• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Good tow turbo setup for near stock 24v

Currently I have a mostly stock 2001 Dodge 2500 with an auto tranny (sadly). It has stock injectors (probably original) and a rebuilt hy35 turbo and 5 inch straight pipe exhaust. No stud, no major mods. Have a quadzilla tuner and running a pretty mild tune off it and im trying to go for lower egts.

Eventually id like to make 350ish HP and thats about it. It tows regularly 3k to 14k constantly and and does pretty decent at it... Until egts start getting around 1200F. 

Im trying to find a common Proven setup that works for this application. I do plan on putting an exhaust brake on it at some point and would like to try to steer away from having 2 turbo's and keep it simple.

Any suggestions?

• Staff

My truck has an HX35 adjusted for 30lb of boost , RV275 injectors, Edge EZ with a 4" exhaust and tow 8-9K trailers.  The only time I see high exhaust temps is when going up hill in overdrive; down shift to 3ed and the temps go down.   With an HX35 and a mild upgrade in injectors you can dial in a tune with the Quadzilla and keep the temps down.  Be carful of how much power you put to the transmission; 350HP is about the max limit for a stock transmission.   

Ight, that and ive got 33's on a 3.54 gearset to worry about with the trans. I plan on getting the trans either swapped or beefed here soon. I tow very frequently in the mountains but im pretty sure you cant do 70 anywhere on I40 through maggy valley anyways. Lol

Id just like to be able to manage interstates with rolling hills without any effort.

Beware that hx 35's come either a bolt on for the down and a v band clamp for the downpipe. Not sure which you have but they can be had both ways. IIRC though they will interchange from one to the other, HX that is. Not sure you can swap that part from an HY to and HX.

On a different note, I live in Hickory NC and have had many instances of hauling my 5th wheel east and west on I 40. I am set much like @IBMobilewith 2 exceptions. I have a six speed and an Edge Comp. I only tow on levels 1, 2, and 3 which is pretty much the EZ in power. This set up has always worked well for me. I am also on a smaller set tires than you which is going to make a difference. How much I dont know but it will run hotter. Tranny might get warn too. Gauges would be recommended. 

E brakes are nice especially running thru the mountains. That will require some tranny mods since you have an auto. But I defer to the more knowledgeable on that subject

I didn't know that and glad you said something on that. Long-term plan is 4.10's on 35's which should help the trans a little. I've already got a good set of gauges set up and constantly watch. Is there a difference between the hx35 and the hx35w? And i noticed that multiple places sell a 12cm and a 14cm housing for it. Assuming the 12cm will fit like stock, but is it really worth going to a 14cm with the setup I'm trying to achieve? 

Appreciate everyone's input so far, this is helping me a lot.

20 hours ago, Threadzy said:

When I went from the HY to the HX. The Hy had the down pipe. The HX had the V band. I unbolted the HY down pipe and swapped it  with the V band on the HX.  5 bolts I believe. 

My HX did not come with the V band. the down pipe bolted to an elbow. They were not all the same. But it is good to hear that part will swap from the HY, That I was not sure of.

11 hours ago, Vinster_Beta said:

Ight, sounds easy enough. Now I guess I need to start looking for a good used or a new hx35 setup. Thanks to all

Here is starting place. There are alot knock offs out there so be careful.

https://www.benzforce.com/products/new-genuine-holset-hx35w-4035253-3960478-hx35?_pos=1&_sid=1930864b7&_ss=r

17 minutes ago, Vinster_Beta said:

Dang I like their prices a lot better too! I'll double check what downpipe mine has on it. Should be a factory hy35 bolt on elbow. In theory.... Seems I might do the swap quicker than intended now

2 things I noticed is that one it does have the v band connection on the back. Your hy bolted connection should swap to it. Two it could be set up for a different vehicle. I phone call to them would be advised before purchasing and tell them what you want to use it on . The waste is mounted differently than mine but looks like ought to work.

I just bought an HE351w from them on a pre sale deal and wont see it for a while. I do know that I will have to clock the compressor so it fits my application and modify the waste gate mount a little to clear the oil filter. 

@dripleyand I are expecting HE351W turbos from Benz Force one of these days, following in the trail blazed by @Blueox01. It does require a tiny bit more work in that you have to clock the turbo and tweak the wastegate actuator arm. Allows use of a future exhaust brake.

https://www.benzforce.com/products/new-genuine-holset-he351w-4043980-4043982-he351

Edited by LorenS

8 minutes ago, LorenS said:

@dripleyand I are expecting HE351W turbos from Benz Force one of these days, following in the trail blazed by @Blueox01. It does require a tiny bit more work in that you have to clock the turbo and tweak the wastegate actuator arm. Allows use of a future exhaust brake.

https://www.benzforce.com/products/new-genuine-holset-he351w-4043980-4043982-he351

I keep hoping for the shipping email to arrive but know I am bit premature. Then yesterday I read an article about shortages of shipping containers.. It appears some US agricultural products have not shipped because the demand for containers is having the shippers loading empty one for return to China and other destinations. So I hope ours is on the way back in the near future.

It would appear thought that the HX is in stock and maybe ready to ship.

and a big thanks to @Blueox01for testing the water and @AH64ID's input on the turbo.

• Like 1