• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

2001 Ram 2500 KeyFOB

Hey all, my son has a 2001 2500 24v that only came with keys when he bought it.  He would like to add a FOB to lock and unlock and my assumption is that this can be done via just programming.  Anyone tried this?  Does this article make sense and seem legit? https://itstillruns.com/program-keyless-entry-remote-fob-6194237.html  He only has keys and no FOB currently.

BDK

I dont know about the article but if the truck did not come with keyless entry you will have to add the system. Kits to add keyless entry used to be available and I would think still are in the after market. If the truck came with keyless entry fobs and programing should do it.

Dripley, pretty sure it came with Keyless entry as it will alarm if the driver side door is unlocked and opened with the key.  However, not with the passenger side door.

BDK

If a factory alarm is involved that is out of my experience. Though I would think the the keyless entry would have come on the truck with the alarm system. My truck has the keyless entry with no alarm system. How they are tied together would be aver my head. Some others here will have more insight than I.

there is no online directions to do this.  You will need the dealer to program via the CCD bus the new keyfod.  I called 10 or so lock smiths to try and find one that could do it and no one could.   

For RAM trucks that use the CCD bus there is NO WAY to program a new fob without a dbr3 tool without having an existing one working to start with.

1 hour ago, Me78569 said:

there is no online directions to do this.  You will need the dealer to program via the CCD bus the new keyfod.  I called 10 or so lock smiths to try and find one that could do it and no one could.   

For RAM trucks that use the CCD bus there is NO WAY to program a new fob without a dbr3 tool without having an existing one working to start with.

This is my same experience after digging into a bit..and the cost I couldnt justify at the time, going through the dealer..turns out my key works just fine. 

Guy on here did it for me, (Not sure if I should say who) maybe he will see this and say yeah that was me, he found a replacement Hi Line box (for want of a better word) It's Just above your right foot behind the kick panel, then found 2 new fobs, programmed the fobs to the box AND then shipped it all to the UK.

But the box might have come with a fob I don't know, it was not a DRB3

When I bought my truck there was no fobs and the box had a problem anyway

• Staff

BDK,

Most likely since the truck has the alarm system, it will have the CTM (Central Timer Module) with (2) plugins in it. It's right above the gas pedal behind the kick panel.

Easier way to check is to type the VIN of the truck into here and it will give you the build sheet of the options it was built with at the factory:

https://www.vindecoderz.com/

It will say "alarm and keyless entry" as part of the options if it came with them from the factory.

I programmed a new FOB to my 99 Cummins before but it's been a while and I don't remember if I had one FOB and just programmed the 2nd new FOB as a backup.

Edited by 01_Cummins_4x4

58 minutes ago, wil440 said:

Guy on here did it for me, (Not sure if I should say who) maybe he will see this and say yeah that was me, he found a replacement Hi Line box (for want of a better word) It's Just above your right foot behind the kick panel, then found 2 new fobs, programmed the fobs to the box AND then shipped it all to the UK.

But the box might have come with a fob I don't know, it was not a DRB3

When I bought my truck there was no fobs and the box had a problem anyway

It was a CCD Bus tool he created, which works in the same way as the dbrIII.   I tested one, but he fell off the forum awhile ago.  I dont think he is still around.    \

https://github.com/csouers/chrysler-ccd

Edited by Me78569

• Staff

I bought a couple brand new FOBs that I can't use, and they were like $20. I found out after the fact that my 01 Sport SLT didn't come with factory alarm nor keyless entry, so I'm going to be installing a brand new Keyless entry, alarm, and remote start system into it. If you want the new FOBs I bought send me $25 and I will ship them out to you.

I think a place like Batteries Plus can program the remotes for like $40.

11 hours ago, Me78569 said:

It was a CCD Bus tool he created, which works in the same way as the dbrIII.   I tested one, but he fell off the forum awhile ago.  I dont think he is still around.    \

https://github.com/csouers/chrysler-ccd

Yes that's it, he told me that a little more testing and he'd be selling them, I said I'd take one as soon as but as you say he disappeared

8 hours ago, BDK said:

Thanks for all the input guys.  So it seems like I'm just wishing and it is not really worth it cost wise.....

