• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

New Quadzilla installed--low power and 0 smoke?

Ha!  Good stuff guys.

yes, 285's on mine.  I could go bigger to "turn down" the 4.10s some, but 33" is large enough for me and since this will primarily be used as a tower, it's fine as is for now.

Lots of good info on this forum... seems like a good group.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I have. 2001 5 speed cummins. Has INtake and exhaust and just installed the iQuad a few days ago. I believe I need the fass165 titanium pump. Is that the only thing or do I need some sort of in tank pump as well ?  Thx in advanced 

• Owner

Should come as a complete kit. Follow the directions on the straw and cutting. Do not customize or change the cut for performance. The tip should be as close to the tank bottom as possible. FASS suggest stacking two quarters on the bottom and that is your gap. I'm running on a SINGLE quarter gap for the all this time.

Make sure to cut your straw on an empty as possible tank. Be a good idea to cut it 1/8 of an inch from bottom then make 1/8 by 1/4 wide gaps at bottom of straw so it never gets blocked by bottom of a tank. 

I personally like my draw straw5 kit it works on updated fuel modules.

• Thanks 1

• Owner

No. It will fail.

The measurement has to be done on a empty tank. This will be the shortest distance to the tip. Diesel weighs 6.1 pounds per gallon which is 213 pounds of fuel. This will deflect the tank bottom downward giving more gap. As the fuel is consumed the tank bottom tightens to the tip allowing to draw all the fuel from the the tank. 

Large notches or making too much gap gives 1/4 tank issues... Tip needs to be tight to the bottom which getting empty to get all the fuel. 

One quarter coin gap, 1/16 notches... Less than 1 gallon left in the tank. Notice the notch still under the fuel.

drawstraw-tip.jpg

Edited by Mopar1973Man
  • Thanks 1

@Otto8335 Do you have an in tank pump?  If you have the on engine pump then there is no need to go into the tank and install a draw straw.  I installed a Fass 165 on my truck and I just used the stock pick up from the tank.  Good pressures and no issues.  I did run 1/2 line from the tank to the Fass and from the Fass to the VP (bypassed stock filter canister and eliminated all the restrictive banjo bolts). 

• Owner

Personally I don't like the straw in the basket. There is the the thought of 1/2 or lower your keeping all the hot return fuel in the basket and very little cooling. Where the AirDog returns to the filler neck, the engine returns to the basket and the draw straw is no where near either. Hottest fuel temp I see typically is 135 to 140*F barely. Typically my IAT and Fuel Temp match. Being I've got 243k miles on the last VP44 not a bad setup. 

Fuel pressure: 14 to 20 PSI

Dual fuel filters: 3 um on the AirDog, 7um in the stock can. 

Fuel temp: <140*F

Wire tapped, 7 x 0.010 @ 320 bar Injectors.

My pickup is in the basket. It was the kit that came with my AD to replace the in tank pump, the pump and engine return both dump in the basket. I do wonder about fuel temp but I have no way to monitor mine. I cant say this is better or worse than any other set up but it has served me well. I put it in about 240k miles back and have 268k miles on this VP. Mine is filtered like @Mopar1973Man is with the AD and oe filters. I do run a good bit of bio blend thru mine, I do believe this helps the VP.

The Fass also returns to the filler neck...

I actually toyed around with the idea of putting in a drawstraw or sump but I havent had any issues with the set up as is so I havent put in either.  I bypassed the OEM filter because thats what the instructions from Fass said to do and I figured there were already filters on the Fass Pump so no need to keep the OEM one (and add more restricitve 90 degree connectors).