• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

What makes 24 valves sound different from each other?

I know after I tore mine apart again to change valve seals for the second time :shifty: I also readjusted my valves from 8:18 to 10:20 now it seems like when my truck is warming up I have a dead spot, almost like power disappears for a split second then comes back when taking off, but when it warms up everything is fine. Not sure if it has anything to do with valve adjustment or the way injectors went back in, all I know it's a little noisier with larger valve lash.

• Like 1

• Owner
11 hours ago, trreed said:

Listening to it warm, I definitely have a valve that’s too loose.

I've got that problem too. Start hearing that tinny tapping of the pushrod / rocker assembly. I'm hoping to get time today and get then adjusted again since the head gasket job.

10 hours ago, trreed said:

The other was valves that were too tight.

Yeap. Tight valves will cause it to lope on hot idle when you release the throttle.  

when i rebuilt mine, i  can hear subtle differences in pulse and tones...   

On 10/17/2018 at 8:48 PM, Marcus2000monster said:

Hey guys here is the video of the 2001 at the shop. I had just installed a fresh thermostat. I just noticed that the oil pressure gauge goes up to normal with key on engine off.

i swear you just started mine up, sounds exactly the same hahaha

• Owner
On 10/13/2018 at 11:22 AM, Marcus2000monster said:

The only difference I can think of is HO vs SO?

The only thing that is different... HO is 17.0:1 compression and the SO is 16.3:1 compression. Then the HO pump is higher pressure and less volume where the SO pump is high volume and less pressure. Injector wise I think the 235 and 245 injectors are 0.0001 of a difference of hole size. Other than that, it's the same engine...

15 minutes ago, Mopar1973Man said:

The only thing that is different... HO is 17.0:1 compression and the SO is 16.3:1 compression. Then the HO pump is higher pressure and less volume where the SO pump is high volume and less pressure. Injector wise I think the 235 and 245 injectors are 0.0001 of a difference of hole size. Other than that, it's the same engine...

But wouldn’t those compression ratios cuase a difference in sound or am I dreaming? 

1 hour ago, 015point9 said:

Please explain BHAF muffler.

Sorry for the confusion.  In a different post I had shown some photos of a silencer that I made for the inside of a BHAF.  Dripley named it a BHAF muffler. 

I noticed in your video that I could hear the throaty sound of the intake part of the engine.  The silencer that I made makes that sound go away - for me quieter is better..

I think the shortcut below will get you there.

- John

Edited by Tractorman
content

20 minutes ago, Tractorman said:

Dripley named it a BHAF muffler.

I get credit for something that does not involve chicken. It is a gold star day. You have to admit it looks like the inards of muffler. I am probably going to give it a try when I swap out the air filter. There is a lot intake noise that comes thru the BHAF.

1 hour ago, dripley said:

I am probably going to give it a try when I swap out the air filter. There is a lot intake noise that comes thru the BHAF.

Mine is actually quieter than the factory air filter and box.  If you end up doing the project, let us know what you think after you are done.  Be sure to get an airtight seal between the parts.  I think you will like the end results.

Please resist the urge to glue feathers on the ribbed pipe - it won't make it any quieter and it might dust the turbo, you know, like a feather duster?

- John

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, Tractorman said:

Sorry for the confusion.  In a different post I had shown some photos of a silencer that I made for the inside of a BHAF.  Dripley named it a BHAF muffler. 

I noticed in your video that I could hear the throaty sound of the intake part of the engine.  The silencer that I made makes that sound go away - for me quieter is better..

I think the shortcut below will get you there.

- John

@Tractorman Would you be interested in making an article on your BHAF muffler? 

• Owner
13 hours ago, Marcus2000monster said:

But wouldn’t those compression ratios cuase a difference in sound or am I dreaming? 

Might be dreaming. Like 6BT engines are in the range of 17.5:1 and CR is 17.3:1 compression. Yeah the VP44 SO engines have the lowest compression in all the series. I think a big part of it is the timing. Stock ECM will retard when the IAT rises above 80*F. This makes the engine quieter. So a cold start will be audibly louder because timing is racked up to 21* on a cold start. Then high cetane fuels make this worse being we are already be blended with high cetane fuels. This is why 2 cycle oil typically reduces engine sound considerably because of the oils natural cetane reducer and member have measured a considerable drop of engine noise volume.

Comes back to ASTM testing labs comment...

The ASTM Standard Specification for Diesel Fuel Oils (D-975) states, "The cetane number requirements depend on engine design, size, nature of speed and load variations, and on starting and atmospheric conditions. Increase in cetane number over values actually required does not materially improve engine performance. Accordingly, the cetane number specified should be as low as possible to ensure maximum fuel availability."

• Thanks 1

On ‎10‎/‎20‎/‎2018 at 5:39 PM, Collinst15 said:

John,

Truck has a 4in diamond eye exhaust with muffler.  It's just loud, but I like it that way.

I agree, I don't even know if my stereo works, I listen to my engine, if it burps I know it. I would not silence my intake, I want to hear that turbo spool. I think you guys just have too many valves:)https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hy8NaAjxP34

• Like 2

On 10/15/2018 at 8:35 PM, Marcus2000monster said:

So would it be a good idea to set my 75s to 320 bar being I don’t need hve any tuning? What is the normal pop off pressure for new 75s?

This is quite experimental. I will say that I have stalling issues with my auto currently, however I'm in the process of trying to determine if it is the injectors, or an issue with the transmission. There is a noticeable difference overall in the truck in both noise and performance. I'm also in the process writing up a thread about this.

Now as @Mopar1973Man stated my injectors were currently popping off between 280 and 286 bar. All were set to 322 bar.  Now 280 bar is 4,061psi and I re popped them 322@4,670psi. That is a huge difference in pressure. And that difference means that not only are you delaying the open your shortening the duration as well. Were unsure of the loss in flow rate for an injector so I know i have 100hp injectors at 300bar(the stock pressure when i got them about 34,000 miles ago)

Raising your pop will offset your mechanical timing, the engine will still pop off based on what the ECM and the VP thinks, however the offset is hidden from the computer.  What i don't know and have yet to get any answers is what is the timing offset by raising the pop pressure. 

Now the common consensus is that each 10 bar is roughly a 1 degree change of timing.

On 10/15/2018 at 8:51 PM, 2000Ram2500 said:

While im thinking about it, before i forget.. like @Marcus2000monster is getting at with the computer compensating for more fuel with more timing and @Mopar1973Man saying it doesnt.. we dont have the sensors in our trucks to really read that and react accordingly i dont believe.

but what if someone were to go with bigger injectors and some hard timing? is that a feasible option? or is that something more reserved for the big power guys.

are you asking me for a video? @Marcus2000monster if so i will openly admit all ive really got done is intake exhaust and my edge. It does have a Fass but it doesnt have a filter and i have no idea what size it is. Ive been neglecting to do my valve adjustment and i think im beginning to hear a slight tick. And i dont run any fuel additives at all right now never have. although im considering the 2 stroke just because its so easy to get ahold of.

Unless you have a programmer to change it yourself the ECM will command and pull timing based on the tables in the ECM. changing your injectors is a mechanical change, and the ECM won't know of it.

• Like 3