• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Qaudzilla woes

• Owner
1 minute ago, Me78569 said:

I think you are trying to speed through the tuning process by combining steps and getting less than stellar results.

Bingo...

It's taken me over 3 years to learn what Quadzilla can do... Don't expect to learn to tune overnight and have the perfect truck in seconds. 

Edited by Mopar1973Man
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Me78569 said:

Step #1, is to understand the tuning.  you need to read the below article and understand what the tuning variables do.  

If you are not willing to put in time to tune your truck, then it won't work well.  The quadzilla is not supposed to be like the edge.  The edge is plug and play and you get what you get.  The quadzilla gives YOU the power to make the truck run like you want.  

Hence the verbage at the start of the how to article. 

I know the Quadzilla is up to the task because I have only had 1 instance where a truck didn't run well with it and I have helped tune, in person, over a dozen trucks and vastly more over the internet.   Every Edge to Quad convert that took the time to tune the truck said it is smoother and puts down more power with less smoke.  

I've been watching this thread and I have not seen any specific questions asked. I have not seen any of the tuning steps done.  

Have your tuned your canbus curve BEFORE messing with wiretap IE levels 4+ ?  are you happy with your canbus tuning?   are you happy with your timing curve?  Have you datalogged your changes to compare and isolate issues?

I think you are trying to speed through the tuning process by combining steps and getting less than stellar results.

I have read the article. Thats just it i didnt realize the V2 was so much more in depth and complicated. When i had the V1 adrenaline it was easy to make a good tune. I dont have the time to spend and tune it just right. I guess thats my bad for just diving in like i did. 

• Owner
8 minutes ago, Marcus2000monster said:

Thats just it i didnt realize the V2 was so much more in depth and complicated.

You should try the Smarty touch. Quadzilla V2 is a breeze compared to Smarty Touch. Smarty Touch is even more complicated and cost 3 times as much ($1,724) as a Quadzilla sad part is it still only a +60 HP tuner (some say 100 HP). 

https://smartysupport.com/store/product/9-smarty-touch-kit/

For right now stay to Level 3 till you get the CANBus fixed up and timing set for what you got then you can play with the wiretap.

Like I'm still testing and tweaking my latest tune.

It doesn't happen overnight. You got to put the truck through its paces and fix the tune as issues are found. 

:hijack:

Like just tuning the server here on the website it doesn't just happen. It takes time and testing to find all the bugs and set the server up correctly. 

It’s alright to be overwhelmed with V2. Like Mike, I’m on my third year of it and am still learning tricks. Don’t give up on it just yet. It’s a delayed gratification thing. 

You say you don’t have time to learn it, but you do. Once you understand what each variable does, and how it interacts with the tune, you can think of something different you want to change at night, and in the morning, implement it on your way to work. 

Most recent example i have is my timing reduction settings. I started with the goal that I wanted the turbos to spool faster. I then went back to the article Nick posted above (because I forget all the time what everything does) and figured out that I wanted to adjust both the Low PSI Timing Reduct and the Timing Reduct Scaling, because those two work in conjunction to pull timing. And then during daily driving duties, I messed with the values until I found something that I liked and that the truck responded well to. That’s my whole process for making a tune. Make it simpler chunks. 

Edited by trreed
  • Like 2

@Marcus2000monsterwhile I have never had a Quadzilla and don’t know much about it there are folks here willing to help you. It has been my observation that you like to jump in to help others who have questions that come to this site. It seems that you are younger than many others here and I believe it would be a good thing for you to invest the time to learn how to tune and in the not-too-distant future you could be coaching others who have tuning questions. Just my $.02. 

• Like 1

Is the Quad like an off-on switch once it hits the wire tap? The TS-MVP you can feel, nothing serious, but it's still there. I liked the Smarty S03 for being smooth, but no wire tap. I suppose they all have their own little quirks. Can't remember how the Edge products worked. 

Like everyone is telling you, don't give up. It's way to easy to say I can't. A man built it, so a man can conquer it. We are all created equally.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, jag said:

Is the Quad like an off-on switch once it hits the wire tap?

Sometimes it can feel like an on-off switch but has enough variables to be adjustable to each liking. 

4 hours ago, jag said:

Like everyone is telling you, don't give up. It's way to easy to say I can't. A man built it, so a man can conquer it. We are all created equally.

Exactly, where there is will there is progress. 

