• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

• Staff

Not having trouble, just happened to take a closer look at the VP44 today and noticed that it looks like it may have been replaced. I say this because I know how aluminum will oxidize over time (truck is an '01) and this looks way better than I would expect for an almost 20 year old piece of aluminum to look. The fittings attached to the pump look fairly new also. Just wanted some other opinions so please see the 2 pics I took. It actually looks better in person. 

IMG_20200325_135314708.jpg

IMG_20200325_135303891.jpg

• Staff

Hmm still have the old fuel system. Need to upgrade that to get long life out of the VP44. Banjo bolts are bad and need at least 3/8 I.D. fuel line all the way to stay above 14 psi fuel pressure to cool the VP44 with more return flow. 

Others will squak about this very thing...... as they tell you need to redo all that. :thumb1:

With these trucks it's an investment in your future savings down the road too

Edited by JAG1

• Staff
1 hour ago, Doubletrouble said:

actually looks better in person. 

I've heard that before.

Seriously, I think that pump has been replaced.   You can see the yellow paint dabs on the screws and fittings.   Parts re-builders and wrecking yards will mark parts for anti-tampering.  If the paint is disturbed the warranty is void.    

• Staff

I do want to upgrade the system. I had posted before about going to 3/8" line and eliminating the banjo bolts for better flow and pressure. Probably replace the line from filter to VP first since I noticed a drip from the banjo on the bottom of the filter housing today. Gave it about an 1/8 of a turn to snug it up a bit. I'll check it again soon.

I was just curious if that VP could have been replaced already since it looks newer than any other parts.

• Staff

Yep new still. I have 1/2 in lines all the way including the draw straw and when hauling heavy going uphill the pump can hold at 15/16 so I really suggest you go 1/2 inch lines. At idle Im adjusted to 19 and then my draw down goes to 15/16 again just to help you what we talking about.

Fuel pressure will fluctuate with voltage slightly. But barely. 

That pump looks normal I wouldn't assume it's been replaced. Mine was done at bout 150 I now have about 180 on the second pump it still has the void sticker.  Would be nice to go to 500 on this pump.

• Staff

I do need to do the ground mod, is it possible that could mess with radio reception as well? My factory radio seems to fade in and out sometimes like interference.

With all that's going on right now I think I may have what I need for the ground mod. Trying to conserve money right now being I'm laid off again. Who knows how long this time.

I also have a Buick rendezvous I have to replace all the brake lines on. Have the parts just dreading it severely. We're giving that to one of our daughters. Can't wait til it's gone!

• Staff
12 hours ago, Doubletrouble said:

Would the larger 1/2" line with a ddrp cause any issues? 

I don't think so, but I would not go for the bottom like Moparman said. Try to go for at least a Raptor 150 or AirDog it will be money ahead instead of having to do it twice. I like the AirDog with its prefilters as it protects the pump from the larger debri. Water separation too is good before the lift pump since you want the water filtered before the lift pump can emulsify it so small the factory filter cannot get it.

An Air Dog goes out and you get a free one sent to you. It's a good deal that way. Rich guys on here go for the mechanical pumps they the best, but I'm okay with both my trucks on the 150 Raptors and everything half inch.

Edited by JAG1