• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Winter weather - What do you see where your at?

Mopar1973Man

• Staff

This morning, FOGGY, 43 deg, visability only about 1/4 mile. Temps are supposed to start dropping through the day, rain after about 10am, turning to snow later 2-4 inches expected.

It's been a very wet fall/winter here so far, lots of rain. The ground here is soggy. When I walk through the yard I sink in an inch and water squishes out around your boot. The ground is so saturated with water at this point when we do get rain the septic and leach field get inundated with water and stops flowing. I've had to drop a submersible pump into the septic tank just far enough to pump out the rain water to get things moving again. I hate to do it but I don't have much choice at this point. I believe I'm going to have to dig up the tile around the outer perimeter of the leach and redo it. I'm sure tree roots have gotten into the tile. 

• Staff
4 hours ago, Doubletrouble said:

This morning, FOGGY, 43 deg, visability only about 1/4 mile. Temps are supposed to start dropping through the day, rain after about 10am, turning to snow later 2-4 inches expected.

It's been a very wet fall/winter here so far, lots of rain. The ground here is soggy. When I walk through the yard I sink in an inch and water squishes out around your boot. The ground is so saturated with water at this point when we do get rain the septic and leach field get inundated with water and stops flowing. I've had to drop a submersible pump into the septic tank just far enough to pump out the rain water to get things moving again. I hate to do it but I don't have much choice at this point. I believe I'm going to have to dig up the tile around the outer perimeter of the leach and redo it. I'm sure tree roots have gotten into the tile. 

Having experience with drainfields, That is what we often find. One we lifted out the first 10 foot sections of pipe coming out each of the D boxes and each pipe was full of intwined tree roots in perfect shape of the 4'' pipe. We were having a good time because the county wanted a new system that would have cost around 30 K in todays money.

• Staff
1 hour ago, Doubletrouble said:

Yeah, I'm sure the county would have a field day. We have a small backhoe on a 3 point hitch. Rather just dig it myself and replace the drainage tiles. May have to remove some trees from the area to prevent it from happening again. 

Take a look at 'Easy Lay' pipe out of Oregon. I knew the inventor, real helpful generous guy. Anyway the aggragate is netted to the outside of the pipe and is artificial aggregate so its so light weight, it's impossible to beat. It's approved and used all the time now. My system is the old 'Infiltrator",  noe gravel required with chambers running 400 feet, that have louveres so the soil won't go into the chamber. In oregon a 3 bedroom place needs 400 feet of drainfield but, when an impossible, dire situation came up we ran only 85 feet without problems even years down the road. Was to be a temporary fix, in the written agreement but, the owner never got money. Can't blame her as the old house was one leg away from dozer bait anyway.

Amazes me how many people are gone now that desreved much admiration throughout the years.

On 1/1/2022 at 3:30 PM, JAG1 said:

My system is the old 'Infiltrator",

They are located the next town over from me (three technically.. villages make things weird). In fact, I almost worked for them starting as a work based learning from the technical high school I went to. But ,due to a huge communication issue between the school and the company, that didn't pan out. Infiltrator also has something similar to that easy lay pipe you mentioned.

On topic, decent storm is just missing south this morning. gonna hit long island and the other islands out there (Block Island, Martha's vineyard, Nantucket, etc), and we are looking at another on friday. Too early to tell on that storm though..

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

The odds keep going up for us to get buried in snow tomorrow. Models are forecasting 18-24 inches with 40-45mph gusts where I am. There are other places like Providence, RI and Boston that are 24-36 inches. I know to some that's a yearly occurrence but for us the most we (I) have really seen forecasted was generally 20-24.. We don't see 24+ very often. Last times were 2015 and 2013. We are getting our yearly snow fall and then some in one storm..

• Owner
3 minutes ago, Me78569 said:

we finally got above 0 yesterday.  the last ~3-4 weeks has been hovering between -30*f in the morning and -10*f during the day.  a couple 20* days will be heavenly.

Ugh. Man that just cold. Back a about 4 years ago we dropped to -40*F in New Meadows, ID minus anything is just plan cold period. 

12 minutes ago, Me78569 said:

we finally got above 0 yesterday.  the last ~3-4 weeks has been hovering between -30*f in the morning and -10*f during the day.  a couple 20* days will be heavenly.

Dayum! Can you actually feel the difference between-30 and -10? 

• Owner
13 minutes ago, Threadzy said:

Dayum! Can you actually feel the difference between-30 and -10? 

Yup you can... I've seen and been in -30*F before and next day or so warm up near zero does feel warmer than the previous days. Still cold be it how fast the cold soaks into to you is the difference. More or less a zero degree day wouldn't chill you as fast compared to -30*F that feels colder faster. 

20220128_081155.jpg

Edited by Mopar1973Man

1 hour ago, Mopar1973Man said:

Yup you can... I've seen and been in -30*F before and next day or so warm up near zero does feel warmer than the previous days. Still cold be it how fast the cold soaks into to you is the difference. More or less a zero degree day wouldn't chill you as fast compared to -30*F that feels colder faster. 

20220128_081155.jpg

Good to know. Coldest temp I’ve been in is probably mid 20’s.  

I am so sick of winter. Keep trying to convince my wife to move to warmer weather. She's all for it but not until our mom's are gone. Both our dad's died within 5 months of each other. Her and I are the only ones in both families that regularly check on and help them. So here I sit, cold and cranky.....lol

• Like 1

• Owner

My hat is off to you sir. I understand the tending to family far too good. Being I cared for my father till he passed in 2004 on then my mother passed in 2020. The things you do for family and my opinion its the best thing to do. :thumbup2: 

Might be cold and cranky but you got family.... Be there for them. :cheerleader:

• Thanks 1

I read the posts when you were driving your mom back and forth. That was a heck of a burden I'm sure, but one you did without question. My hat is off to you. I'm sure you had other wants and desires out of life, but family first. As much as I might complain about not being able to do what I want, I truly have no problem staying here taking care of our moms. Her's has been in her home for 31 years. Mine has been in hers for 58. They ain't moving.....lol

• Thanks 1