• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Days like today lots of snow

Silverdodge

Days like today we have total 30 or so inches of snow in the last 2 weeks ish in Wisconsin where I live they don't get to roads vary fast so I end up taking the fiance to work moving my schedule around boss calls me in at 10 am go to work they buried the 2wd flat bed dually f350 gas up against a fence we got probably 8 inches in the parking lot on the ground yank him in the door get some product crated go home take her to work get back to work and a delivery van was stuck in the intersection right in front of work and one of my coworkers was just a slamming on it to try to get it out with the other work truck 4x4 gas f250 needless to say i had him unhook and pulled that delivery van in our shop needless to say everyone's happy that I had a Cummins today but man was that one ton delivery van a anchor 

• Owner

Man... we are getting slammed with snow. I'm going to spend a better part of my day digging out again. Then I got to get repairs done to the truck. Mostly basic maintenance.

I will admit I've got one of the best snow rigs in the area. Had a long day yesterday. I ended up taking MoparMom to the hospital to be checked out. Dialysis clinic wasn't sure of here issues, Yes she fine we are both at home. By the time we got done in Merdian ID and left head back for US95 for home, it was like 7 pm. Ate a bit of KFC and hauled butt. Somewhere around Council, ID it started snowing and sticking. By the time I hit Tamarack Mill the road was gone and filling with snow. I never backed down I kept the truck rolling at 50 to 60 MPH with 4WD and haulin' butt still. HID headlights on low beam just cutting through the blinding snow and able to see. Very very stable and still passing little cars rolling alone in a panic mode at 15 to 25 MPH. Pass then and kick back up to 50 to 60 MPH kept rolling. 

4WD and exhaust brake worked are great. Drop the throttle and the truck slows down nicely. The only thing I wish I would have done is to turn the Quadzilla down to Level 3. I still had level 7 and every time the wiretap hit boost would bang, all 4 tires would spin. Down in the Boise Valley, the wiretap was great but in the snow on a narrow highway, not a good idea. 

Now, this morning I've checked all the road camera and its snow from my place south to about Weiser, ID from what I can figure. The highway is fully covered yet and not good. My own place I'm buried in and going to spend about 2 hours digging out so I can get my daily tasks done. 

Edited by Mopar1973Man
  • Like 1

• Owner

Whew! I've been shoveling and plowing for 2 hours and still not done... Yeah, the snow pile at the end is over 4 foot tall now. 

20190213_083406.jpg

Wet, heavy snow. Ugh! Not for plastic shovels...

20190213_085738.jpg

Make things more fun now the power is starting to wink and blink here. Time to equalize charge the house batteries and check the electrolytes.

20190213_094109.jpg

20190213_094112.jpg

Edited by Mopar1973Man

Ya it's been fun to at the only a few people where I work have nice 4x4 trucks and even fewer that any that have any push to them there's one guy that has a 06 hemi and another that has a tundra 2 other people have Cummins after owning mine is never go back to a gasser for snow driving and I usually don't add weight to my rear I'm lazy and yes I keep the 35 12.5 meats of for winter I know a narrower tire would be better but I'm not losing clearance I some times go check fence lines with my truck but in the grand picture the truetrac made one hell of a difference after learning how to drive the truck again it will drive threw over a foot of snow at low speeds in 2wd with some finesse LMAO compares to the open diff it had before I'm happy

• Owner
38 minutes ago, Silverdodge said:

but I'm not losing clearance I some times go check fence lines with my truck

Had this same discussion with another member. So I'm running 245/75 R16 (30.5" tire) vs. your 35" tire. Since the axle is bolted at the center the difference is 15.25" at the center of the hub. 17.5" at the center of the hub for only 2.25" difference. Yeah, the diff hangs lower. 2.25" isn't a big difference. Even if I came back to factory 265/75 R16 (31.6" tire) which is 15.8" at the center. Now only 1.7" inch difference in axle height.  

50 minutes ago, Mopar1973Man said:

Had this same discussion with another member. So I'm running 245/75 R16 (30.5" tire) vs. your 35" tire. Since the axle is bolted at the center the difference is 15.25" at the center of the hub. 17.5" at the center of the hub for only 2.25" difference. Yeah, the diff hangs lower. 2.25" isn't a big difference. Even if I came back to factory 265/75 R16 (31.6" tire) which is 15.8" at the center. Now only 1.7" inch difference in axle height.  

Can't be only that

• Owner

Yeap... It is. Big tires only give HALF the lift. Always measures out from the ground to the center of the hub which is HALF of the total height of the tire. 

I only lost 0.55 inches from 265's (31.6") to 245's (30.5") in axle clearance. But change my final gear ratio from 3.55 to 3.69:1

You only gained 1.7 inches from 265 (31.6") to 35" x 12.50" R16 tire. You lost on the gear ratio.

35 / 2 = 17.5" to the hub center. 

31.6 / 2 = 15.8" to the hub center.

30.5 / 2 = 15.25" to the hub center. 

Sorry, the math doesn't lie... You'll lose a bit more on the squat of the tire depending on the air pressure you run too. Like I just check to the hub center on mine is about 14.5" with tire squat. 

Edited by Mopar1973Man

• Owner
16 minutes ago, Mad Bomber said:

You guys are getting the snow we had last week and this week. Seattle doesn't know how to drive. We are just holding up in our house and waiting for some of it to melt some

Man those are the kind of people I hate from down in the Weiser - Ontario area. Man, they go into full panic mode. Drive 15 to 25 MPH everywhere. Pick out the little car without 4WD. Then close down schools and cities practically because of a little snow on the ground. When you live in the backcountry you learn how to live without a lot of stuff and get used to driving long distances in bad conditions. Even the goofy ones from Boise that heading for McCall ID, Go home! if you can't handle snow. 

This isn't for the faint of heart. 

road cam.jpg

• Staff
19 hours ago, dripley said:

65 and sunny here.:sofa:

This usually means he's under a sun tanning lamp on his fourth beer.:thumb1:

22 hours ago, Me78569 said:

dry as a bone here,  

It;s gonna be a rough summer if we dont get more snow.  The southern end of the state is really lacking in the snow pack.

It's heading your way now I hope. Its about to slam into IBMobile's part of the country  real soon

Edited by JAG1
  • Haha 1

this place cracks me up... STIFFEST vehicle smog laws in the country, DROUGHT DROUGHT DROUGHT, yet EVERYONE has sprinkler systems in their yards with green grass (keep in mind I am in the desert, not near the coast)... so we water the grass with water we don't have so THOUSANDS of Landscapers can run around with SMOG EXEMPT lawnmowers mowing all day.........  pretty sure this is the definition of HYPOCRITES... All while the state government pretends California is ahead of the GREEN movement....  

Edited by portlandareae28
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1