@Marcus2000monster Quadzilla with V2 tuning is best tuner for vp44, if you're limited on time you can just use default tune for now it's a pretty a decent tune that works well. Then when you get more time and you're not feeling stressed out you can start playing with custom tuning. You can easily recreate XLT tune that you're going to try with v2 tuning. It probably just maxes out canbus and timing halfway through the map. 

Good things come to those that wait, I had my quad since I had my truck, more than once I thought about selling it I'm getting an edge. Glad I waited now and v2 tuning is available. I would not trade it for anything at this point. In fact if someone took it away from me I would probably sell the truck or return it all back to stock.

• Owner
5 hours ago, jag said:

Can't remember how the Edge products worked. 

Edge had 3 defuel modes and 2 power modes. This was controlled on the sublevels. Which basically the 3 defuel modes worked off of 10, 15, 20 PSI boost limits. The 2 power modes were some extra fuel at near zero boost and full fuel at zero boost. Which both these setting where smoky even stock injectors.

So the fuel map wasn't really all that adjustable. Then the timing map followed the main level setting. which made it bad you bound both the fuel and timing together and could separate them. This where my high idle kit and MPG fooler came in because there was no way to kick the timing down in the dead winter. MPG fooler retards 4 degrees roughly.

So now you given the Quadzilla and all these limitations and bound together settings are unlocked and full freedom to set any way you wish. 

Edited by Mopar1973Man

2 hours ago, Dieselfuture said:

Sometimes it can feel like an on-off switch but has enough variables to be adjustable to each liking. 

Exactly, where there is will there is progress. 

@Marcus2000monster Quadzilla with V2 tuning is best tuner for vp44, if you're limited on time you can just use default tune for now it's a pretty a decent tune that works well. Then when you get more time and you're not feeling stressed out you can start playing with custom tuning. You can easily recreate XLT tune that you're going to try with v2 tuning. It probably just maxes out canbus and timing halfway through the map. 

Good things come to those that wait, I had my quad since I had my truck, more than once I thought about selling it I'm getting an edge. Glad I waited now and v2 tuning is available. I would not trade it for anything at this point. In fact if someone took it away from me I would probably sell the truck or return it all back to stock.

Im willing to try some more but i  sure my truck runs worse with the qaud turned on and idk why? Itidlesd a biut rougher and when its cold it bucks around while in warmup mode. Is anyone willing to help me set up a base tune that is smooth fueling all thge way to the top? The OE tunes seem ok but again they are super hard hitting wiretap. 

• Owner

I've got to ask what injectors are you running? How many miles on the injectors?

Injectors size and amount of wear has to be factored in. Like my old 7 x 0.0085 injectors needed a lot of timing because of being low in pop and automation was poor.

Cetane and IAT temperature have to be considered. Colder air does require more timing. High cetane and fuels require less timing. Trial and error in testing your tunes. This is why I got Simply Auto App to track my changes.

12 minutes ago, Me78569 said:

we need an output tune from you first.  Then we need a datalog showing what you are unhappy with.  without a datalog we cannot help as we can't see what is going on.   

If you do a data log make sure it fully warmed up.

Edited by Mopar1973Man

19 minutes ago, Mopar1973Man said:

I've got to ask what injectors are you running? How many miles on the injectors?

Injectors size and amount of wear has to be factored in. Like my old 7 x 0.0085 injectors needed a lot of timing because of being low in pop and automation was poor.

Cetane and IAT temperature have to be considered. Colder air does require more timing. High cetane and fuels require less timing. Trial and error in testing your tunes. This is why I got Simply Auto App to track my changes.

If you do a data log make sure it fully warmed up.

Check out my signature. :moon:

32 minutes ago, trreed said:

What tune are you currently running?

Currently on level zero. 

22 minutes ago, Me78569 said:

we need an output tune from you first.  Then we need a datalog showing what you are unhappy with.  without a datalog we cannot help as we can't see what is going on.   

What do you mean by output? Im not sure how to datalog and upload to here? 

9 minutes ago, Marcus2000monster said:

On a side not i hate the rats nest of wiring is theyre a way to route the wiring thats not so sloppy jo? 

Not sure what you are talking about?   You can make your wiring as neat as you want?

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Marcus2000monster said:

LOL its a dumb question just disregard it. 

As most here have said the only dumb question is the one you dont ask. 2 things have held me off the quad for now. One is money, the head gasket comes first. 2 is time to get to the hang of what it does. I am electronically challenged a will need help when I get one.