• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Favorite Auto Parts Store

jshmohr

So guys I pretty new to the site, I manage a NAPA that has been in the family for almost 40 years so NAPA is pretty much all I know but I would like to know what the rest of you think. So lets here it what do you think is the best auto parts store and why!! My vote gets NAPA:thumb1:

I dont have a favorite.I like napa for some stuff. Autozone has a deal when you spend $25.00 4 or 5 times you get $20.00 off.Napa has over priced almost everything.Cummins 15/40 oil is crazy 15.00.Autozone 9.99.I like buy right because i know the owner and he sells parts to me at jobber prices.I will admit napa has smarter people working vs autozone.

We have O'rieleys, Napa, Carquest and A local company that has been growing called Hedals now in about 5 states. I have used Hedals for many years to keep the money local but have lately been getting most parts from O'rileys as they are beating everyone elses prices in a big way and they offer lifetime warranty on most parts now also. About the only time I go to Napa is if I am desperate and can't find the part I need and they happen to have it. Never go to carquest as they are located in a goofy area of town and I always forget about them.

I have my choice of local places:

AutoZone

Advance Auto

Car Quest

Napa

Motion Auto

Pep Boys

AZ and AA are usually one in the same. Although I usually drive past AZ to get to AA. I used to be a store mgr for AZ, and they treated me (us) like poo.. So I tend to avoid them.

NAPA seems to have to order everything I need, and it's usually 20-50% more expensive.

Pep Boys... well.. They DONT have everything but gas.. It always amazed me that as big as that place is, they never seem to have what I'm looking for, their counter people are brain-dead, and the only thing you can usually walk in, pick up and pay for, is something in the stereotypical aisles..

Car Quest (the one here is an actual distribution center) ALWAYS has what I need.... At a price.. But IF I need something and can't wait, here's where I go. Sometimes, their normal parts pricing will beat AA or AZ.

Motion Auto Parts is basically a NAPA and CQ peddler, with a mark-up.

So, if I'm not in a rush (if I can wait a day or two) I ALWAYS use RockAuto.com. Cheaper prices, BY A MILE!! Case in point, I am currently looking to replace my 24 valver's Oil pressure sender, since mine is stuck at 40psi.. Yes, key-on, engine-off, I show 40psi OP..

2001 Dodge Ram Cummins Oil Pressure Sender:

NAPA = $225 Echlin Ignition ECH OP6725

AA = $213 BWD S4192

AZ = $192 Duralast PS398

RA = $155 SMP PS407

2001 Ram 2500 Radiator

AA= $341 Ready Rad 43-2464

NAPA= $303 Spectra NR2464

AZ= $240 Spectra 432464

RA= $166 Vista-Pro 432464

...funny, all the part numbers are the same, with 3 different "brands"... makes a guy wonder..LOL

2005 Hyundai Sonata GL 2.4L Radiator

NAPA= $299 Altrom ATM 1533408

AA= $180 Spectra 43-1501

RA= $89 Spectra Premium CU2339

Just a few examples, there. As you can see, I'm a price-shopper. And I always get at least 5% off on the RA orders, which usually covers the shipping fees.

i usually goto oriellys. we have autozone, oriellys, advanced auto, and napa here in OKC. the NAPA's are few, far between, and overpriced for the same parts(no offense to anyone). the only time i have gone there was to some diesel bio-cyde, and to see if they had the same sell on oil another member in another state had seen(they didn't have the sell at all). advanced auto is usually cheaper a few somethings, but much more on others. so when i need a bunch of stuff, i avoid them. autozone does have rewards, but are usually a dollar or two more for the EXACT SAME item. they also do not turn rotors or drums. for the listed reasons, i do most of my shopping at oriellys. all of them seem to do price matching if it is the same part for the same warranty period.:2cents:

Rogan pointed out something for me also. I too use Rockauto.com if its something that I do not need right away or small odd ball parts, if its something that would need to be warrantied like alternators I just warrantied one from my wifes VW or the steering gear I just got for my 05 from O'rieleys I like the local stores so I can carry it in and swap it. Don't like the hassle of shipping large parts around.

I have my choice of local places:

AutoZone

Advance Auto

Car Quest

Napa

Motion Auto

Pep Boys

AZ and AA are usually one in the same. Although I usually drive past AZ to get to AA. I used to be a store mgr for AZ, and they treated me (us) like poo.. So I tend to avoid them.

NAPA seems to have to order everything I need, and it's usually 20-50% more expensive.

