable: 2/0 about 14" long with a fusible link at one end, $124.  

If the front turn signal led blubs in a new Volvo go bad the complete headlight assembly has to be replaced at over $800.   

• Sad 1