• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

My Turbo has reached it's end-of-life. --> What are my options?

I knew this day would come.

I checked this morning after a seeming fail on my way home last night, according to my guage.

Bearing radial clearance test failed.

I don't have a tuner in my truck at this point.  I will likley put one in later.  I was trying to address any and all actual harware issues first to get everything working as best as possible.

It looks like @Mopar1973Man is happy with his HX35/40 Hybrid (60/60/12). Would it make sense for me to put one of these in my truck based on the assummption that I will eventually put a tuner in the truck. 

Is that a bolt in solution or is there some fancy footwork that would have to be done?

Or should I go stock?  Or.....? Any other suggestions are welcome.

My goal is reliability and best possible  gas mileage.

I don't care about going fast but do have a resident 1800# camper living on my truck full time and I do some towing here and there.

I do drive up and down very steep mountain roads frequetly.

I also do a lot of long distance highway driving, with a bit of offroading as well.

51 minutes ago, Mason The Dev said:

image.png.7258931ddbc978cb3b563a0b71abe4fb.png

Get one of these :thumb1::lmao2:

That is a thing of beauty!!!!

1 hour ago, Mopar1973Man said:

Give DAP a call they have rebuilt kits for turbos. Once rebuilt it will be all new again.

You could upgrade to 62/68/12 they have them as well DAP for a good price. Works with factory exhaust brake too.

Lenny at DAP suggested the S200GX-E DODGE RAM UPGRADE TURBO for my application.  Not over done but an upgrade to the stock and a good fit with my Bosch RV 275 Injectors.

https://www.dieselautopower.com/s200gx-e-dodge-ram-upgrade-turbo-12769880001

Lenny said this was a easy swap no mods or interface issues.  Just a bunch of baked, rusty fasteners to be worried about.  He said my exhaust brake would bolt right back on to it.

What do you think?

@Mopar1973Man

Any thoungs?

Edited by leety
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, leety said:

I have a Banks Exhaust brake so hopefully that would fit with it?

How does your exhaust brake mount? I assume it is a direct turbo mount. If it is like this one, you will need the stock type turbo with the 5 bolt exhaust flange.

This one should work in aftermarket.

Or a rebuild kit for your your stock turbo.

https://www.dieselautopower.com/holset-genuine-hx35-rebuild-kit-3575169

M143803731.jpg

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, NIsaacs said:

How does your exhaust brake mount? I assume it is a direct turbo mount. If it is like this one, you will need the stock type turbo with the 5 bolt exhaust flange.

This one should work in aftermarket.

Or a rebuild kit for your your stock turbo.

https://www.dieselautopower.com/holset-genuine-hx35-rebuild-kit-3575169

M143803731.jpg

Thank you for the info!!!

Yes my exhaust brake mounts directly to the turbo.  The Turbo Lenny recommended has that flange on it.  He said that would be the most approriate turbo for my injectors, exhasut brake set up and overall application.

You are recommending the same on that Lenny sugguested fits well with my injectors etc:

That's a good sign.

I love my exahust brake.  It's way too much fun!

Some shop stole the label off of it.

63F4C7B8-F4F4-4F81-821B-7B603BA18CE8.jpeg

1378D56B-2AF5-40B6-99DB-6DD8BB23C867.jpeg

B3E0BB9A-D2EE-4DC9-AA0B-B0E8EE192962.jpeg

Edited by leety
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Me78569 said:

The s200 gxe would be what I would do now days.  wick fast spool and supports 400 hp.  

Glad to hear this from you!!!!

Now to slather all the fasteners with CLP.  That stuff is magical!!!!

I had a hynge on an old comm shelter I have that was so loud the entire zip code could her it every time I opened and closed that door.  It was like a Halloween Sound Effect.  I tried every penetrating oil known to mankind first with marginal improvements.  Then someone told me about CLP, so I tried that as well.  Thanks to CLP those hynges are silent and totally free swinging.  Hopefully that helps me out with this project as well.

Edited by leety

17 minutes ago, Blueox01 said:

I got one of these HE351W, you have to clock the compressor housing and I had to modify the waste gate bracket.

https://www.benzforce.com/collections/turbos-accessories/products/new-genuine-holset-he351w-4043980-4043982-he351

Or I'll sell my old turbo HX35 to you, has about 40k on it

turbo done.jpg

Thank you.  I'm good have something on the way.  That looks very nice!!!