Pep Boys... well.. They DONT have everything but gas.. It always amazed me that as big as that place is, they never seem to have what I'm looking for, their counter people are brain-dead, and the only thing you can usually walk in, pick up and pay for, is something in the stereotypical aisles..

Car Quest (the one here is an actual distribution center) ALWAYS has what I need.... At a price.. But IF I need something and can't wait, here's where I go. Sometimes, their normal parts pricing will beat AA or AZ.

Motion Auto Parts is basically a NAPA and CQ peddler, with a mark-up.

So, if I'm not in a rush (if I can wait a day or two) I ALWAYS use RockAuto.com. Cheaper prices, BY A MILE!! Case in point, I am currently looking to replace my 24 valver's Oil pressure sender, since mine is stuck at 40psi.. Yes, key-on, engine-off, I show 40psi OP..

2001 Dodge Ram Cummins Oil Pressure Sender:

NAPA = $225 Echlin Ignition ECH OP6725

AA = $213 BWD S4192

AZ = $192 Duralast PS398

RA = $155 SMP PS407

2001 Ram 2500 Radiator

AA= $341 Ready Rad 43-2464

NAPA= $303 Spectra NR2464

AZ= $240 Spectra 432464

RA= $166 Vista-Pro 432464

...funny, all the part numbers are the same, with 3 different "brands"... makes a guy wonder..LOL

2005 Hyundai Sonata GL 2.4L Radiator

NAPA= $299 Altrom ATM 1533408

AA= $180 Spectra 43-1501

RA= $89 Spectra Premium CU2339

Just a few examples, there. As you can see, I'm a price-shopper. And I always get at least 5% off on the RA orders, which usually covers the shipping fees.

Hey just did a quick check on the parts you asked for at our store the #Ech OP6725 $188.79 #NR2464 $259.23 and for the 05 Hyundai rad I looked up a Spectra #2844 $137.17 just thougt you would like to know love the input!!:thumb1:

--- Update to the previous post...

Rogan pointed out something for me also. I too use Rockauto.com if its something that I do not need right away or small odd ball parts, if its something that would need to be warrantied like alternators I just warrantied one from my wifes VW or the steering gear I just got for my 05 from O'rieleys I like the local stores so I can carry it in and swap it. Don't like the hassle of shipping large parts around.

:thumb1: Yeh thats what I like to say NAPA is the largest auto parts store in the USA and many of us are on the road alot if you are on the road out of town are you going to find a Rock Auto if in need, the other thing NAPA prides itself on quality parts! now I know they still have problems but I can assure you most of the time if one company is alot cheaper no matter if the warranty is the same it is not the same quality. And yes I know if it has a lifetime warranty who cares but do you want to replace a starter,alt or track bar every 6 months! Anyway thanks guys for the input love to hear outside my NAPA bubble:thumb1:

I go to Bumper to Bumper, which is basically NAPA, they carry NAPA parts anyways. They have everything I can ever think of there. There are some specialty parts that they will go out of their way to get for me and they are always cheap. There is a NAPA at the other end of town and they are pretty good as well. Both of them are the only ones who carry the right fuel filter for my ford. I hate auto zone. Everyone in there needs directions to tie their shoes every morning. O reillys isn't too bad, but I don't think their parts are as good as NAPA stuff. There are parts with lifetime warranties from auto zone or other places that might never go out at all. It's not like their starters are made of plastic, spark plugs made with tin foil,... A lot of stuff will be fine.

Hey just did a quick check on the parts you asked for at our store the #Ech OP6725 $188.79 #NR2464 $259.23 and for the 05 Hyundai rad I looked up a Spectra #2844 $137.17 just thougt you would like to know love the input!!:thumb1:

I look up prices on the napaonline site, since my local store is usually within a couple bucks of that..

I ALWAYS shop prices before I buy a replacement part.

As for the OP6725, that's still an insane price for a freaking oil pressure switch.. Not just NAPA, but any place.. Everywhere is way too expensive for that thing. Especially when a gasoline engine's OPS is like $20 bucks.

I look up prices on the napaonline site, since my local store is usually within a couple bucks of that.. I ALWAYS shop prices before I buy a replacement part. As for the OP6725, that's still an insane price for a freaking oil pressure switch.. Not just NAPA, but any place.. Everywhere is way too expensive for that thing. Especially when a gasoline engine's OPS is like $20 bucks.

Yeh but it has a special oring metric thread, I now a buddy that ramed a pipe thread adapter with a bunch of goo and put a mechanical gauge in his truck the only problem is the truck will ding and check gauges light will stay on but yes they are crazy on the price. P.S. my truck reads 80psi even when the truck is not running so yes I need to drop the dough also:doh: