• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Need a sanity check.. changing careers

Morning all,

I've come to a point in life where I am in need of a change. A bit of background on me: I'm 28, and have had 2 jobs since graduating high school. First was a gas station attendant for a year and a half-ish, the second and current job is as a drafter/draftsman for a well regarded company in my area, going on my 9th year. The company is for the most part excellent, trying not to brag too much but just putting all the info out there: I pay $14 a month for health insurance including vision. I've had coworkers receive no bill for having kids, the company paid for it. I've also got a large sum of money that is set up by the company for retirement. I cant put money into it, however. I also make a touch over $22.50/hr. (started at $18/hr)

Now for the bad, I went to a technical high school for drafting, I had a passion for drawing cars and thought it would have been a good fit. Whelp, got into the field and turns out I cant stand the job anymore. Its all the same thing day in and day out. I've tried asking to be moved but that was met with a wall.

I've come to realize that I have a knack for fixing vehicles. And it turns out that a semi local diesel/high performance shop has an opening. they are offering insurance, training/performance incentives, paid time off, and holiday pay. They also put on dyno days with their in house dyno.

My only hang up is that I have only "shade tree" experience. All of my experience is my own vehicle or family vehicles. but I've been working on them since I was 17. The job posting isn't requiring an ASE cert or anything. they are offering $15-30/hr based on experience.

I'm looking for some outside thoughts on if this is a fools errand to follow through on. In benefits I know I'm giving up quite a bit, but when every day feels like an 8 hour wait to go home, and the thought of going to work is actually causing stomach knots, I'd say its time to head elsewhere.

Open to all thoughts, and thanks in advance.

• Owner

Not really a fools errand...

Just consider I started my first business of "Cloud !0 Computer" after graduating from ITT Tech (Van Nuys, CA). I ran that business till 2008. When the market crashed it had a huge impact. By that time the website and the amount of diesel work I was doing was better option. So I put the extra effort and crated the business name of "Mopar1973Man.Com" for shop work. As for the "Cloud 10 Computers" I left it behind but hold the name still. I could bring it back with all my Linux Knowledge and Server Setups. In the meantime the Mopar1973Man shop side has been doing very well. 

In all the years... There is a bunch of part time or oddball jobs.

• Images in glass and mirror (Hung mirrors in Eddie Van Halen's House!)
  • Motorcycle body work
  • Montgomery Wards (Tires and batteries)
  • Cable assembly
  • Auto body
  • Car stereo installer
  • Restaurant "dish pit"
  • Computers (Windows) and Internet setup (Cloud 10 Computers)
  • Managed Steelhead Inn (Motel)
  • Shop mechanic (Mopar1973Man.Com)
  • Linux Server Admin (Mopar1973Man.Com)

Like the saying goes. If you love what you do you never work a day in your life. You’re still young enough to start over. No telling what else it will lead into. Maybe the next Chip Foose? At the end of the day it’s your call but you’ll never know till you try. 

• Like 3

• Staff

I worked for Montgomery Wards for a summer down in Monterey. We were delivering appliances and furniture. One ranch we delivered to their driveway was paved for the whole 29 miles long. It was a beautiful place, could not believe how long their road was so we clocked it while going out. Never forgot that.

I dont know all of your info like if you have a family, do you have any health issues that you need to rely on the benefits, but I would say if you have nothing keeping you tied to your current job then go for it.  Life's too short to be unhappy.  Get after it.

I also worked at Monkey Wars (Montgomery Wards) in my younger days.  I was working there when I graduated from ITT (Pittsburgh) and got hired at my current job, that was 21 years ago... :stuned:

• Like 1

This is not an easy decision by any means. I've been at same job for almost 13 years now and slowly climbed the ladder to where I'm in charge now of a small town water and wastewater plants among other things, like maintenance of stand by generators, lots of work in the field fixing random stuff. I like my job to the point where even after we moved to a different city because of wife's job 70 miles away and now she lost that job due to her department being subbed out to India :ahhh: But having kids and bills I keep on driving as the benefits and retirement makes up for it, if I live long enough to see it :lmao:.

The waste of time driving is the worst part of my job well and some politics that go with it, that you'll have anywhere for the most part. 

I've been looking for a job closer but can't find anything with same package, hoping some day I will. 

I've worked for some shops in the passed fixing cars/trucks going to actions buying selling, it was fun for a while. Would be great if you can do that for yourself, but then again you'll be a working fool until you figure it out. 

I'd say if you hate the job move on and don't look back, keep at it, with good work ethic you'll be fine, as long as this world doesn't go completely bananas which at this point hard to tell. 

