• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Quadzilla or lift pump first?

I have looked in the forms and searched however I cant find the direct answer to this question. I dont have any gauges on my truck at this time (fuel pressure, trans temp ect..) I am looking to get the quadzilla iquad bt so I can have gauges and a mpg tune. I have a stock truck expect a bhaf and 4 inch exhaust. I am not going to race or pull crazy weights. I just want a good clean running, efficient truck.  Should I get the quadzilla first or fuel pump??  Thanks for any advice.  

14 minutes ago, CUMMINSDIESELPWR said:

look into fuel boss mechanical pump. wont fail like electrics and the psi increases with rpm of engine. same price less headaches.

That would be my next choice whenever my fass fails, but according to fass I should have it till I retire as much as I drive the truck. 

On 8/15/2018 at 9:47 AM, Mopar1973Man said:

Like myself, I'm the odd duck here with an AirDog 150 went 13 years on the first pump and just replaced the pump head for the first time and still going running towards 300k miles on the AirDog 150 and got 353k miles on the truck.

On 8/15/2018 at 9:57 AM, dripley said:

I did not have the lucky Mike did with my AD 165. The first pump motor went at 7 years and 175k miles but nothing lasts forever and AD warrantied the pump no questions asked. Ala in all I am still happy with it.

thats cool they warrantied them, but still left you both down for a period of time till replacement arrived.  got to admit if the fuel boss fails its gonna be the belt which is $15 and 10 miuntes to change on the roadside. if it fails otherwise there are serious issues.

• Owner

12 years mean time between failures isn't bad either. Most likely longer period of time for the AirDog between failures than on Fuel Boss. I don't think a belt will last that long for 250k miles and 12 years. My downtime was about 4 days. No worse than the down for other failures and ordering part like injectors or injection pump. So when I lost my VP44 after 243k miles it still was down 7 days waiting for parts and get it back on the road. Like injectors still got to wait for new injectors to get here still 3-4 day wait time. So down time to me is meaningless. It will happen.

Edited by Mopar1973Man
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Mopar1973Man said:

Like injectors still got to wait for new injectors to get here still 3-4 day wait time. So down time to me is meaningless. It will happen.

Are you getting 7x10, I just drove my truck today after all the valve train stuff and a set of 7x10 vco set at 320, man I love it. Responsive, not much more smoke on my same dd tune and it goes now like it's wireing tapped but I'm on level 3. Egts seem to be down and engine load too, I know it's because of duration but still. I only put few miles on but so far I love it.

On 8/18/2018 at 12:46 PM, dripley said:

The down time sucked but could happen to either i would think, though belt failure woild be simple to fix providing you have a spare.

i have two in the bed box lol

the belt itself is loose on the pulleys so wear is minimal (very little stretch) it would take foreign object breaking it to fail otherwise

On 8/18/2018 at 12:43 PM, Mopar1973Man said:

12 years mean time between failures isn't bad either. Most likely longer period of time for the AirDog between failures than on Fuel Boss. I don't think a belt will last that long for 250k miles and 12 years. My downtime was about 4 days. No worse than the down for other failures and ordering part like injectors or injection pump. So when I lost my VP44 after 243k miles it still was down 7 days waiting for parts and get it back on the road. Like injectors still got to wait for new injectors to get here still 3-4 day wait time. So down time to me is meaningless. It will happen.

If my Fuel Boss ever fails for any reason (belt, pump failure, etc) my factory lift pump takes over and I get a warning light and I'm never left on the side of the road.

I didn't install a backup because I had the in-tank retrofit, which was replaced with a Draw Straw 5, and I can't put a stock on-block pump back on for a couple reasons, and I have too much plumbing as it is.  But belt replacement is 10 minutes tops with a 15mm wrench... So I'm not worried about not having a backup.  Plus, the lugs on the belt itself are WAY over sized for the application.  I'm not worried about anything getting to it, and I've had it on plenty of forestry roads with no issue.

Edited by trreed