• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

DO EXHAUST RESONATORS ROB HORSEPOWER??

I would agree with that and already figured the volume coming out of my exhaust isnt going to relate to anything close to 120 hp loss.  But...if a 900 HP truck will loose that much power just from a short resonator then a 300 HP truck will have to loose something significant as well. :think:  Maybe 30-40 HP?  Not sure but just surprised at what they discovered in that vid...

1 minute ago, KATOOM said:

I would agree with that and already figured the volume coming out of my exhaust isnt going to relate to anything close to 120 hp loss.  But...if a 900 HP truck will loose that much power just from a short resonator then a 300 HP truck will have to loose something significant as well. :think:  Maybe 30-40 HP?  Not sure but just surprised at what they discovered in that vid...

a modded cr flows air much more efficent than the vp's.  It is not a 1:1 relationship.  

I doubt there is a 5 hp difference as the 4" is already way more than enough for 300 hp worth of exhaust.  

I'm not a show off and my WOT situations are climbing a long grade with a heavy trailer and wanting everything the engine can offer.  I have no idea what kinda power loss those resonators cause but it would sure be nice to know since below is what they say on their website.  I'm not dogging on FTE but its hard to disagree with the dyno...

This unique spiral design virtually eliminates the unwanted sound while keeping flow characteristics for both performance and EGT reduction.

Small and Simple Design makes this unit ideal for mounting in tight areas, heavy construction ensures it lasts a long time. See what customers are saying about their experience with this amazing product at www.cumminsforum.com, this product has proven itself to work great on all diesel powered trucks alike (Cummins, Powerstroke, and Duramax).

• 4" ID Inlet & Outlet
  • 5" maximum diameter x 17.5" Over All Length - 12" Usable
  • HD Aluminized Construction
  • Eliminates irritating "Drone" & Cab Noise, maintains good sound out tailpipe or stacks
  • No gain in EGT or reduction in flow
  • Premium grade product

I really think you are overthinking it, your existing 4" system has so much overhead in terms of flow at your power level that adding a resinator shouldn't do squat.  

Gotta remember that CR truck was likely running a full 5" system, adding a resinator likely created a bottleneck.  Your truck already has that bottleneck the hx35 already has a restrictive elbow on the back of it, then you jump to your 4".

I am %100 sure the resinator is less of a restriction than the hx35 is.

:2cents:

21 hours ago, Dieselfuture said:

I believe I have a 5" resonator on mine,  unless it's a muffler :think:

When PA decided a turbo no longer qualified as a muffling device I had to install one or the other. I decided to re-install the one that had 'fallen off'. I cut it in half to grease the bearing and couldn't believe what was in there. There was a pipe that was full of holes. Dang near rusted apart. There were also some springs in there. Looked like valve springs- exhaust valve springs I assume. I cleared all that junk out of there, welded it back together and put it back on where it 'fell off'. Now Mr. Inspector is happy again.

6 minutes ago, dave110 said:

When PA decided a turbo no longer qualified as a muffling device I had to install one or the other. I decided to re-install the one that had 'fallen off'. I cut it in half to grease the bearing and couldn't believe what was in there. There was a pipe that was full of holes. Dang near rusted apart. There were also some springs in there. Looked like valve springs- exhaust valve springs I assume. I cleared all that junk out of there, welded it back together and put it back on where it 'fell off'. Now Mr. Inspector is happy again.

I can't tell if you're serious or joking, but it's funny ether way to me :thumb1:

12 minutes ago, dave110 said:

I'm only serious when I need to be. Tonight I don't feel the need :lmao:

Things get really funny if you inhale enough ether.

what are you doing inhaling ether :think: trying to start your truck? 

It's kinda cold here today -15 tonight, not horrible but enough to let you know it's chilly. 

57 minutes ago, Dieselfuture said:

what are you doing inhaling ether :think: trying to start your truck? 

Truck starts fine. I'ts me that needs a kick in the pants to get going in the morning.

50 minutes ago, dripley said:

So did you grease the bearing?:whistle:

I was going to after the ether shot. I don't remember now..................

Edited by dave110
  • Haha 2

I attempted 5" with  no muffler. Drove around the block pulled right back in the garage and put one fte short resonator on.. this helped alot. Killed alot of drone and noise. Couldnt tell any difference from the straight pipe.

However I found it still to noisey so I I orderd a second fte. This killed more drone and noise. Still no felt difference in power.

I think I have one of the quiter 5" trucks however on the throttle its still alittle loud but I dont drive onthe throttle much. Was hoping the 62 turbo would quite it more but I think it actually got slightly louder

I also didnt notice any change in egts from no resonator to two resonators..

Youl be happy with the fte.