It seems that most of the money will be in tech department, software etc. All new cars rely on it heavily and old technology will fade out with time. Diesel may be faded out at some point too but it may be a good start to learn on at the shop you're talking about, it won't go away at once and certain things will still be diesel for a while, just not for general use I don't think. 

So yeah like others said you won't know until you try. Good luck.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Threadzy said:

No telling what else it will lead into. Maybe the next Chip Foose?

Now that would be something. 

22 minutes ago, hdpwipmonkey said:

I dont know all of your info like if you have a family, do you have any health issues that you need to rely on the benefits, but I would say if you have nothing keeping you tied to your current job then go for it.  Life's too short to be unhappy.  Get after it.

28 years old, single but a doggy dad, no reliance on the medical/health benefits.

19 minutes ago, Dieselfuture said:

I like my job to the point where even after we moved to a different city because of wife's job 70 miles away and now she lost that job due to her department being subbed out to India  But having kids and bills I keep on driving as the benefits and retirement makes up for it, if I live long enough to see it :lmao:.

If I liked the job this is a situation i would be in minus the wife losing her job and the kids. Sorry to hear that dieselfuture, and best of luck to you and your family.

The retirement package they have set up for every employee is a bit nuts. After 7 of 9 years later and i have low 6 figures already in an account i cant touch until im 55-65.. And every employee has the same type of account. I can move that money if i leave so thats taken care of. 

Mostly i think my hang up is my health insurance, finding something close is probably a lesson in futility..

37 minutes ago, Dieselfuture said:

as long as this world doesn't go completely bananas which at this point hard to tell. 

Aint that the truth.. (see photo)

Im gonna keep pressing on with this path, see where it takes me. Still in the first steps but thats where the journey starts doesnt it. 

FB_IMG_1623255391929.jpg

• Haha 4

57 minutes ago, Silverwolf2691 said:

If I liked the job this is a situation i would be in minus the wife losing her job and the kids. Sorry to hear that dieselfuture, and best of luck to you and your family.

Thanks, yeah there are few other issues in the way too but I'm pushing forward for now. 

• 4 weeks later...

Update, and not a great one.. The place I was looking at for the new job disappeared. Website was still up, google still says they are open. Their Facebook page is a bit deserted, nothing new since 2019. Went by the place and the building has a different name on it plus no diesel trucks waiting to go into the shop. Did more digging and found apparently the owner of the company on Facebook. Going back to early-mid may he has a post for the dyno his shop had up for sale. digging a bit deeper I found some state paperwork filings that showed the place changing locations to a residential address. Moral of the story, tread carefully with job postings that say over a month ago.

Still trying to find something, just trying to figure out what else I want to do for the foreseeable future, so the hunt continues.         

4 hours ago, JAG1 said:

@Dieselfuture, why don't you move to the town you like your job so much? You might do real well selling and buying another place. Maybe get pole barn with it :drool: fer all yer toys, right? :thumb1:

When we lived close to that town we couldn't afford anything there taxes were at least double from where we lived, now that we moved we pay like 4 times more :lmao:just can't win. I really don't know anymore what I'm doing, just taking it one day at a time for now.

• Staff
2 hours ago, Dieselfuture said:

When we lived close to that town we couldn't afford anything there taxes were at least double from where we lived, now that we moved we pay like 4 times more :lmao:just can't win. I really don't know anymore what I'm doing, just taking it one day at a time for now.

Tell the boss managers what you need to live right and get a raise. You aren't getting any younger and that commute is really going to take it's toll on you. Figure what you spend for extra maintenance and fuel and deduct that from the increased taxes. find nice place out in country the woods and heat with wood  boss. You can do it and you'll never find a better job from what you describe. :2cents:

• Thanks 1

• Owner

Like myself I've been self employed for the last 30 years for the most part. Yeah I've worked other jobs like dish pit at a restaurant. Still in all I've always did my own investigating work of what is needed in the area around me. Currently mechanics are in short supply. I've even gotten smart and talked to the shops around me and offer to take jobs they don't like to handle or don't wanna handle and visa versa. This way everyone helps everyone. I've current got more work than I know what to do do with. I'm up every morning at 5am and out the door by about 6am. Work till noon and hide from the heat till afternoon. Still working for my Well To Do Family. 

I know @JAG1 and @IBMobile are both self employed as well.

Edited by Mopar1973Man

• Staff
2 hours ago, Mopar1973Man said:

This next spring I'm going to be ready for you guys... Fingers crossed. 

Did I hear that right? Wow, incredible! :thumb1:

Next one is this Fall in October

• Staff
5 hours ago, IBMobile said:

This fall we may be starting at Lassen Volcanic National Park then through Susanville and Reno to Bridgeport, CA.

yep, that will be cool. How many nites in Lassen do you think?