• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

My track bar is getting worn and was wondering if a stock replacement is OK. I have seen the after market ones but wondered if they are worth the extra $.

Your stock one lasted 12 years, will you still be running the truck 12 years from now?
  • Like 2

I couldn't get a stock or moog to last more than 20-30k miles on any of my three 2nd gens.

That's what I'm used to hearing both from the intertubes and from all the folks I know even with gasser 2nd gens. The west coast bias and number of easygoing slow drivers must be the "other side of the coin" The NAPA replacement in my truck lasted about 25k before I cut it up, the previous owner put it on and he bought the truck about 35k before I did the mod, that's the longest it could have lasted if it was the very first thing he did - and it wasn't...

That's what I'm used to hearing both from the intertubes and from all the folks I know even with gasser 2nd gens....

My first 2nd gen I bougth brand new was a 95 1/2 ton reg cab longbox 4x4 and I traded it in at 110k miles on a 99 2500 lbqc v-10. My 95 I put 3 or 4 track bars on it in the time I had it. My 99 I had to replace it when I bought it as 25k miles and when I traded it on my 02 a year later it was shot already some were under warranty yet I used Moogs and they were no better. My 02 got the upgraded one once I learned of them when I first got internet access and found about forums. I would tell anyone wanting to save money to just go with Lukes links. I personally have not used them but know a few friends who have had good luck with them.
  • Like 1

I had a moog bar on mine and I thought it worked good until I recently put in a bd adjustable 3rd gen bar. I needed to move the axle to the passenger side about 1/2 inch because of the lift springs. The truck drives better than it ever has.

Did your truck have what seemed like an on and off pull to the right?

• Owner

Did your truck have what seemed like an on and off pull to the right?

Sounds like mine now...:duh: Well I'm doing the foot work looking for a cheap track bar now... ---- Searching.... Well after digging the internet... NAPA at $82 locally. (Only got a 12 month or 12K mile warranty) RockAuto.com $52 but here is the kicker Mevotech has a 5 year or 100,000 km warranty... Hmmm :rolleyes: And even check in Ontario, OR toady and they wanted $150 for there Chinese cheapy... :stuned:
  • Like 2

• Owner

What is a track bar? I looked it up and it appears this is a 4x4 thing? My 2wd has nothing like this. Ok go ahead and laugh. :cookoo:

No one's laughing at you... :nono: (Valid question - That's the only way you'll learn is by asking questions! :thumb1:) But a track bar is a bar that holds the 4WD front axle center in the springs. Its got a ball stud on the driver side and the passenger side of the axle has a bushing. But the driver side ties to the frame. Passenger side ties to the axle. As the track bar wears out the ball stud start to move and the axle start to shift left to right in the coil springs causing a pull to the right. (At least in my case). Here is my youtube vid of it... (Watch the bar and the axle)

Checked Lukes Links, they sound good being repairable but they are about the same price as Rock Auto but more work to install. Not sure which I will get. :shrug:

I've had a Luke's Link now for just over a year and it seems to be almost wore out. I forgot about greasing it sometimes so I'm sure that is part of it but if you have the $'s get a more permanant fix. It's a great way if you're short on cash as i was then. I checked out Rock Auto and I think I'll be getting a Moog bar from them soon.

Is that 3rd gen a weld on or bolt on for the 2nd gen? I need one and dont know what to get.Thanks for this thread.

Its a bolt on, I put it on a lift and it made it alot easier. I adjusted it on the ground but did my drilling on the lift. You have to drill 3 or 4 holes in the frame and crossmember.

I've had a Luke's Link now for just over a year and it seems to be almost wore out. I forgot about greasing it sometimes so I'm sure that is part of it but if you have the $'s get a more permanant fix. It's a great way if you're short on cash as i was then. I checked out Rock Auto and I think I'll be getting a Moog bar from them soon.

You do realize they "Lukes Links" are adjustable for wear with shims IIRC? You will be nothing but disappointed at the moog and out money you could Spend towards the 3rd gen upgrade and the problem will be a thing of the past.
  • Like 1