• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Height Sensing Proportioning Valve TSB 05-04-98

There is a Tech Service Bulletin

TBS 05-04-98 easily found once I saw a forum about it and wanted to share it here. http://dodgeram. info/tsb/1998/05-04-98.htm

Essentially it proportions the fluid pressure based on height/ load. Not the perfect scenario.

So the Rod was Rotted off this valve when I got the Truck. Here is the info I found and I am going to Eliminate it because I wil not load anything extreme or do any road racing.....

Here are the important snipits from the TBS

979C31A0-2681-4BAE-A1BD-C7852DF9BEAE.png

65B715D2-F562-4B22-8472-4DC68D3F792A.png

387644B0-CCDF-4541-8B9C-C6B315822B06.png

I hope this corrects the link there was a space in the address

http://dodgeram.info/tsb/1998/05-04-98.htm

• Like 1

Before anyone goes through the trouble... I suggest disconnecting the rod and tie it up where the valve would be in the most open position.  Then test and see if there's any more braking power than before.  Because I've heard from others over the years that it didnt do anything. :thumb1:

• Like 1

My 01 came with this height proportion valve, I disconnected it several years ago and the difference was like night and day, for the first 200,000 miles my rear drums were barely wore. I did not do the hose mod, the rod is diconected from the shock and valve in the full open position. It really made my drum brakes come alive.

im not sure if I got rear anti lock or not, now I can lock them up on a fast hard brake stab

On 9/29/2018 at 12:07 AM, 01cummins4ever said:

My 01 came with this height proportion valve, I disconnected it several years ago and the difference was like night and day, for the first 200,000 miles my rear drums were barely wore. I did not do the hose mod, the rod is diconected from the shock and valve in the full open position. It really made my drum brakes come alive.

im not sure if I got rear anti lock or not, now I can lock them up on a fast hard brake stab

which way is full open?  currently i have mine ziptied level to the frame

• Staff

I'm old so skull has gotten thick....... I've seen this under at least one of my trucks 2001 and 2002. Can someone tell me  we are simply to eliminate the valve and run a new brake line in its place? Is that correct?

Thank you

Edited by JAG1

I disconnected rod at the shock absorber, then lifted rod to where the actuater lever and rod is at the 12:00 position, 

56 minutes ago, CUMMINSDIESELPWR said:

which way is full open?  currently i have mine ziptied level to the frame

If it’s level with frame, wouldn’t that make it in the same position as no weight applied ? 

28 minutes ago, JAG1 said:

I'm old so skull has gotten thick....... I've seen this under at least one of my trucks 2001 and 2002. Can someone tell me  we are simply to eliminate the valve and run a new brake line in its place? Is that correct?

Thank you

Yes, thats correct.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/11/2018 at 3:36 PM, rotohead said:

There is a seller on ebay that has braided replacement line in different lengths that clips in on one end and threads on the other.

Any link to those?  I wouldn’t mind taking my valve completely off and fixing it right but dodge wants almost 280.00 bucks for thier part. Meantime just living with the zip tie fix, 

2 hours ago, 01cummins4ever said:

Any link to those?  I wouldn’t mind taking my valve completely off and fixing it right but dodge wants almost 280.00 bucks for thier part. Meantime just living with the zip tie fix, 

I'll be back from fishing on Monday and have the vendor box in my garage. I'll post the source as soon as I can. I think it's worth the money as the valve is more restrictive even when ty wraped open. I took mine apart and it was small passages and corroded.

12 hours ago, 01cummins4ever said:

After a couple beers last night I remembered the name of the vendor. Here ya go. I'd buy the longer line just to make sure when the axle is hanging from the frame on a lift you aren't pulling on the line or maybe you have a lift.

https://www.circletracksupply.com/egr-brakes-rear-proportioning-valve-eliminator-hose-98-99-dodge-2500.html

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hey everyone,

Thanks and great conversations. My truck “Has ABS” I am still learning all about this, but I can say with this manual height sensing proportional valve all it can do is restrict. With only one line supply it would be impossible for ABS independently on the rear.

my logical opinion. 

Tom

2 hours ago, TJ1997Cummins2500 said:

Hey everyone,

Thanks and great conversations. My truck “Has ABS” I am still learning all about this, but I can say with this manual height sensing proportional valve all it can do is restrict. With only one line supply it would be impossible for ABS independently on the rear.

my logical opinion. 

Tom

There is only one speed sensor for the rear in the diff. Thats all the ABS computer can control.