• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

What NV5600 fluids are yall running?

I normally run royal purple, 5 quart capacity plus 1. I'm gonna run some pennzoil synchro mesh for my new re build break in then change over to something different. So I know to run synchro mesh, but I've heard of guys using redline and other stuff. 

What is y'alls recipes? 

I haven't seen a whole lot of synchro mesh options out there. 

• Owner

Let's say that Dodge Dealer is now filling both NV4500 and NV5600 with ATF+4 transmission fluid. Since neither fluid is no longer manufactured.  If your worried about specs then Dodge dealer choice of ATF+4 is telling me there is not much to the spec other than its got to thin fluid for shift quality. 

Red Line 75W 80 synthetic is the best performing transmission oil I have tried by a long shot so far.  I decided to use it in the wife's truck since it has a fussy 3rd gear synchronizer.  It REALLY improved how the wife's truck shifts through the gears.  The Amsoil MTF works well too but is a bit thinner in viscosity.  I mixed the Amsoil MTF 50/50 with SAE 50 synthetic transmission oil in my truck which is not real cold weather friendly on the first start of the day but once warmed up or in warm weather works very well. 

There's lots of different opinions floating around out there and here, I've read. From all these oils I really haven't seen a common trend on what everyone is using, it usually 3-4 different oils and biased. 

I just get so confused lol. So I figured I'd make my own thread, and since I trust all the knowledge on this site, maybe I could get on board with a brand/weight.

So far I only can come to the consensus that synchromesh oil is what I should run. But I'd like more options... and it's hard to find sometimes. 

Also gonna do the same thing with t-case. But I know it's just atf so that's pretty simple. Just gotta choose a brand, lol. 

It looks like cost is not a real big issue due to low miles traveled (140k) For me it is, plus mostly they are towing miles. I use 15/40 diesel engine oil, 326k original tranny. I would not use any ATF. I also never overfill. I change every 36K miles. Keep it clean and full and these trannys go a long time.

Any ATF+4 for the t-case is fine. Be sure and pull the fill plug first and make sure it is not overfull or discolored by tranny oil. The biggest down fall of any manual tranny with 4x4 is running them low, due to leakage into the t-case. On a 4x2 any leak from the tranny is obvious.

• Owner
15 minutes ago, Stanley said:

What are you running @Mopar1973Man ?

Mobil 50 SAE GL-4 Synthetic Transmission fluid. Same stuff used in Eaton Fuller 10 speed transmissions. I'm at 110k miles and still going... No shift issues even with winter temperatures down to near -30*F and shift like butter. Be aware 50 weight oil is actually 90 weight Gear Lube much thicker. Like 75w-85 for the NV4500 is like 10w-30 engine oil.

Image result for oil viscosity

Image result for mopar1973man mobil 50

Have to remember @Mopar1973Man is running a NV4500, little different animal. That being said what he's using works great for him. Just personally I'll pay 4 or 5 bucks a quart more for the fluid that was made for my trans. If $20 makes or breaks me on a trans oil change every 100k then I probably shouldn't own a Cummins. 

• Like 1