• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

How well does your truck pull 8,000 pounds

8 minutes ago, KATOOM said:

2000Ram2500, thats HOT and doesnt sound right for only pulling 10k...  As I mentioned above, my house size triple axle toy hauler I drag around is heavy and big and I've towed it in 111* summer heat with the AC on full blast while pulling some long hills.  Your transmission is either heating the engine up or your radiator is partially clogged or your clutch fan isnt working as good as it should...or a combination of all three.

Honestly its probably all of the above. I know the radiator is packed full of junk from the crank breather. Im sure the fan clutch is original. The water pump is starting to seep a tiny bit. Coolant is old pond water and needs to be replaced. The bigger tires and highway gears is killing me too. I know the trans cooler needs to be upgraded too. Sitting in a drivethru on a hot summer day i have to keep it out of drive or the trans will get too hot. I can start at the menu board and after 10 minutes of waiting to get food the trans temp will go from 160 to 210 but its also got no air flow at that point either but you would imagine with it under no real load that the fan would pull enough air to keep it from burning up in a drive thru. 

16 minutes ago, 2000Ram2500 said:

Honestly its probably all of the above. I know the radiator is packed full of junk from the crank breather. Im sure the fan clutch is original. The water pump is starting to seep a tiny bit. Coolant is old pond water and needs to be replaced. The bigger tires and highway gears is killing me too. I know the trans cooler needs to be upgraded too. Sitting in a drivethru on a hot summer day i have to keep it out of drive or the trans will get too hot. I can start at the menu board and after 10 minutes of waiting to get food the trans temp will go from 160 to 210 but its also got no air flow at that point either but you would imagine with it under no real load that the fan would pull enough air to keep it from burning up in a drive thru. 

That's not normal. My truck has a very tight converter, I can go from 150 to 230 in Drive at a light. Put it in neural and she barely creeps. 

When you build your trans did you replace your converter? I'm wondering if your converter wasn't in lock up and was slipping to much. 

44 minutes ago, pepsi71ocean said:

That's not normal. My truck has a very tight converter, I can go from 150 to 230 in Drive at a light. Put it in neural and she barely creeps. 

When you build your trans did you replace your converter? I'm wondering if your converter wasn't in lock up and was slipping to much. 

It was completely rebuilt by a friend at his transmission shop. Billet triple disc converter. Almost everything internal is new. Thats actually was caused the transmission to go out was the torque converter welding itself together. 

• Owner

Not normal. I run typically a high coolant temp of 220F going all out hauling my 8k pound Jayco. Normal conservative driving I bare break over 212F for coolant and about 170F transmission temp in summer heat.

Pyro I've got enough fuel to tag 1,400F but conservative and using Quadzilla on Level 3 I struggle to get to 1,200F.

• Staff
On ‎12‎/‎24‎/‎2018 at 11:49 AM, KATOOM said:

I run an EZ and RV275's.  A "mild" combo compared to what others run but tows like a powerhouse.

I also have the EZ and the RV275's but with a 4:10 and 245/75-16 with a 47RE.  My 5th wheel trailer is 8k and some times I put about another 600 pounds behind that with a 14' boat, motor, gear and trailer.

IMG_3952.JPG.c011488e632bb0f5b389d57f54e4bec1.JPG

I tow all over: from the flats of Des Moines, IA to Jasper in the Canadian Rockies.  On the flats overdrive is on and locked up with cruise control set at 65mph.  When going up a long 6% grade I down shift to 3ed, the torque convertor locked up with my 'mystery switch' and the cruise control set to 55mph. I still have peddle left to go faster but why push it and abuse what's going to get me there and back.  The fan clutch an a clean air flow over the radiator keeps any overheating problem at bay.

This is what my gauges look like after going up a 6% grad after a couple miles and still going up.  The exhaust is at 850°F,  fluid temp exiting transmission is160°F, fuel pressure at 20psi and the boost is 20psi.  The green LED light tells me the convertor is locked with the 'mystery switch'.

IMG_3911.JPG.a2b72a5b0e02a5e6cb8c9aa81a0863db.JPG

• Like 4

54 minutes ago, 015point9 said:

IBMOBLE... The fan clutch an a clean air flow over the radiator keeps any overheating problem at bay.

your fan...what is "clean air flow" fan

thanks

He means this: "The fan clutch AND a clean air flow over the radiator". 

IBMoble, what were the ambient temps and is your pyro post turbo?

• Thanks 1

On 12/24/2018 at 1:49 PM, KATOOM said:

I run an EZ and RV275's.  A "mild" combo compared to what others run but tows like a powerhouse.  But you cant add power to your automatic transmission without doing something to help it too...or replace it with a built unit.  All depends on how much power you end up adding and what you're towing. :thumb1:

I run the same combo with one exception I have the ECM programmed, I know some one is going to tell me that won't work right but had no problems with the set up. I think I ran this way 250k before #6 got a hole burned through, but that was a bad injector.

• Staff

The gauge is good.  I've seen it go over1200° with the trans locked in overdrive and my foot to the floor.  With the transmission locked in 3ed and 55mph the exhaust temp will fluctuate with the varying grade of the road, which we have all experienced but will stay under 1000°. . The road grade that picture of the gauges was taken on was south bound US 395 between Bodie RD and Virginia Lakes RD on October 9, 2018.

17 hours ago, IBMobile said:

I also have the EZ and the RV275's but with a 4:10 and 245/75-16 with a 47RE.  My 5th wheel trailer is 8k and some times I put about another 600 pounds behind that with a 14' boat, motor, gear and trailer.

I tow all over: from the flats of Des Moines, IA to Jasper in the Canadian Rockies.  On the flats overdrive is on and locked up with cruise control set at 65mph.  When going up a long 6% grade I down shift to 3ed, the torque convertor locked up with my 'mystery switch' and the cruise control set to 55mph. I still have peddle left to go faster but why push it and abuse what's going to get me there and back.  The fan clutch an a clean air flow over the radiator keeps any overheating problem at bay.

This is what my gauges look like after going up a 6% grad after a couple miles and still going up.  The exhaust is at 850°F,  fluid temp exiting transmission is160°F, fuel pressure at 20psi and the boost is 20psi.  The green LED light tells me the convertor is locked with the 'mystery switch'.

So can I ask what you did to get that green light to work? What wires do I have to tap into for that?

On 12/29/2018 at 8:02 PM, IBMobile said:

What are your rpms at with this setup?  Say at 55, 60, 65?

On 12/29/2018 at 8:02 PM, IBMobile said:

What are your rpms at with this setup?  Say at 55, 60, 65?

13 hours ago, IBMobile said:

Do you have a DTT Smart Controler or an ATS transmission controller?  If not then this should work in conjunction with the Pac brake.  They work by grounding the orange/black wire at B11 of the PCM which commands torque convertor lock up.

I have a DTT voltage regulator that changes the Governor pressure voltage. However the Pacbrake controller does have me cut and splice into that orange/Black wire on C2 connector. The brown wire from the Pacbarake controller runs to the PCM, the Orange goes back to the transmission side on the orange/Black.

I'm assuming this controls lock up.