• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

High Fuel Temp

12 minutes ago, Mopar1973Man said:

Fuel pressure sensor does not pick up the temperature. Only pressure readings...

Fuel temperature is measure INSIDE the VP44... The black tone wheel pickup on the right side of the picture is what gets the fuel temperature measurement for the Quadzilla. It's buried inside the VP44.  

DSCF6166.JPG

?Yep you're exactly right idk why I was thinking temp from the pressure sensor.. Must be this Texas heat.  Thanks for the correction. 

You Gained 7 degrees with engine off.  Engine off and coolant, fan stops.  Guess it gets hotter for awhile  before heat dissipates?  

Wonder if there is a way to keep fuel flowing till it cools down.  Sort of like a turbo timer but for fuel?  If so wonder if keeping fuel or coolant flowing would be better.  

That's even if vp44 gets hot enough to melt electronics in vp44.  Wonder what temp soldier starts to melt at?

(Guess I'll start using my transfer tank more by putting it in a kiddie pool in bed of pick up and routing fuel line through it) ??

Edited by 015point9

• Owner
19 minutes ago, 015point9 said:

Wonder if there is a way to keep fuel flowing till it cools down.  Sort of like a turbo timer but for fuel?

Quadzilla turbo timer could be used the same way by setting the EGT shut off limit to 275 or 300*F and the engine continues to run pulling heat off of the engine till it reaches that shutoff point. I've noticed even on hot days it will pull the coolant temperature down to 188 to 192*F even if I pulled in and had 200*F coolant temperature shown it will cool everything down. Being you dumping turbo heat into the oil. Then the oil cooler dumps into the coolant. Then the coolant dumps into the air. Even yesterday I only topped out at 135*F fuel temp in 100*F weather coming home. 

Just getting all the heat off the engine helps a bunch. I rarely see much gain of fuel temperature. 

12 minutes ago, Mopar1973Man said:

Quadzilla turbo timer could be used the same way by setting the EGT shut off limit to 275 or 300*F and the engine continues to run pulling heat off of the engine till it reaches that shutoff point. I've noticed even on hot days it will pull the coolant temperature down to 188 to 192*F even if I pulled in and had 200*F coolant temperature shown it will cool everything down. Being you dumping turbo heat into the oil. Then the oil cooler dumps into the coolant. Then the coolant dumps into the air. Even yesterday I only topped out at 135*F fuel temp in 100*F weather coming home. 

Just getting all the heat off the engine helps a bunch. I rarely see much gain of fuel temperature. 

Now I'm interest in quadzilla.  I was thinking just about an Edge to help on some hills.  With a  turbo timer that makes difference to me.  Or can Edge be set up with a timer?  (I know nothing about adding power, maybe 40 horses )

Just now, IBMobile said:

60/40 tin-lead alloy 370°F

63/37 tin-lead alloy 361°F

More temps than I thought but... Seems like no worries about fuel temps, melting stuff anyways.  Wonder why class 8 trucks have so many fuel coolers, maybe to get more dense fuel or?

6 minutes ago, AH64ID said:

If the fuel is 135° in the VP it's going to be a heck of a lot hotter than that leaving the head to return to the tank.

Almost  makes me change my return line somewhere beside dumping in fuel module

3 minutes ago, SavageTusk said:

Starting to consider clunk's fuel cooler mod. Makes sense

Not sold on me yet but could be.  

What temps does bad things start to happen. All these temps could be within normal operating ranges.  

• Owner
7 minutes ago, 015point9 said:

What temps does bad things start to happen.

Let's put it this way it's so rare to trip a P0168 code that I can only find a few posts on CF of people getting past 160*F. I think there is only one post here long ago that someone tripped a P0168 code.

9 minutes ago, 015point9 said:

Now I'm interest in quadzilla.  I was thinking just about an Edge to help on some hills.

Quadzilla is much more of a tuner than Edge Juice. Both have the cooldown timer but Quadzilla can be either time based or EGT based where Juice is strictly EGT based. Then Edge Juice is canned tunes you can't modify the tunes at all. Take it or leave it tuner. Quadzilla can be programmed for many types of road conditions, performance, etc. 

The solder topic went around years ago on how they dropped the lead from the solder and it was making bad solder joints. To this day I think that was an isolated problem that I've never seen again.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Dieselfuture said:

Idk how you guys do it in Texas or Florida for that matter, it's hot enough here in Iowa. I want to move North some day.

Heat sucks, but subfreezing weather sucks more. Just my preference  any way.

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, IBMobile said:

Boling point of diesel is 309.749°F or 154.305°C. This boiling point will change with temperature and altitude (air pressure). 

I'm beginning to think what I thought might be a problem temps are within normal specs.  

17 hours ago, Mopar1973Man said:

Let's put it this way it's so rare to trip a P0168 code that I can only find a few posts on CF of people getting past 160*F. I think there is only one post here long ago that someone tripped a P0168 code.

The solder topic went around years ago on how they dropped the lead from the solder and it was making bad solder joints. To this day I think that was an isolated problem that I've never seen again.

Point well taken about the rarity of the code.  But knowing that Asphaltenes starts before 160*F is reason enough to wonder if the crud people have regularly seen in their tank is something worth pondering.  Especially since ULSD is proven far more prone to this problem too.  But that said, I understand that fuel conditioners fight against Asphaltene too so maybe thats all anyone needs...

As for the solder...  It would sure be nice if there was something available from Bosch regarding this issue and how it was dealt with.

image.png.30b05381cf91ee49c224648b58b68a9a.png

• Like 1

• Owner

That's excessive wide cycle... -67*F to 253*F that is way beyond what our VP44 really sees for the majority of Dodge Cummins owners. Like myself, I started this morning at 48*F and by the time I reached Ontario, OR it was 125*F in fuel temp. This is summer time. Typically my fuel temp follows closely to my IAT temp within 5 degrees.

• Like 1

I did a temp test with an IR gun to maybe see if the starter blanket helps with VP44 cooling. It was a 81 deg day.

Engine running at operating temp:  VP44 - 95 deg. Engine block - behind VP44 - 150 deg.

Engine off after 20 min cool down with hood open: VP44 - 128 deg. Engine block - 134 deg.

It doesn't look like the blanket helps much with heat soak on shut down.

A

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, greed said:

I did a temp test with an IR gun to maybe see if the starter blanket helps with VP44 cooling. It was a 81 deg day.

Engine running at operating temp:  VP44 - 95 deg. Engine block - behind VP44 - 150 deg.

Engine off after 20 min cool down with hood open: VP44 - 128 deg. Engine block - 134 deg.

It doesn't look like the blanket helps much with heat soak on shut down.

A

I was a good try but I honestly dont think this would work. :thumb1:

• Staff
On 7/21/2018 at 12:01 PM, KATOOM said:

But knowing that Asphaltenes starts before 160*F is reason enough to wonder if the crud people have regularly seen in their tank is something worth pondering.  Especially since ULSD is proven far more prone to this problem too.  But that said, I understand that fuel conditioners fight against Asphaltene too so maybe thats all anyone needs...

I'll be honest, I don't think it's anything to worry about. Regardless of how much you cool your fuel it will likely get above 160° in the head, so Asphaltenes can start to drop out into the tank. Luckily that's on the return line and they will get caught by the filter. 

Nearly all diesel fuel in the tank will get above 140° at some point before it's burned. If it was a big issue filters wouldn't last as long as they do and the bottom of all tanks would be full of crud. 

I would guess the 160° code in the VP is for the electronics and not the fuel... but that's my 0.02. 

• Like 2