• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Blue-Top vs Redhead steering gear

• Owner

NO ATF! 

Power Steering only.

ATF is used in 2003 and up. This is because the Sagnaw boxes where replaced with Ford Steering boxes. So 2003 and up all use ATF for 2003 and up Dodge and Ram Cummins trucks with Ford Steering boxes. 

1989 to 2002 is ALL Power Steering Fluid. NO ATF!!!  These are all Sagnaw Steering boxes and require Power Steering fluid. 

Edited by Mopar1973Man
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, Mopar1973Man said:

Tires are they properly inflated? I know larger tires don't help the return process.

Any alignment issues? Pulling to one side? Tires not wearing even?

I do need to check alignment but it steers nearly perfect now. Tires wearing even. I did notice when I rotated my tires that I started to feel a slight vibration. 

2 hours ago, Marcus2000monster said:

I do need to check alignment but it steers nearly perfect now. Tires wearing even. I did notice when I rotated my tires that I started to feel a slight vibration. 

Are you still running the stock 2nd gen wheels?  I noticed when I had mine I would get a random vibration at higher speeds from one of them.  Rotate the tires and it was gone until I rotated them back.  I had them all rebalanced and everything was good.  I haven't had any issues since I got rid of them. 

4 minutes ago, Sycostang67 said:

Are you still running the stock 2nd gen wheels?  I noticed when I had mine I would get a random vibration at higher speeds from one of them.  Rotate the tires and it was gone until I rotated them back.  I had them all rebalanced and everything was good.  I haven't had any issues since I got rid of them. 

Check out my signature. 

7 hours ago, Marcus2000monster said:

I believe some of my slop has came back already. Will my warranty be voided if I mess with the adjuster on top? 

I would say yes, it is probably marked with paint. Make sure where the slack is. Grab the steering wheel shaft at the box and turn it by hand, watching where the slack is. Do it with the engine off. Make sure there is no slack in the steering shaft couplers (u-joints)

3 hours ago, NIsaacs said:

I would say yes, it is probably marked with paint. Make sure where the slack is. Grab the steering wheel shaft at the box and turn it by hand, watching where the slack is. Do it with the engine off. Make sure there is no slack in the steering shaft couplers (u-joints)

We call that a dry park. Everything else has is tight. 

• 2 months later...

About to pull the trigger on a new steering box, pump, hoses! From the comments, blue top is the way to go I assume. Already have the borgson shaft so hopefully I'll have some super tight steering! Also going to re seal vacuum pump while I'm there. Best place for vacuum pump stuff? I'll just Google blue top and go to there main page? 

Edit, I went to blue tops site and didn't see any option for 2nd gen steering gears??

Edited by Stanley