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/16/2020 at 12:37 AM, Blueox01 said:

I got one of these HE351W, you have to clock the compressor housing and I had to modify the waste gate bracket.

https://www.benzforce.com/collections/turbos-accessories/products/new-genuine-holset-he351w-4043980-4043982-he351

Or I'll sell my old turbo HX35 to you, has about 40k on it

turbo done.jpg

How is that turbo working out for you?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, dripley said:

How is that turbo working out for you? 

Still waiting on that part.  They are built to order.  I should get it sometime in November fingers crossed.  

I want to have a working spare on the shelf just in case so I'm working on rebuilding of the HX35W this weekend. If all goes well with the rebuild, I'll put that in and test it and get the Quad in so I can see what my nearly stock set up yields.  I have the Bosh RV275 Injectors.   That'll give me a baseline so when I put the new Turbo in I'll know what changed from nearly stock.

I got a Quad so I can put the sensor in while the tubo is out.  Sounds like more fun than drilling and tapping on a running engine.

I'll probably upgrade the Bosh RV275 later to maximize the new turbo but they are only a year old so I'll keep them for a bit.  I can probably run a +75hp injector with the new turbo rather than the +40 hp ones I have now.

• Like 1

You can't pry my 7x10's away from me, they work well with the quad and v2 tuning. I still think even 75 hp injectors could the poped to 320, but I can't say for sure as I've never done that. Just feel that if they all settle so fast it'll give much longer life to them. 

P.S. I'm not seeing my signature or anyone else's anymore @Mopar1973Man makes it tougher to give advice.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, IBMobile said:

@leety be careful that the truck will still pass the CA biannual emissions test if it is needed in your zip code. 

Yea I have a couple of different ways to address that.  First lime of defence is a costume to hide the box.  If the guy I think will overlook that catches it is i know guy ;-).  A girl's gota do what a girl's gota do.

22 minutes ago, Dieselfuture said:

You can't pry my 7x10's away from me, they work well with the quad and v2 tuning. I still think even 75 hp injectors could the poped to 320, but I can't say for sure as I've never done that. Just feel that if they all settle so fast it'll give much longer life to them. 

P.S. I'm not seeing my signature or anyone else's anymore @Mopar1973Man makes it tougher to give advice.

Thanks for letting us know about that bug @Mopar1973Man

Edited by leety

2 hours ago, leety said:

Still waiting on that part.  They are built to order.  I should get it sometime in November fingers crossed.  

I want to have a working spare on the shelf just in case so I'm working on rebuilding of the HX35W this weekend. If all goes well with the rebuild, I'll put that in and test it and get the Quad in so I can see what my nearly stock set up yields.  I have the Bosh RV275 Injectors.   That'll give me a baseline so when I put the new Turbo in I'll know what changed from nearly stock.

I got a Quad so I can put the sensor in while the tubo is out.  Sounds like more fun than drilling and tapping on a running engine.

I'll probably upgrade the Bosh RV275 later to maximize the new turbo but they are only a year old so I'll keep them for a bit.  I can probably run a +75hp injector with the new turbo rather than the +40 hp ones I have now.

I was refering to the the he351w that @Blueox01Blueox01is using. Not that I dont like the one you have coming. It sounds very good. My hx35w has 515k on it and no play in either direction. I like to think because I have taken good care of it by letting cool down regularly. Maybe its just to coked up to move, but it stil spins freely. 

That s200 sounds like the one to have @Me78569 thinks alot of it. But the 351 is only $550 new. That being said how they compare is over my head. I am not a turbo man. I am sure there is a good difference.

• Like 3

53 minutes ago, dripley said:

I was refering to the the he351w that @Blueox01Blueox01is using

Yes, many inquiring minds want to know!  A long while back he told me to call him but then I got Wuhans and didn't feel like doing much of anything.  Didn't remember that until I read your post, Dripley.  Apparently he likes and trusts it a bit if he's now willing to part ways with the 40k mile HX35.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, dripley said:

My hx35w has 515k on it and no play in either direction.

I'm just stumbled every time I hear you mention your ujoints and turbo with that mileage. Little chicken grease goes a long way I suppose. Kidding aside I'm happy to hear that you got all that life out of it. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dieselfuture said:

I'm just stumbled every time I hear you mention your ujoints and turbo with that mileage. Little chicken grease goes a long way I suppose. Kidding aside I'm happy to hear that you got all that life out of it. 

It baffles me too. Never expected that kind of life of this stuff.

• Like 2