• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Extended crank to start

57 minutes ago, Marcus2000monster said:

@IBMobile Ahem. 

I now understand switch operation be done in the following sequence? Key on, start truck, switch to 6 cyl, let warm up, switch back to mpg, drive truck, shut off, switch off. This is the way our discussion has led me to believe it should be operated is this correct? Now I remember that Mike recommends switching to your desired selection before starting truck. Does this mean you should cycle grids then make your selection and then start?

I select whatever setting I’m going to use before I start ifnim going to use 6 or 3 cylinder modes. If I’m going to use mpg and truck is cold (like sat overnight cold) I start with the switch off then select mpg as I get driving. I then leave it in MPG the rest of the day.

1 hour ago, Marcus2000monster said:

@IBMobile Ahem. 

I now understand switch operation be done in the following sequence? Key on, start truck, switch to 6 cyl, let warm up, switch back to mpg, drive truck, shut off, switch off. This is the way our discussion has led me to believe it should be operated is this correct? Now I remember that Mike recommends switching to your desired selection before starting truck. Does this mean you should cycle grids then make your selection and then start? 

Three words. TELL US HOW! :sofa:

It's been covered before. Here is the thread. You can see what I and some others did. Simple and effective as can be. I have no idea what IBM is up to. Got tired of waiting.

8 hours ago, notlimah said:

I select whatever setting I’m going to use before I start ifnim going to use 6 or 3 cylinder modes. If I’m going to use mpg and truck is cold (like sat overnight cold) I start with the switch off then select mpg as I get driving. I then leave it in MPG the rest of the day.

Yep Iv gotnit now. Reason it was intermittent is becuase most starts lately I have been high idling and selecting 6 cyl. On these few occasions it started hard It was in mpg mode. 

• Haha 1

Just now, Mopar1973Man said:

MPG mode with prevent pre-heat of the grid heaters at key on.

Im glad this little issue isnt digging into the pocketbook such as the new alt and new injectors soon. And as far as the topic of this thread the new batterys and deep clean of the cables and wiring seems to have solved my issue...

• Owner
5 minutes ago, Marcus2000monster said:

And as far as the topic of this thread the new batterys and deep clean of the cables and wiring seems to have solved my issue...

Just remember to keep the cable end covered in engine oil they will never rot again. Period.

Heck in 2022 my cable will be 20 years old and still going like brand new. 

Edited by Mopar1973Man
  • Haha 1

On 12/6/2018 at 8:29 PM, Royal Squire said:

The slow crank can appear so gradually that you may not realize how slow it really is until you repair the starter. 

It took me hearing another truck start right next to mine to realize it was cranking slow. Replaced the starter..whoa lol

1 hour ago, Jake said:

It took me hearing another truck start right next to mine to realize it was cranking slow. Replaced the starter..whoa lol

Lol it happens slow that’s why. When I get to that point I have heard of a guy that sells start rebuild kits by the name of Larry B. Supposedly his replacement parts will spin your starter faster...

On 12/13/2018 at 7:43 AM, Marcus2000monster said:

Im glad this little issue isnt digging into the pocketbook such as the new alt and new injectors soon. And as far as the topic of this thread the new batterys and deep clean of the cables and wiring seems to have solved my issue...

Anybody ever buy just nozzles and reuse old core for injectors, have a local diesel shop set them up?

Just now, Marcus2000monster said:

I would just buy all new they’re pretty cheap. I’m about to pull the trigger on new RV275s for 379$. That is not including core but I have cores to send. 

Just wondered, I cleaned all my old Injectors thinking I might save money buying nozzle's like 50hp or what not, ended up buying new RV275's Bosch from local diesel shop, no cores needed. guess I just wasted my time cleaning old cores.

1 hour ago, Blueox01 said:

Just wondered, I cleaned all my old Injectors thinking I might save money buying nozzle's like 50hp or what not, ended up buying new RV275's Bosch from local diesel shop, no cores needed. guess I just wasted my time cleaning old cores.

Ideally I would love to have my own pop testing jig. That way you can buy nozzles and set your pop pressure to whatever you desire and then later on recheck your Pop pressure and see how much it settled. Make adjustments yourself without sending it out to anyone. 

I haven't even looked to see how much these things cost, I can't imagine it would be that expensive to make your own. 

Yeah cleaning injectors is a waste of time for the most part, if they need to be cleaned chances are the pop pressure is all gone, so it's pointless cleaning them because they will not run good anyway. And when you sent them in as a core, they go through ultrasonic wash anyway. 

I'd say keep your original ones and one day you may use them as a core for a bigger set. I like my 150hp with v2 tuning. 

12 minutes ago, Dieselfuture said:

Ideally I would love to have my own pop testing jig. That way you can buy nozzles and set your pop pressure to whatever you desire and then later on recheck your Pop pressure and see how much it settled. Make adjustments yourself without sending it out to anyone. 

I haven't even looked to see how much these things cost, I can't imagine it would be that expensive to make your own. 

Yeah cleaning injectors is a waste of time for the most part, if they need to be cleaned chances are the pop pressure is all gone, so it's pointless cleaning them because they will not run good anyway. And when you sent them in as a core, they go through ultrasonic wash anyway. 

I'd say keep your original ones and one day you may use them as a core for a bigger set. I like my 150hp with v2 tuning. 

So what kind of HP you think your engine produces? Sorry I'm not up on all the stuff that can be done to these, like v2 tuning, that a Quadzilla? Sorry I seem ignorant.

Edited by Blueox01