• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Spare tire bumper mounted carrier

Been thinking about this idea ever since I made my rear bumper. My spare tire has always been in the bed, it can't fit in original spot because of 5" exhaust and the tire holder rotted away long ago. 

So I've been studying up on this idea and looking at different setups. Comp4x4 sells heavy duty hinge kit but currently closed due to moving. I thought about using bushing stock also but not set on that yet, then there is the trailer hub/spindle idea. Just wanted to see opinions, good, bad.... not only on what to use but the whole idea in general  :stirthepot:

Edit 

Some ideas

https://www.google.com/search?q=bumper+tire+carrier&client=ms-android-verizon&prmd=sivn&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwivrNTD9aXgAhUPKawKHYgpAGAQ_AUoAnoECA0QAg&biw=360&bih=560

Edited by JAG1
  • Like 1

I have a 4" exhaust and it is a bit closer to the spare under the bed. I checked a few time after the exhaust and it was never as warm as the 4 tires on truck so I quit worrying about my self. The winch did fail about a year ago and I replaced it with a new one. I guess I am just happy with it hanging where it is.

• Like 1

Even if I could put it back under, I don't think I want to. I kinda like the look of tire on back bumper on swing arm. If I haul something where I need tail gate open, tire swing will just stay open, so it will stick out maybe a foot on passenger side. I hope I won't need a wide load sign for that, and it would be a rear ocasion. 

I think it looks great on jeeps, truck type SUV's, and trucks with camper tops.  Seeing it behind an uncovered truck bed is a new look for me but I like your idea.  My vote would be to do it...and of course share it all with us.  Trailer hub and your choice of round or square rod with some clever design is probably how I would do it too. 

I haven't even carried a spare tire in the last 15 years...luckily no flats.  But I would probably break out the welder and copy your idea if it works out well for you...and spare up myself. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Bullet said:

Trailer hub and your choice of round or square rod with some clever design is probably how I would do it too. 

I'm just not sure how tough trailer hub is compared to a machined piece of dom tube. I've seen few videos on YouTube where people used trailer hubs. Some of them trailer hubs look like they are casted and some of them look like they are machined. I suppose the machined ones could be casted also just cleaned up. 

I'm with you, I think I'll look just fine behind the tailgate even without the topper of camper shell. Depends on the design but I might even throw a jack and the gas can on it too. 

Luckily I haven't needed a spare tire either, but you just never know. On several occasions I did need some air and a tire patch kit, that's why I put on board air and carry a patch kit now. 

• Staff

If the exhaust is in the way by only a 1/2 inch, can't you dent the pipe a little bit?

I try to keep the winch lubed but still have a short piece of chain hanging on frame either side of the tire. I hook them together across the spare using a small chain binder for the day that winch goes bad and won't be lost.. Might be somewhat of an idea anyway if it allows you to move the spare an inch or so.

My spare is offset on the carrier to fit the exhaust there.  It is still a tight fit, especially after the exhaust settled in place.  

You definitely could dent the pipe to get things to fit.  It wouldn't cause any issues.

If I really wanted to fit it back under there I probably could, need new cable lift with all accessories, I threw it all out. Then I'll need to move my air compressor, it's mounted under where tire was. So I'd rather concentrate on the swing arm and best design for it at this point. Plus my spear has aluminum rim full size like the truck, it'll look good I think. It's that or leave it alone in the box.

4 hours ago, dave110 said:

Mount it to the front bumper like the old Ford Camper Specials. It'll double as a winter cold front and the deer will just bounce off.

Ideas..... I'm full of em :lol:

I thought of that, but want to try it in the rear first. It wouldn't take much to put it on the front, I got the hoop welded on front bumper, just wrap some chain around it and put a lock on it :lmao:

• Staff

I thought they always looked okay sitting in the bed  standing straight up and bolted to the inside of the bed side. Logical place is not the drivers side like the old days, but the passenger side being its a bit safer standing on that side.

• Like 1

i had one, it worked great and could be flipped to sit in the bed or out of the bed.  only thing is it lengthened the truck and you have to run a catch net in front of it if carrying small things (no tailgate)

this is with my 35" super swampers

DSC00393.JPG

here is one with it flipped out and doubled as a cooktop

DSC00644.JPG

• Like 3

image.png.292d155cb87be47f8e09807e94480192.pngImage result for spare tire in truck bed

I like the old school mount kinda, the recessed one is an awesome idea! 

my second choice and is what im gonna build is a gooseneck ball mounted carrier...!!!

Like this but mounted on the gooseneck ball... 

image.png

However my ideas and build will be going on a flatbed...

• Like 2