BDK

Why not keep looking for a used CTM that comes with a working fob and take 01's offer up of 2 new fobs,  mine works fine but the only thing I don't like is the doors lock once the truck is moving, bugs me to death when I stop and go to the pass door and it's locked, I asked the guy to disable pretty much everything on the CTM as less is more to me guess auto lock just sneaked in, not complaining at all though.

IIRC my original CTM wouldn't unlock the doors or the passenger door at least, I tested it by swapping a ctm out of my 3500 which worked fine 

Thanks for all the feedback guys.  I'm thinking about the FOB's 01 but may or may not go this route if it is such a pain to get everything working.  I thought it would just be simple like the article I referenced.  Since the truck seems to have the alarm and keyless entry (it locks the doors around 10mph, in addition to the alarm portion I referenced in my initial post).  Let me think about it as buying the remotes, would be moot if it takes another arm and leg to get all the programming done.

BDK

10 hours ago, wil440 said:

mine works fine but the only thing I don't like is the doors lock once the truck is moving, bugs me to death when I stop and go to the pass door and it's locked, I asked the guy to disable pretty much everything on the CTM as less is more to me guess auto lock just sneaked in, not complaining at all though.

There's a way to turn that off,

copied from cummins forum:

Close all of the doors.
Place the key in the ignition and cycle the key from the OFF position to the ON position for a total of four times ending in the ON position, do not start the engine.
Press the driver's side power door lock switch to lock the doors within 30 seconds.
You will hear a single chime when programming is complete and the automatic door locks feature will be deactivated.
To enable the feature again, follow the above steps again.

its also possible to turn off the horn honk and light flash when locking in a similar fashion, cant find those yet but I did them to my truck when I got it in 2014-2015.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Silverwolf2691 said:

There's a way to turn that off,

copied from cummins forum:

Close all of the doors.
Place the key in the ignition and cycle the key from the OFF position to the ON position for a total of four times ending in the ON position, do not start the engine.
Press the driver's side power door lock switch to lock the doors within 30 seconds.
You will hear a single chime when programming is complete and the automatic door locks feature will be deactivated.
To enable the feature again, follow the above steps again.

its also possible to turn off the horn honk and light flash when locking in a similar fashion, cant find those yet but I did them to my truck when I got it in 2014-2015.

Wrote on a peice of paper, will try it tomorrow  ....thanks

from pavement sucks.com

Horn Chirp - Optional
This feature is part of the Remote Keyless Entry system. When enabled, this feature generates a single horn chirp when locking the doors with Remote Keyless Entry transmitter. This feature is shipped enabled, but if desired the feature can be disabled by following these steps:
1. Place the key in ignition and turn the key to the ON position (do not start the engine)
2. Press and hold the UNLOCK button on the transmitter for four to ten seconds.
3 While the UNLOCK button is pressed, press the LOCK button on the transmitter and then release both buttons.
4. You will hear a single chime when programming is completed.
5. To enable the feature again, follow the above steps.

Cant find the light flash, but I don't know if its a thing for our trucks. Also some of these procedures are in the owners manual under remote keyless entry (RKE).

There were others but I cant find the site anymore. I think it was dodgeram.org but I cant get to the page... says connection timed out. :shrug:

@BDK, looking around for the above info, I saw that there are ways to program the fobs without the DRBIII, but @Me78569 is correct, you need an existing mated one otherwise a trip to the dealer is needed

Edited by Silverwolf2691
Formatting

Thanks all and Silverwolf with the update on the DRBIII.  I called my dealer and they were clueless as to how to do it.....anyway, think I will just let it go as it seems more hassle than it is really worth.  Really appreciate all the input however!

BDK

18 hours ago, BDK said:

Thanks for all the feedback guys.  I'm thinking about the FOB's 01 but may or may not go this route if it is such a pain to get everything working.  I thought it would just be simple like the article I referenced.  Since the truck seems to have the alarm and keyless entry (it locks the doors around 10mph, in addition to the alarm portion I referenced in my initial post).  Let me think about it as buying the remotes, would be moot if it takes another arm and leg to get all the programming done.

BDK

I guess it depends on how much $ you can find a hi-line CTM with a working fob for, can 1 working fob be used to program a new one ??

I paid $200 total for a used CTM, 2 new fobs and the guys time to sort it all out plus shipping to the UK,  I was well happy with that bearing in mind my pass door wouldn't unlock

• Like 1